Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 +1.3 Days

Search

Anniversaries

16th - Eve_is_crap
14th - Durden

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Announcements » » Developer Update 10/27/2004...
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
 Author Developer Update 10/27/2004...
Antdizzle

Posted: 2004-10-27 22:42   
Medusa is an engine. If you get it there will be no way you can do anything to DS. You won't be able to mod it or make it(unless you have a lot of time and experience).

Coeus {NCX-Charger}
Admiral, I can't read,
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-10-27 22:46   
Ant, what I'm saying is would we be allowed to reproduce a game that uses much of what we're familiar with in DS (such as the interface, the playing field, planets & all that). Or, I was wondering if we could use the knowledge obtained from reading the engine's source code to make our own DS servers (not pres enabled, obviously) that use modified variables (might even be able to get it running in 3d or something... eep!)

Just thinking aloud

Darkspace: Twilight

Goto the website of Coeus {NCX-Charger}
Antdizzle

Posted: 2004-10-27 22:53   
Faustus would have to give you some code to Darkspace to do any of that stuff.

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2004-10-27 22:58   
You'd be breaching copywrite.

Coeus {NCX-Charger}
Admiral, I can't read,
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-10-27 23:01   
Not if permission was given you donut... lol

Antdizzle

Posted: 2004-10-27 23:04   
Faustus won't give you the source to Darkspace. All hell would break lose.

[ This Message was edited by: Antdizzle on 2004-10-27 23:06 ]

Coeus {NCX-Charger}
Admiral, I can't read,
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-10-28 00:04   
God knows I don't want it - I hate coding. I want it to go to trustworthy people who can maniuplate it.

Fatal Rocko Willis
Fleet Admiral
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2004-10-28 01:41   
Personnaly myself I hope that the Big F does not, ever, release the source code to DarkSpace.... Case in Point....

A smaller company comes up with a game that takes the gaming community by storm, selling tons of games and has a solid, fanatical following. The company sells the source code and a couple of guys take that code and make it into one of the largest multiplayer games..... in return it kills the amount of players on the original games to a fraction of it's former self... Do you know what game I am talking about?

Half-Life to CounterStrike.....

Look in both and see how many are playing each...... HL used to rule the roost now CS does... all because the game's sorce code was sold....

I like DS the way it is, I like who is the lead programmer and I like the current Dev's.... I hope and pray the source code never gets sold... unless the whole thing ... Lock, Stock and Three Smoking Factions are sold to a new owner... as long as it is NOT MicroCrud.... they kill off too many games they buy up (was a beta tester on a game they did that to).

Rocko

Email Fatal Rocko Willis
Pope
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-10-28 03:53   
Hmmmm

Meko
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-10-28 04:12   
nono i think this will be good.

not only will F be giving a step up to any independant games, it will also be another avenue for discovery of darkspace by newcommers.

also, i doubt F will ever put any DS source on the market.

i hope with the new revinue F will be able to get some new servers

in addition
Quote:
like bugs

Hahahaha..... man i couldnt stop laughing.

Email Meko
Fatal Rocko Willis
Fleet Admiral
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2004-10-28 04:45   
Meko ... I was just saying that selling a games graphic/video engine (Medusa if I understand it correctly) and a lobby/chat program is one thing and I am all up for that but (and I say but).... if the source code to any game is made public, for sale or for free, imo it jepordizes the game.

Yes, I agree that selling the Graphics Engine and the chat/lobby program to Independant programmers/developers could very well bring much need funds to DarkSpace and PaleStar as a whole but I still stand by my opinion that the Source Code should be a closely guarded secret. I know it is Fuastus's whole ball of wax and I will respect whatever desiscion he chooses to make. I am just playing Devil's Advocate... Show the good side as well as the bad side. I just love this game so much it just hurts to see anything jepordize this fine peice of work.

V/R,

Rocko Willis

"One of the Faithful, no matter what."

Email Fatal Rocko Willis
Thiresias
Admiral

Posted: 2004-10-28 05:44   
sounds like an excellent plan, the best of luck to it.

Email Thiresias
Meko
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-10-28 06:23   
Quote:
Meko ... I was just saying that selling a games graphic/video engine (Medusa if I understand it correctly) and a lobby/chat program is one thing and I am all up for that but (and I say but).... if the source code to any game is made public, for sale or for free, imo it jepordizes the game.

i agree with you.

i sorta liked half life but i vehemently hate counterstrike. i wont trash it cause theres a great many ppl who like it.

anyways, i view making the GCQL public is a good idea.... especially with the royalties...

maybe patent it as well?? (you can patent code right?)
anyways maybe the developers could get a 'discount' if they leave a link to the palestar site or maybe darkspace as well....(in thier gcql i mean)

wouldnt that bring i nsome new ppl eh?

Email Meko
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2004-10-28 06:28   
Quote:

On 2004-10-28 01:41, Fatal Rocko Willis *CAPT* wrote:
Look in both and see how many are playing each...... HL used to rule the roost now CS does... all because the game's sorce code was sold....

The games code was edited using the SDK, Half Life's source code will never and has never been released to the public. Counter Strike is a modification of some of the files, sprites and netcode. But the primary engine is still the half life one.

Gideon
Cadet

Posted: 2004-10-28 12:02   
To the best of my knowledge, the Medusa engine does not include any of our server code, net code, or any of the code that makes DS what it is.

It's like what happened with Half-Life.

ID software made Quake, and Quake 2.

An independant company licensed the engine, and made thier own game, with it's own netcode, etc. Half-Life used a hybrid Quake/Quake 2 engine, but the game itself used a great deal more advanced scripting, AI, netcode, etc, that was coded by the Half-Life team.

You could use Medusa to re-create DS. However, to do so, you would have to code everything outside of the graphics engine from scratch. That, and now a days licenses generally include a clause preventing someone who is developing under the license from directly competing with the source of the licensed software.

Email Gideon
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Page created in 0.027499 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR