No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 +5.2 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Suggestions: Space Docks & Shipyards.
 Author Suggestions: Space Docks & Shipyards.
Wyke {ThorsHammer}
Cadet

Posted: 2004-12-07 14:19   

I suggestion a new structure, Space Dock. A Space Dock is similar in function to a shipyard, it can dock ships and act like a spawn point for garraged ships. However it cannot construct new ships and therefore it would require about 3/4 those of the resources required for a shipyard.

It would encourage the vunerable shipyards to be confined to safe backwater and inner core worlds. The same for new ships, they would spawn at safe inner core worlds. Space Docks on boarder lands would feed the game play by allowing access to garraged ships depots and mitage away from the situation of people respawning multiple new ships.

Ship Yards and Space Dock should function like one depot, and repair docked ships that remain selected on the players sy screen.

I suggest this combining of features means it is a tech level 3 structure with resource requirements, perhaps we could have other level 3 structures.

Star Ports could be reworked to function like a Space Docks for small ships. They could dock/land(#1). Level 1, Scouts, Light Transports; Level 2, Frigates, Supply, Engineer; Level 3, Destroyers and Heavy Transport, Engineers and Supplies.

Perhaps. Level 1-3 Depots, Level 1-3 Sensor Bases and Level 1-3 Factories required for higher tech components.

#1. What ships land ?

I've always though of smaller ships as landing, but not dreads or cruisers, perhaps destroyers and frigates.

This leads me to another idea. Perhaps instead of a planet collision, if a planet is friendly and it has an appropriate landing facility the ship automatically docks/lands by ILS. If the planet is hostile, the ship continues to crash and burn. A good side effect of this would be newbies would get a safety cushion against planet collision, while in 'safe' areas that would steadily be withdrawn as they progressed in rank and further from friendly systems.

Email Wyke {ThorsHammer}
RagAnok
Admiral

Posted: 2004-12-07 16:56   
Yes I think this is a good idea, it would stop the shipyard abuse. It all so would have the added bonus for game play.

Telekinesis, thats what you need, just lay back and let your mind do the walking

Exavier_Macbeth
Cadet

Posted: 2004-12-07 19:29   
then they would need to do something about the 2min timer to log out and respawn... It would be rather hard to get back into battle if you have to jump 3-4 times everytime your ship explodes...

Edit - Figured I'd add more... if general ship storage space was increased so we could hold more ships then It probobly wouldn't be a problem...

[ This Message was edited by: Exavier_Macbeth on 2004-12-07 19:30 ]
How will we greet him?
With swift and certain death!

twitch
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-12-07 23:59   
back in the day when shipyards were a twinkle in F's eye's, you had to jump all the way from your factions home gate to where the battle was taking place... I liked this, it gave attackers an advantage to begin with which became severly less as they moved further into enemy space (further to travel to reinforce the attacking force when destroyed)

Ideally id like to see something that resembled this somehow in that a defending force has an advantage if pushed further into their own territory.

Whatcha think?

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2004-12-08 03:59   
Quote:

On 2004-12-07 23:59, twitch {Dark Angels} wrote:
I liked this, it gave attackers an advantage to begin with which became severly less as they moved further into enemy space (further to travel to reinforce the attacking force when destroyed)

Actualy if you died and had a ship in the garage you could respawn in that system

twitch
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-12-08 23:45   
this is true...

perhaps a limit on how far away from your home system you can place a shipyard/ship dock, maybe you can only build shipyards on planets within your home systems (the ones connected to your home system via jumpgates) and maybe while you cant build shipyards in enemy systems you can capture them working and use them the same way as normal.

or perhaps make it so you cant use enemy shipyards at all, it would increase the defensive powers of factions when fighting in their own systems and give stations and other wormhole wielding ships a bigger role in the transport of new forces relativly quickly to the battle front

your thoughts?

Meko
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-12-10 23:40   
Quote:
...perhaps make it so you cant use enemy shipyards at all, it would ...

or maybe u have to cap the shipyard seperatly from the planet? and say it holds 24 infantry?

Email Meko
Page created in 0.016850 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR