Combat Kills

Combat kills in last 24 hours:
No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

Search

Anniversaries

14th - wolf420

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Idea for missions...
 Author Idea for missions...
Minamoto
Cadet

Posted: 2004-10-20 23:11   
I wasn't around when you could take missions, so I'm not quite sure how they worked. But regardless, I thought it might be a good idea if they were player generated. For instance, say you are the UGTO and you dont really have a hierarchy setup to organize the faction, but you want to go take this system you've had your eye on for a while. You go post a mission, set the time, place, and pay, and wait for your fellow faction members to come to you. This way you could oranize an attack even if you weren't part of a fleet.

Some extraneus ideas:
-Pay Grades: The pay for a mission could be based upon rank. The more prestige you have the more you can contribute to a mission.

-Required Rank to Command a mission: Not really an importat aspect. I figure if you have the credits to pay people then you have some idea what you are doing.

-Being able to cross factions to complete a mission: This could lead to foul play though and other factions would be able to see what you are planning and prepare themselves. But, it would increase the labor pool. Mmmmmm economics.....

-Mission Slots: You need a well rounded fleet to be truly effective. A good idea would be to have types of jobs you need to have filled based on class of ship. (Eg. 1 Station, 4 Dreads, 5 Cruiser, 3 Supply, 3 Transport, 2 Scout, 2 Engineer. There is a problem in how do you assign people to be bombers?) People that take a certain job can only get the type of ship they are assigned to for the time space of the mission. This could lead to problems if someone has to drop suddenly and you are left without support that you need. Perhaps the commander could be allowed to unlock some people or maybe reassign someone.

-Subscription required to view missions lists (This is taking for granted that the missions can only be viewed by the faction members.): This would prevent people from making trial accounts and spying on other factions plans.

-Loss of prestige on failed missions: This goes for mission members and doubly for mission commanders (Well maybe not quite doubly.). This would help to prevent no-shows, player drops, sabatoge, and down right incompetence.

-Bonus prestige for sucessfull missions: Given in either a lump sum or a multipler of prestige gained on mission, this is what would make people actually want to take a mission. Not only do you get paid AND work toward taking over the galaxy, but you gain prestige faster than you would if you did it alone. This would need to be regulated some how so it wasn't abused, but I think it is the only way that a mission system is going to be successful.

-Fleet specific missions: Hire a fleet, or just members of your own fleet to complete a mission. Not really in the whole spirit of the idea, but im trying to work in some way that people could create mercenary fleets. The plus to this idea is you could do away with the strict ship assignments; hopefully a fleet can figure that out on their own.

-Mission Organiztion: An idea along the ship assignment theme; you could assign people to squadrons that have different objectives. (Eg. Capture Planet Z) You could also have squadron commander spots that you would be able to give commands to.

That's about the jist of it, a few constraint there are with this system is that mission success would have to be based on triggered event such as "UGTO captures System X" so that the server could commence credit transfers and prestige awards. Also there would have to be some measure of a mission failure. Perhaps a time limit? Finally, the missions only seem to take the "Capture System X form" Maybe there could be a scaled down "Capture Planet Z" or "Support Player Y" form.

Anyway, it was just an idea I had and a lot of it needs refinment. Please post if you have any of your own ideas on how to make it better.

Rommel, you magnificent son-of-a-b****, I READ YOUR BOOK!
-George C. Scott as General George Patton

[ This Message was edited by: Minamoto on 2004-10-20 23:23 ]

Rommel, you magnificent son-of-a-b****, I READ YOUR BOOK!
-George C. Scott as General George Patton

Email Minamoto
Page created in 0.010646 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR