Welcome aboard Visitor...

Daily Screenshot

Server Costs Target


94% of target met.

Latest Topics

- Anyone still playing from a decade ago or longer? »
- Game still active. NICE! »
- Password resett »
- Darkspace Idea/Opinion Submission Thread »
- Rank Bug maybe? »
- Next patch .... »
- Nobody will remember me...but. »
- 22 years...asking for help from one community to another »
- DS on Ubuntu? »
- Medal Breakpoints »

Development Blog

- Roadmap »
- Hello strangers, it’s been a while... »
- State of DarkSpace Development »
- Potential planetary interdictor changes! »
- The Silent Cartographer »

Combat Kills

Combat kills in last 24 hours:
No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Towel Day
05/25/24 +14.7 Hours
- Weekly DarkSpace
05/25/24 +1.3 Days

Search

Anniversaries

14th - Incinarator

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Announcements » » Dev Meeting Log December 7th, 2004
 Author Dev Meeting Log December 7th, 2004
Tael
2nd Rear Admiral
Palestar


Joined: July 03, 2002
Posts: 3697
From: San Francisco Bay Area
Posted: 2004-12-07 20:04   
01:06:33 [Admin]Faustus: "nice trag... you santa for a while now?"
01:06:40 [Admin]Santa: "hehe yea"
01:06:48 [Admin]Santa: "why not, getting in teh xmas spirit"
01:07:07 [Admin]Santa: "You wanna be Mrs. Claus? "
01:07:08 Demorian: ":-P"
01:07:20 Vinco: "here"
01:07:24 Demorian: "lol"
[01:07:26 08/12/04] * [=NAR=]Antdizzle has entered the room...
01:07:26 [Admin]Faustus: "I think I'm coming down with something, feeling like crap.."
01:07:33 [=NAR=]Antdizzle: "Am I allowed here?"
01:08:18 [Admin]Santa: "I think this is a private developer meeting ant."
01:08:33 Vinco: "I have no clue"
01:08:43 Vinco: "If it's private, I should probably leave, then"
01:08:54 [Admin]Santa: "Your fine vinco."
[01:09:16 08/12/04] * [Admin]Santa gives F some NyQuil
01:10:05 [Admin]Faustus: "ok, I'm back.."
01:10:09 [Admin]Faustus: "pizza guy just came.."
01:10:26 [Admin]Santa: "You know Dr Pepper goes well with pizza.."
01:10:29 Demorian: "lol, nice"
01:10:30 [Admin]Santa: "mmm..."
[01:10:35 08/12/04] * [Admin]Santa smiles at [Admin]Faustus...
01:10:42 Demorian: "I had a chilicheese dog for lunch and wendy's for dinner"
01:10:45 Demorian: "oh yea. i eat healthy."
01:10:51 [ C `]Dwarden: "hello"
01:10:57 Vinco: "lol"
01:11:07 [Admin]Santa: "You get the spicy chicken?"
01:11:07 [Admin]Faustus: "anyway, any other devs?"
01:11:22 [Admin]Faustus: "4-meat from mazzios.."
01:11:24 [Admin]Santa: "None that I see online."
01:11:30 [Admin]Faustus: "with cheese-dipers.."
01:11:34 [Admin]Santa: "ah very nice"
01:11:40 Demorian: "Doesn't seem that way. And those of us that are here (at least I am speaking for Vin and myself) aren't planning to do anything but nod and smile."
01:11:40 Vinco: "How many devs are there?"
01:12:02 [Admin]Faustus: "@demo... thats ok, we need some noding and smiling.."
01:12:03 [Admin]Santa: "not sure where tael is though"
01:12:16 [Admin]Santa: "F you want this to be a private meeting?"
[01:12:29 08/12/04] * Vinco nods
01:12:37 [Admin]Faustus: "yeah..."
[01:12:41 08/12/04] * Vinco then smiles broadly
01:12:48 Demorian: "Okay, I will take that as clearance to do nothing but nod and smile."
01:12:54 [Admin]Santa: "Ok ant, you go gotta go.. "
01:12:55 Demorian: "And listen, of course."
01:13:02 [=NAR=]Antdizzle: ":("
01:13:05 Demorian: "And go "MM-HMMMM... or MM-MMM...""
01:13:06 [=NAR=]Antdizzle: "Okay, bye."
01:13:06 [Admin]Faustus: "ant is fine.."
01:13:16 [Admin]Santa: "Oh ok"
01:13:17 [=NAR=]Antdizzle: ":)"
[01:13:33 08/12/04] * [Admin]Santa shrugs.
01:13:37 [Admin]Faustus: "just don't want a bunch of non-devs asking bunches of questions ... "
01:13:50 [Admin]Faustus: "SHIGER!"
01:13:51 [=NAR=]Antdizzle: "I won't say anything, I'm not BackSlash."
01:14:15 [Admin]Faustus: "@shig... no problem, haven't really started yet.."
01:14:24 [Admin]Faustus: "anyway, update time..."
01:14:52 [Admin]Faustus: "I'm fixing the bugs from the feedback I've received from 1.483... for one thing, making it so you can't cloak while jumping.."
01:15:18 [Admin]Faustus: "taelron is busy with the resourcer, he's been setting the technology groups for all devices and ships.."
01:15:52 [Admin]Faustus: "which will place restrictions on which devices can go on which ships... he also has source code access, so he can change the .h files.."
01:16:08 [Admin]Faustus: "anyone else need source code access?"
01:16:19 [Admin]Santa: "I think I already have it."
01:16:25 Vinco: "No use for it with my project"
01:16:27 [Admin]Santa: "But forgot my password."
01:16:29 [Admin]Santa: ":)"
01:16:31 [Admin]Faustus: "yeah, trag you still have it.."
[01:16:33 08/12/04] * Demorian shakes head frantically. Noooo. God no. That would be a punishment.
01:16:48 [Admin]Faustus: "@vinco... yeah, you don't need it .. "
01:17:14 [Admin]Faustus: "damn, trag how many times do I have to send you your passwords.. DO YOU WRITE anything down? "
01:17:35 [Admin]Santa: "haha"
01:18:02 [Admin]Santa: "I had to log onto neptune as you to change my email password."
01:18:07 [Admin]Santa: "But anyway."
01:19:09 [Admin]Faustus: "anyway, i'm searching outlook right now.."
01:19:15 Shigernafy: "So you can remember the passwords of others, but not your own. Good."
01:19:16 [Admin]Faustus: "ok..."
01:19:36 [Admin]Faustus: "I've compiled and tested my first program on the XBOX here at the house.."
01:20:02 [Admin]Faustus: "I've got Medusa compiling into a static lib now, which since XBOX doesn't support DLL's was the first step to porting the game to XBOX.."
01:20:35 [Admin]Santa: "How'd your presentation go with that anyway?"
01:20:44 [Admin]Santa: "They gonna get a license for it?"
01:20:48 [Admin]Faustus: "I will be flopping back and forth between 1.483 changes and XBOX stuff .... basically, doing XBOX stuff while 1.483 is being tested in beta.."
01:21:36 [Admin]Faustus: "it went well, they gave me an XBOX/TV ... and want me to do a proof of concept, which basically means port it to XBOX, then 2015 will take it to other publishers.."
01:21:48 Demorian: "yay for multitasking."
01:22:25 [Admin]Faustus: "and secure funding to build a full team .... the real question right now, is if they want to do it as a MMOG, or more like Battlefield 1942 and have use-ran servers only.."
01:22:37 [Admin]Santa: "And what did they say about the idea for leaving the game to connect to.. yea"
01:22:47 [Admin]Santa: "So they wanna stick with player run servers?"
01:23:06 [Admin]Faustus: "well, thats johns attitude right now, that could change.."
01:23:26 [Admin]Santa: "How does that fit in with the MV concept then?"
01:23:40 [Admin]Santa: "Player run servers couldn't builld a full mv could they?"
01:23:50 [Admin]Santa: "Would only be scenario based correct?"
01:23:56 [Admin]Faustus: "well, if they don't want to keep it compatible with the PC and server infrastructure... I may not do it for XBOX.."
01:24:17 [Admin]Faustus: "key word "MAY"... all depends.."
01:24:33 Vinco: "on what?"
[01:24:38 08/12/04] * Vinco smiles as he asks
01:24:43 [Admin]Santa: "You think they would let the end user decide to create their own scenario or join the MV here?"
01:24:45 [Admin]Faustus: "if we could make alot of cash from an XBOX version, then palestar may make enough to fund DS2 ..."
01:24:48 [Admin]Santa: "I think that would be a better open."
01:24:57 [Admin]Santa: "open = option"
01:25:06 [Admin]Faustus: "anyway, no point in discussing that here.."
01:25:14 [Admin]Santa: "ah ok"
01:25:14 [Admin]Faustus: "thats more of a buisness decision .."
[01:25:17 08/12/04] * [Admin]Santa nods.
01:25:24 Demorian: "Aye. Thanks for the update, though."
01:26:02 [Admin]Faustus: "ok.... guys, one thing, I'm not entirely feeling great... so I may just end up getting sick and being out the rest of this week... "
01:26:15 [Admin]Faustus: "just FYI...."
01:26:21 [Admin]Faustus: "ok moving on.."
01:26:24 Demorian: "Understandable. I've got finals myself. So I've got MENTAL sickness"
01:26:38 Vinco: "Yeah... Finals next week"
01:26:50 Vinco: "We'll get on the documentation once those are done"
01:26:54 [Admin]Faustus: "@vinco... hows the palestar.com stuff coming?"
01:27:27 [Admin]Faustus: "(getting a glass of water BRB)"
01:27:37 Vinco: "some basic stuff... Until finals are over (end of next week) I don't have enough time. After that, I'm going to work my butt off on the GCQ documentation"
01:27:56 Demorian: "We're starting to get some links and feedback at the site forums, and as Vinco just said, we'll right up the docs after we're done with hell week."
01:28:10 Vinco: "If you could get someone else to take over the general website portion, and leave Dem and I for the documentation and editing, it would help us out."
01:28:33 [Admin]Santa: "What's going on on the palestar.com side?"
01:28:47 Demorian: "@Trag... see meeting log, posted on the site"
[01:29:02 08/12/04] * [Admin]Santa nods.
01:29:04 Vinco: "Documenting the GCQ interface, etc. in preparation for licensing. The meeting log has details"
01:29:50 [Admin]Santa: "ah I think I say that earlier"
01:29:58 [Admin]Santa: "Looks like quite a bit of work left. "
01:30:02 [Admin]Faustus: "ok, cool... I understand on finals and everything... school is certainly more important."
01:30:18 [Admin]Faustus: "yeah, I need to finish documenting GameCQ... kinda ran out of steam on that.."
01:30:46 Vinco: "OK. Dem and I can take care of the web portion"
01:30:50 [Admin]Faustus: "been thinking about going back and doing the project system like we disussed before.. would go a long way in helping this entire dev process staying organized.."
01:31:46 Demorian: "That would be handy. We're really low on active staff to do so at the moment, however."
01:31:56 [Admin]Faustus: "trag... what have you been up to lately, anything?"
01:31:57 [Admin]Santa: "hrmm, want me to find something F?"
01:32:01 Vinco: "Well... If you can get someone else to handle the miscellaneous website stuff, Dem and I can boost ahead on the documentation"
01:32:25 [Admin]Santa: "Not too much, whatcha need F?"
01:32:39 [Admin]Santa: "Find a project system?"
01:32:41 [Admin]Faustus: "@santa... sure, that should be a nice christmas present... but I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to write it, because it needs to be intergrated with the existing user system..."
01:33:07 [Admin]Santa: "hrmm, more than likely yea"
01:33:11 [Admin]Faustus: "but please, do look around... if we could find something to replace mantis and act as a project management system that would be great.."
01:33:35 [Admin]Santa: "If you can give me an overview on what you'd like to see it'll help me out."
01:33:41 [Admin]Faustus: "ok, anything I need to be doing other than implementing the 1.483 changes?"
01:33:53 [Admin]Santa: "Getting well."
01:34:05 [Admin]Faustus: "@santa.... project system: multiple projects, tasks for each project can be created and assigned, etc..."
01:34:08 Demorian: "What Trag said, and getting ready to put on your armor."
01:34:15 [Admin]Faustus: "bugs can be reported for a project.."
01:34:35 Vinco: "Is there anyone who can take over the website aspect of Palestar? (sorry, but it REALLY would help, and I'm not that good at web development)"
01:34:36 Demorian: "Because when this patch is released, the community is going to go ******KWA?????****** and I'm going to go out on a limb and predict they're gonna be like "change this and change that!""
01:34:37 [Admin]Santa: "I thinking I started on a project system long time ago, but I just scrapped it."
01:35:12 [Admin]Faustus: "@vinco ... trag and shig are the most experienced besides myself... "
01:35:29 [Admin]Faustus: "@demo.. your prolly right"
01:35:30 [Admin]Santa: "But you want an integrated project system / bug reporting all in one right?"
01:35:33 Shigernafy: "Heh."
01:35:41 Vinco: "true. I think it should go deeper into staff, though"
01:35:42 [Admin]Faustus: "@santa.. yeah, that would be nice.."
01:35:44 Demorian: "With this patch more than ever we need to just sit back and let the community scream, Faustus."
01:35:51 Vinco: "There must be some talent in the staff pool"
01:35:58 Demorian: "Because even though they'll be screaming, they'll still be testing it, and getting used to it."
01:36:05 [Admin]Faustus: "ok... listen..."
01:36:08 Demorian: "And the screams may just die down as they catch on..."
01:37:31 [Admin]Faustus: "basically, with this patch... here is what needs to happen, we need to make the necessary changes to make the game balanced... people are not going to like it, but it's gotta happen.. and we will certainly take a hit from all the griefers early on because of it... but I hope in the long run it will help.... additionally, feature creep has got to stop, I've let way too many user suggested features come into the game without really thinking about the implications of those changes..."
01:38:10 [Admin]Faustus: "the ship modifcation changes for example... have done a great deal of damage to this game.."
01:38:16 Demorian: "It is very gratifying to hear you say that."
01:38:35 [Admin]Faustus: "the ability to change your ship devices wasn't in the original version if you guys remember back that far.."
01:38:40 [Admin]Santa: "Can we pull the plug on interdictors? "
[01:38:47 08/12/04] * Vinco remembers
01:39:05 Shigernafy: "Yeah, I remember that."
01:39:11 Demorian: "Of course. That was when the game was most entertaining, if you don't mind my saying so... though I know it was incomplete, so moving on was inevitable."
01:39:19 [Admin]Faustus: "@santa... whats the prob with interdictors?"
01:39:57 Drafell Moraxi: "there no countermeasure to dictors"
01:40:01 Shigernafy: "It was "limited" in a way, and not so customizable, but it also allows us to much more easily control balance, which can be good as well."
01:40:09 [Admin]Santa: "lag, cpu usage, etc"
01:40:15 Drafell Moraxi: "as well"
01:40:28 Shigernafy: "Interdictors are just annoying. There's nothing wrong with them, and they play what I consider an interesting strategic role, but they're still annoying"
01:40:32 [Admin]Faustus: "@draf... ok, thats a good argument.."
01:40:46 BackSlash {DSUKM}: "The platairy ones are fine."
01:40:48 [Admin]Santa: "Yea, what shig said."
01:41:04 [Admin]Faustus: "@shig... yeah, thats why we don't have customization in the beginning, because we knew balancing the game would be much harder.."
01:41:24 Demorian: "But not one we need to investigate until 1.484+, Faustus. I don't know what 483 does with dictors, but it would truly be best if we didn't meddle at all with what's been planned, if only by virtue of the fact that the community has been promised SO much by this patch."
01:42:00 [Admin]Faustus: "@demorian.. actually, I plan to follow the 1.483 design entirely... no deviations if possible."
01:42:14 Demorian: "Score. I'll shut up again, then."
[01:42:15 08/12/04] * Demorian nods.
[01:42:16 08/12/04] * Demorian smiles.
01:42:17 [Admin]Faustus: "and let me tell you, some things are not easy he has in the design.. "
[01:42:24 08/12/04] * Vinco smiles
01:42:54 [Admin]Faustus: "alrightly guys, I really want to go lay down for a while and get some sleep... going to go reply to a few emals first.."
01:43:10 [Admin]Faustus: "see ya all next tuesday.."
01:43:12 BackSlash {DSUKM}: "Will there be a public Dev meeting any time soon?"
01:43:32 Shigernafy: "No. Never. We will actually be building a large wall around Dev Headquarters at Palestar."
[01:43:52 08/12/04] * Drafell Moraxi phones up the local building contractors
01:43:54 [Admin]Faustus: "@back...yeah, we should have one soon... I'll schedule one for sometime next week when I know the wifes work schedule.."
01:43:59 Shigernafy: "And we have hired security forces who will shoot anyone in yellow who approaches the wall."
01:44:01 [Admin]Santa: "Send me that email if ya find it F. "
01:44:05 BackSlash {DSUKM}: "Thanks "
01:44:14 BackSlash {DSUKM}: "Im going to hire me a JVC then Shig"
01:44:14 Drafell Moraxi: "100meter high enoug? with gun emplacements?h"
01:44:26 Shigernafy: "dangit Faustus.. you're supposed to go with me on this.. "
01:44:32 BackSlash {DSUKM}: "All I want to know is what graphics changes are in 1.483 ^^"
01:44:45 [Admin]Faustus: "@trag... sent... #3"
01:44:50 [Admin]Santa: "k"
01:45:03 [Admin]Santa: "Hey F how about anohter interview soon?"
01:45:06 [Admin]Santa: "Like in a couple of weeks?"
[01:45:09 08/12/04] * BackSlash {DSUKM} begins applauding [Admin]Santa...
01:45:19 BackSlash {DSUKM}: "Nail on the head."
01:45:25 [Admin]Santa: "It's been about a year, may be time "
01:46:43 BackSlash {DSUKM}: "Thanks for letting us stay in on this meeting btw"
01:46:43 Shigernafy: "Alright, gotta go milk the cows. See ya later."
01:46:48 BackSlash {DSUKM}: "Its been a great eye opener"
[01:46:53 08/12/04] * BackSlash {DSUKM} waves to Shigernafy...
01:47:09 [Admin]Santa: "hehe learn anything back?"
01:47:17 BackSlash {DSUKM}: "A bit"
01:47:32 BackSlash {DSUKM}: "I must say, 90% of what I saw made me breath a sigh of relif"
01:47:34 Shigernafy: "Oh, can we move the Suggestions forum back to the release side? Beta Testing Discussion should stay here, but I don't like getting all the suggestions spread among various forums on the release side, because people can't find the forum anymore."
01:47:49 BackSlash {DSUKM}: "And the Developer announcements"
01:48:10 Drafell Moraxi: "is it possible to make a release side suggestion forum point to beta?"
01:48:15 BackSlash {DSUKM}: "Or at least move the certain topics about the website sig limitations info to release "
01:48:31 [Admin]Santa: "hrmm"
01:48:36 Shigernafy: "Back: they're no longer in place, I don't think"
01:48:47 Shigernafy: "Drafell: Why do that when the forum belongs on the release side?"
01:48:55 Drafell Moraxi: "you click the link it takes you to beta website. would help to keep it in one place"
01:49:02 Shigernafy: "You can see my reasoning in the post I wrote asking for it to be moved; I think it makes a lot more sense to put it over there."
01:49:09 BackSlash {DSUKM}: "True, a simple hyperlink would work fine."
01:49:20 Shigernafy: "Plus, people are lazy, and I don't like having to move a couple threads a day."
01:49:42 BackSlash {DSUKM}: "people are = shig is "
01:49:43 Shigernafy: "You're proposing workarounds, when the problem itself can be corrected just as easily."
01:50:08 Shigernafy: "No, people are lazy and are not coming to beta to post suggestions, just sticking them in a random release forum instead. Then I have to NOT be lazy and move them here."
01:50:12 BackSlash {DSUKM}: "True, it is a pain in the but to scroll down and click beta."
01:50:29 Drafell Moraxi: "dumb isp.."
01:50:35 Drafell Moraxi: "where was i..."
01:50:44 Shigernafy: "Anyway, the cows are lowing at me."
01:50:56 BackSlash {DSUKM}: "Go milk them sir Shig"
01:51:03 Drafell Moraxi: "oh yes... because a lot of people who make suggestionsh ave no idea about what is going on in the beta site"
01:51:52 Drafell Moraxi: "We just need a bug forum on release"
01:52:38 Drafell Moraxi: "and it helps to stop information being duplicated needlessly if it is all in one place"
01:54:28 BackSlash {DSUKM}: "You know what"
01:54:31 BackSlash {DSUKM}: "One thing i'd love in DS"
01:54:41 BackSlash {DSUKM}: "would be for that FRIGIN shimmer in the view screen to DIE on ATI cards"
01:54:50 Drafell Moraxi: "hmm"
01:54:58 Drafell Moraxi: "seems my chat was bugged"
01:55:09 BackSlash {DSUKM}: "how so?"
01:55:18 Drafell Moraxi: "as in, nothing showing"
01:56:08 Mariano (Peace): "."
01:56:27 Drafell Moraxi: "yes"
01:56:28 Drafell Moraxi: "."
01:57:31 BackSlash {DSUKM}: "Im liking where DS is heading"
01:57:34 BackSlash {DSUKM}: "I think..."

_________________


  Email Tael
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy


Joined: March 23, 2003
Posts: 11183
From: Bristol, England
Posted: 2004-12-08 04:17   
Quote:

01:13:51 [=NAR=]Antdizzle: "I won't say anything, I'm not BackSlash."



.

Thanks for letting those of us who did, stay. Was a lot of nice info in that meeting that rekindled my hopes for DS.
_________________


Antdizzle


Joined: February 07, 2003
Posts: 860
Posted: 2004-12-08 05:19   
Quote:

On 2004-12-08 04:17, BackSlash {DSUKM} wrote:
Quote:

01:13:51 [=NAR=]Antdizzle: "I won't say anything, I'm not BackSlash."



.

Thanks for letting those of us who did, stay. Was a lot of nice info in that meeting that rekindled my hopes for DS.



I meant that is a good way. You ask a lot of questions, that is good. Sometimes they are irrelevant, but you are still asking questions.
_________________


BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy


Joined: March 23, 2003
Posts: 11183
From: Bristol, England
Posted: 2004-12-09 10:31   
When are they irrleivant...I remember specificly asking questions in the last GAMECQ meeting about the website only, and what we could expect from it....
_________________


Page created in 0.185396 seconds.


Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR