Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +2.5 Days

Search

Anniversaries

20th - Relient
19th - Entil-Zha the Starkiller

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » All Those From Third World Countries.....
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author All Those From Third World Countries.....
whateverr
Cadet

Posted: 2004-11-26 14:11   
ermm... /me reconsiders this thread considering most third world countries don't have Al Gore's great invention called the "INTERNET"

but, if somehow the marvel of science and technology has reached your poverty stricken forgotten country, do say "HI" here

Feralwulf
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-11-26 20:36   
I'm from the Southeastern United States, Does that count?

Xilaratu
Cadet

Posted: 2004-11-26 21:02   
Pfft.. same feral

luisemv
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-11-26 21:28   
HI

Proximity
Cadet

Posted: 2004-11-26 22:00   
To clarify for those confused.

Highly Industrialized Countries like the U.S. and Britian are considered 1st World, Europe is considered 2nd World, and everything else is third world.

Email Proximity
Meko
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-11-26 23:45   
i know you made this thread thinkin of me!!

Ni Hao! Keyi nimen dong duo wo hanyu?! hahaha hao hao.

Greetings from chinaland....

Email Meko
Sven
Cadet
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-11-27 00:16   
Since you've apparently left a certain 1st wordly country out,

Heres Hi, from Canada. Silly Americans, forum posts are for kids!

Sven Viking: Dynamiting himself to pieces since 5/30/2003!

Dempster
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-11-27 01:35   
hey im a "Torontonian"!

Meko
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-11-27 01:47   
you rejects the canadian thread was started, by me, to mock hellzas aussie thread that ive seen more than once before.

and now look at this blasphamis trend..... its horrible i tell you. Horrible.

Email Meko
Piotr-san
Chief Marshal
*Renegade Space Marines*

Posted: 2004-11-27 05:59   
A small text to clarify what a 3rd country really is...

Third world is a term originally used to distinguish those nations that neither aligned with the West nor with the East during the Cold War. These countries are also known as the Global South, developing countries, and least developed countries in academic circles. Development workers also call them the two-thirds world and The South. Some dislike the term developing countries as it implies that industrialisation is the only way forward, while they believe it is not necessarily the most beneficial.

Many "third world" countries are located in Africa, Latin America, and Asia. They are often nations that were colonized by another nation in the past. The populations of third world countries are generally very poor but with high birth rates. In general they are not as industrialized or technologically advanced as the first world. The majority of the countries in the world fit this classification.

The term "third world" was coined by economist Alfred Sauvy in an article in the French magazine Le Nouvel Observateur of August 14, 1952. It was a deliberate reference to the "Third Estate" of the French Revolution. Tiers monde means third world in French. The term gained widespread popularity during the Cold War when many poorer nations adopted the category to describe themselves as neither being aligned with NATO or the USSR, but instead composing a non-aligned "third world" (in this context, the term "First World" was generally understood to mean the United States and its allies in the Cold War, which would have made the East bloc the "Second World" by default; however, the latter term was seldom actually used).

Leading members of this original "third world" movement were Yugoslavia, India, and Egypt. Many third world countries believed they could successfully court both the communist and capitalist nations of the world, and develop key economic partnerships without necessarily falling under their direct influence. In practice, this plan did not work out quite so well; many third world nations were exploited or undermined by the two superpowers who feared these supposedly neutral nations were in danger of falling into alignment with the enemy.

The dependency theory suggests that multinational corporations and organizations such as the IMF and World Bank have contributed to making third world countries dependent on first world countries for economic survival. The theory states that this dependence is self-maintaining because the economic systems tend to benefit first world countries and corporations. Scholars also question whether the idea of development is biased in favor of Western thought. They debate whether population growth is a main source of problems in the third world or if the problems are more complex and thorny than that. Policy makers disagree on how much involvement first world countries should have in the third world and whether third world debts should be canceled.

The issues are complicated by the stereotypes of what third world and first world countries are like. People in the first world, for example, often describe third world countries as underdeveloped, overpopulated, and oppressed. Third world people are sometimes portrayed as uneducated, helpless, or backwards. Modern scholarship has taken steps to make academic discourse more conscious of the differences not only between the first world and the third world, but also among the countries and people of each category.

Griller_GT
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-11-27 06:21   
FYI The Internet has make inroads into the least expected places in the word..

In any case... Hi I live in Spain now but I used to live in Guatemala, if anybody cares to remember

Internet there was kinda expensive but at least you had the option to connect, hehehe...

Boy am I gonna get in trouble...!

PS How is this still online??

Email Griller_GT
Smith
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-11-27 15:25   
Quote:

On 2004-11-26 14:11, Dark Prophet {Absolut} wrote:
ermm... /me reconsiders this thread considering most third world countries don't have Al Gore's great invention called the "INTERNET"

actually gore didnt invent the net, he help get it out into the private sector. now if u wanna talk inventors or i should say founding fathers of the net then these two are who you are looking for, Vinton Cerf and Robert Kahn. they helped invent most of the protocol for the net. also it wasnt totally invented by the government its basic components were developed by the government and these two gentlemen and was nurtured in its youth by the government untill it was ready to be released into the private sector and become the thriving internet it is today. hehehehe

[small][ This Message was edited by: Smith on 2004-11-27 15:28 ][/small]

[ This Message was edited by: Smith on 2004-11-27 15:31 ]

Fatal Rocko Willis
Fleet Admiral
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2004-11-27 16:10   
And to add to the above post .. the Internet was originally designed to be strictly used as a secure communications network between US military bases worldwide. It was invisioned as a way to communicate information securely in the event of a global war during the "Cold War" years, but with the fall of the USSR it was decided it was not needed for military use, even though the US military now uses a simulair system called "SiperNet" *Spelling may be off*, and thus was opened up for the use of the general public... *remembers dialing up to BBS's with his 2400 Baud Modem*

And as far as the topic goes... I am not from a "Third World" country but I am currently deployed to a country that was, and currently looks like one.... Iraq.... So does that count?

Rocko Willis

"Live from Iraq, It's Saturday Night!"

Email Fatal Rocko Willis
Valerius{DK}
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-11-27 19:32   
just to rectify some misbeliefs as to what 1st 2nd and 2rd worlds are.

1st worlds are NOT JUST the US, Britain and "Canada" (/me runs for the hills) it is actually all post-modern nations, meaning it is USA, Canada, EU, Australia and Japan.

2nd worlds are the nation that are industrialized but still not technologically and economically advanced like the 1st world. These are China, India, Russia, former east-block (most of eastern europe), pakistan and most of the middle-east.

3rd worlds are the countries that fail to achiece a stable economy or even smaller hints of organized unions and inustrial areas. Most of the 3rd world nation are in South America, Indo-china and Africa, but can also be found in the newer nations of the former USSR (Soviet Union). These nations are most commonly found to be dictatorships or militarian regimes.

Email Valerius{DK}
-Pojo
Cadet

Posted: 2004-11-27 20:03   
Quote:

On 2004-11-27 15:25, Smith wrote:
Quote:

On 2004-11-26 14:11, Space Woob wrote:

[...] actually gore didnt invent the net, [...]

So true, but back in the 2000 US election he claimed he was the sole inventor, which I believe is what Woob is poking fun at...maybe...

Email -Pojo
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.037997 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR