Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +2.7 Days

Search

Anniversaries

20th - Relient
19th - Entil-Zha the Starkiller

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Video Cards and Lag
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
 Author Video Cards and Lag
Flint24
Cadet

Posted: 2004-11-26 00:25   
OK lets clear up a few things to the peps out there who think lag and fps are the same.THEY ARE NOT.Now if your trying to run your graphics to the max like most avid gamers relize that its a lot of objects out there that graphics card is trying to render.I say we all switch to linux read more books pay ATTENTION in school and party only on weekends ive done all these. I have a 9600 something not going to tell you guys >_<.Anyway back to more trying to kill %@!%?&*~ in a friget.Piece of @#$% ship.

Email Flint24
Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2004-11-26 02:53   
I just have an old 32 mb GeForce 2 Go, on a gig-ish P3 processor, 512 ram. I have played on a 28.8 connection in the past and done just fine (though I've heard that this is now difficult since 1.481, but I've had a different connection since then). Since then, I've played on a connection this is roughly equivalent to a 56k dialup connection with few problems. It generally runs quite well.
... though there's definitely a difference when I go somewhere like Nicea.

And my FPS is by no means extraordinary, but it works most of the time, except, again, when I'm somewhere like Nicea.

Don't know if you still care, but there's a bit more data for your little survey.

Email Shigernafy
Flint24
Cadet

Posted: 2004-11-26 03:10   
O ya and if you do turn off all other programs while playing it will run "better" now hold on it depends to.uselly if you turn off your firewall and av crapp youll unplug your connection bandwith a little also depends.

Email Flint24
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2004-11-26 06:56   
My system is fine with only occasional lag. I think what people are experiencing is LOW fps, when the system is strugeling to display frames, it cuts off resources to other places (IE NETWORK), this is probably the couse of this, although there probably are some code ineficiencies in DS.

I myself have no problems with FPS from 100-433. I live in the UK with a ping of 150~ constantly and I have very little lag, sometimes in battle whe nteh zone server starts doing its thing it de-sync's and I think what we are experiencing is more de-sync than lag...when I turn and it starts jumping about (de-sync) people start yelling lag...its probably related...

Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2004-11-26 09:21   
based on a few suggestions here, I tried the following;

I have downrated some of the detail settings.
I have close all programs in my taskmanager except my firewall.
Disabled Norton

The result??
Other people screaming "I'M LAGGED!!! CRAP!!" while I fly around in perfect sinc and kill them. My combat kills have begun coming up, and my deaths have slowed. Remarkable what a little less lag allows me to do.

I urge everyone out there having lag issues to address their video cards and drivers, and try closing everything else. I also have fighters/missles set to almost nill, btw. See fighters I need to, but not a screen full of red and green dots that kill my video.

Email Azreal   Goto the website of Azreal
Dempster
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-11-27 01:03   
HIVE POWER

Strategery
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-11-27 02:28   
As to what Az said, I did that a few weeks ago and it definately does do a difference. I haven't shut down my task manager programs as there are about 30 of em going at any given time and to be perfectly honest, i know what maybe 5 of em are doing, and it probably isn't much benifit to me as i can't seem to find any.

JRE, you have a great processor, why don't you quit being cheap and invest in a new card so you can reap some of the benifits of that thing. Even i have a Radeon 7000pro that i bought over a year ago, and the thing is still pretty nice. What annoys me is I was in the game store a week ago, and most of the games I wanted, Especially anything thats come out in the last 6 months, wouldn't even function on my card if they were feeling generous on a given day.

I've gotten to the point where my comp is starting to annoy me as i'm getting more into games (kinda cause i have more time to play em now). It's hard to find stuff that will actually function even Marginally, so I basically need a new comp.

I've gotten a little off topic. On the whole issue of cards causing lag, I just suggest people should go into the DS settings, lower some of the default auto set specs. They basically auto-detect your card and set according to what it thinks your card can handle. I know gamers usually want the maximum out of their card, but i think it's far better to find a compromise between max graphical output and functionality. Actually, most rational people woudl want function over spectacular graphics. Whats the point high resolution graphics if you can't even play the game?

Out

[S.W] Grand Admiral Strategery
ICC Master Battle Strategist (ret.)
Proud Commander of the C.S.S. Ticonderoga

Email Strategery
Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2004-11-27 03:41   
Oh yeah, good point.. I have about 30 processes running, in the Task Manager. I don't run Anti-Virus or any other such background process continually. I generally just have iTunes running in the background, so I have some musical accompaniment.

I do have my resolution quite high: I play everything at 1600x1200, so that's theoretically a bit of work for my graphics card. I have the Detail set to Medium, and all three sliders average on 50%. I set my FPS limit to 30, since after that there's little that the eye can detect; besides, I'm running on an LCD (hence the set high resolution), so things are going to streak if they're moving very fast anyway, even if they are updated 50 times a second.

Overall, it plays very well. I don't know how much this game settings matter, though, as most other games I play also look and play very well. It might seem kinda old and somewhat weak, but it works very well. I'm certainly happy with it, especially for it being on its fourth year now.

Email Shigernafy
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2004-11-27 04:30   
Quote:

On 2004-11-27 03:41, Shigernafy wrote:
I do have my resolution quite high: I play everything at 1600x1200, so that's theoretically a bit of work for my graphics card.

Thats pretty good for your pc...

Fatal Rocko Willis
Fleet Admiral
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2004-11-28 02:37   
Well the computer I first used to play DS (and by the way I still have it back home in Kentucky with DS still loaded) is a HP Model 531w with 256mb of ram, a 1.2Gig proc and am ATI 7000 (non pro i think) and all with a 56k Modem... I have streamlined the thing as much as I can without giving it a total headache and it seems to handle DS quite well... Now the PC I have been using down in Florida (where I am currently stationed at when in the USA) is a Dell Dimension running 2.4Ghz 256MB mem, 5200 Ultra (i think thats right) and a 56K Modem... DS runs really nice..

I have to say that Bandwidth is a major thing to think about.. if there is more bandwidth then all is good BUT if you do not have a really good CPU/FSB to handle all the friggin data that flows back and forth all the bandwidth will be for naught. It is actually a case of several things causing Lag/de-sync ... I believe that is the key.. although WE, as users, can do our part to reduce lag/de-sync we also need to have a stronger server package... that needs to be purchased.. so stop mucking around you frelling loafers and SUB! LOL j/k about the loafers part...

Rocko

Email Fatal Rocko Willis
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Page created in 0.017271 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR