Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +2.5 Days

Search

Anniversaries

20th - Relient
19th - Entil-Zha the Starkiller

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » HOW LAME ARE YOU?!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
 Author HOW LAME ARE YOU?!
Dreadlock Holiday
Admiral

Posted: 2004-11-22 08:13   
To find out check the player rankings for self destructs (SDs).

Now of course, some people have been playing longer than others. Taelron for example has 845 SDs but has been playing since October 2001. Then again, Tops has been playing almost as long - December 2001 and has only 67 SDs.

I suggest a new ranking table should be formed usng a calculation taking number of SDs and amount of time spent playing to create a "MOST LAME" table.

Where am I going with this? Well, I feel that SD is being abused by people who simply would rather have a SD against their name rather than a "killed". Very sad I know, but true.

I suggest that unless you are being boarded or unless activating SD would cause damage to a nearby enemy ship, then doing so should incurr a SERIOUSLY BIG prestige hit. The more prestige you have, the bigger the hit you should take.

Self destructing to avoid being killed is incredibly pathetic and un-sports-man-like. People who do it need to grow up and get a life!

whateverr
Cadet

Posted: 2004-11-22 08:45   
Couple things

First of all, you get a "killed" added to your score when you PC or SD
the only thing is the person or ppl shooting you don't get a "kill"

Second, Taelron is [Admin]Tael... so not to smart implying that he's "lame"

Third, ppl can SD all day if they want, it's their account...

They lose Pres
They lose Resources
They gain Deaths

a SD in no way benefits the player that SD's

So frankly since the SD feature has no flaws i see no reason to change it.
We have WAY more critical issue in this game than ppl SD'ing

Dreadlock Holiday
Admiral

Posted: 2004-11-22 09:37   
Well thanks for putting me right on few points. However, robbing people of a kill is as LAME as anything else and something I forgot to mention.

I did not imply that Taelron is LAME because as I made clear: LAMEness would have to take into account not only number of SDs but time spent playing. A comparison of everyones scores would then be needed.

Futhermore, if god himself was lame I would say so.

So frankly, SD is flawed because it is exploited in order to rob people of kills. This is LAME and unsporting and could easily be addressed as I outlined.

Yes DS has more critical problems, but this is the suggestion forum where people should feel free to post anything they think will make the game better.

Thorium
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-11-22 09:39   
also when stuck in jump... SD.
systems down cannt jump, cannt fire... SD
in a staion want to have some fun? fly over to camped... i mean defending ships... SD (may need some supplys to help with that one).

i think the real problem here is you dont get a +1 to your kills (imo)...

Doran
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2004-11-22 09:42   
i have 1. and thats 2 more than i want (darned non-adjustable keys)

Spaceflower (Swe)
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2004-11-22 10:05   
I have 3 SD's but NONE are "real" SD's.

I clame there be a bug where you while pressing too many buttons or doing some key combo (not the SD combo) will result in a SD warning.. and if you not pay attention fast enough... *boom*.

I think it's a little cheep (lame) to use SD as a easy way of escaping or as a way to cheet enemys of their kill. But if you can "sacrifice" your self while saving a teammate or as a despereate way turn the tide of a battle and ram a station/hive. I'm all for it. But i will not speculate why certian players have more SD's then others.

Rogue Spear
Grand Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2004-11-22 10:07   
I wouldnt call SDing "lame". I think of it as a tactical manuever. Its a valuable tool in my dusty little bag of tricks that I use around here. Ever get in a situation where your about to get killed by someone who you just cant afford to be destroyed by?

I for example am a pillar of this community. Those who know me know that I am a pilot who is guided by honor, courage, and skill. It would critically damage if not destroy our beloved community if I get killed by someone such as "Axianda" or "Evil Bob". Therefore I selflessly SD my ship so my positive legacy can survive another day.

Maybe you shouldnt be so selfish..........

Proximity
Cadet

Posted: 2004-11-22 10:13   
Don't worry Rogue I'll try and bow every time I see your pillar sticking up.

Email Proximity
Dreadlock Holiday
Admiral

Posted: 2004-11-22 11:30   
Let's not beat around the bush. A lot of lamers SD simply to rob others of the kill.
There are only 2 valid reasons for SDing, when you have been boarded and when you want to try and take someone with you. Anything else is SD exploitation.

Quote:
also when stuck in jump... SD.

That is a bug. You shouldn't have to SD - the bug should be fixed. Alternatively you can log...

Quote:
systems down cannt jump, cannt fire... SD

Wait for repair or if taking fire die like a man. No supps about and not under fire then log...

Everyone knows why the majority of people SD and there is nothing honourable or clever about it. If there is a simpe fix out there (like heavy prestige penalty) then let's have it.

Drow
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-11-22 11:30   
Interesting. Complaining about lameness. Yet when I send a msg to a attacker of mine that I am stuck in jump lock, nice bug there, so I cant move. avoid, fight back, my attacker just laughs and kills me anyway, just to get a kill/measly pres gain.

Hows that for lame/unsportsmanship.

bla. It is only a game at that point.

AdmBito
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-11-22 11:59   
You get an Self Destruct on your profile for blowing yourself up with bombs and mines too. Been there a few too many times. And, on the odd occaision, if you happen to shoot yourself with torpedos....thats an SD too... Did that a few times. Self Destruct counts cover all bases of self kill, currently.

Add that to your lameness score.

Bito

Puppies gotta die, too.

Dreadlock Holiday
Admiral

Posted: 2004-11-22 13:41   
Drow I totally agree. The problem is how do you know if the other person is really bugged or faking it? The only solution is to fix the bug...

Erm by the way, I was not actually serious about a lameness score... but anyone who kills themselves in the ways described by AdmBito.. torping yourself? LMAO!
That must take some practice. Deserves a category all of it's own. But you're right Bito. The game should differentiate between hitting the SD button and bombing yourself or hitting your own mines. LOL.

Valerius{DK}
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-11-22 14:26   
Quote:

On 2004-11-22 11:59, AdmBito wrote:
You get an Self Destruct on your profile for blowing yourself up with bombs and mines too. Been there a few too many times. And, on the odd occaision, if you happen to shoot yourself with torpedos....thats an SD too... Did that a few times. Self Destruct counts cover all bases of self kill, currently.

Add that to your lameness score.

Bito

Mines...
Been there done that

Bombs...
Seen it happen

Torps...
Cant happen, torps do have splash damage, but it is nearly imposible to torp yourself to death, since they pass right through you (if you dont believe me, go into the nav map - target yourself - enter normal map - fire weapons), the only way would be to detonate the torps once they leave their respective tubes and that requires a whole lot of torps

Email Valerius{DK}
Fornax
Marshal
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2004-11-22 14:30   
Yes, it's not easy to do actually. You have to fire your torps and then jump to a position ahead of them and in the path.

I'll reiterate my own position. A player is never obligated to allow another player to kill him or her. A parallel suggestion is that once you start a fight, you are obligated to finish it --- no jumping out to hit a depot at 1%-99% hull --- you must stay in the battle.

Your suggestion is really for dueling type situations, not the "real MV".

Nax

Xilaratu
Cadet

Posted: 2004-11-22 15:05   
I've killed myself with AM torps before. By accident. :p

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Page created in 0.034024 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR