No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.6 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » scraping plaents...
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author scraping plaents...
Thorium
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-10-07 18:04   
while i see it as poor spotsmanship to scrap a plaent because it is lost and there i a pres loss for doing so the bad part is it can be done any where at no risk to the player doing it.
im suggesting that you need to be in a ship, with a build, in orbit of the planet to scrap it.

Ragglock
Marshal
BIOnics Industry Syndicate

Posted: 2004-10-07 18:13   
its an artform

LOVE the smell of human flesh in the morning smells like MVictory

Goto the website of Ragglock
Fatal Command (CO)
Marshal
Fatal Squadron

From: over here in New York noticing some ppl are like canoes.....they need to be paddled.
Posted: 2004-10-07 19:29   
and ecm ectractors are a crock but...just like scrapping .....legal.deal with it.

Email Fatal Command (CO)
Thorium
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-10-07 20:21   
dont get me wrong... if you want to scrap planets go for it but there should be some personal risk...

Lunatiq
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2004-10-07 20:32   
Seems like a commanding officer could give citizens of a planet an order to scrap buildings ahead of an incoming force. Don't see anything wrong with it. I'd scrap a SY in a second if I thought I couldn't recover it quickly.

HaVoX
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-10-07 20:38   
I scrap barracks on a capping planets but i do it at the planet cause im usally in a engy at the planet

Email HaVoX
Bandit
Cadet

Posted: 2004-10-08 00:15   
Quote:

On 2004-10-07 19:29, Fatal Command *CO*(recruiting) wrote:
and ecm ectractors are a crock but...just like scrapping .....legal.deal with it.

I love ECM extractors...lol. I use em to sneak up on enemy ships and unload a payload of inf onto his ship..lol...... Watch Em RUN!!
If you can't kill em, its the ABSOLUTE easyest way to make em retreat!

Meko
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-10-08 00:31   
Quote:
.....legal.deal with it.

just cause its legal to own a gun, do you? ... dont answer that.

that aside i agree with PJ. if overwhelming force is going to "relocate" my assets, im going to make damn sure they pay a price for it.

Email Meko
Fatal Command (CO)
Marshal
Fatal Squadron

From: over here in New York noticing some ppl are like canoes.....they need to be paddled.
Posted: 2004-10-08 01:27   
and gonna answer anyway....yes.....several...but they where I cant get to em..........yet.and just becasue its legal doesnt mean its right.

whats popular isnt always right and whats right isnt always popular.

Email Fatal Command (CO)
Patryn
Cadet
Evil Empires Inc.

Posted: 2004-10-08 01:30   
Stop the madness...
Deal with it...it's legal.

Signature size too large, please resize.

What do you see when you t

Fatal Command (CO)
Marshal
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2004-10-09 03:21   
its STILL CRAP TOO

Email Fatal Command (CO)
Flyer
Admiral

Posted: 2004-10-09 06:46   
It is normal --> everybody does that in war.
I even propose that if a planet is capped there for each structure (except domes) a 30 to 70% change that the building is scrapped automatically.
The percentage should vary according to how close the planet is to the homesystem of the opposing faction (70% in the homesystem).

Also planets capped in the homesytem by another faction gets buildings scrabbed at random times (sabotage)

Email Flyer
Rocki
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-10-09 06:49   
*cough*scorched earth*cough*

Always was and always will be a valid tactic.

AdmBito
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-10-09 12:49   
Actually, if you remember, "scorched Earth" was a term coined in the American Civil War, or thereabouts (perhaps historians did, but that is beside the point). Anyways, the point is, the ones doing the scorched Earth were the attackers, namely General Willian Tecumseh Sherman moving from one point to another, and destroying everything of use to the Confederacy.

I'll spare you the rest of the history lesson other than saying the attackers were the ones practicing "scorched Earth."

Bito

Puppies gotta die, too.

Distel {Combat BUMpkin} Stolz
Cadet
ExtraTerrestrial Space Bums

Posted: 2004-10-09 14:58   
FYI:
http://explanation-guide.info/meaning/Scorched-earth.html

"Scorched earth: Meaning (information, definition, explanation, facts)

This article is about the military strategy. See Scorched Earth for the computer game.

Scorched earth is a military tactic which involves destroying anything that might be useful to the enemy whilst withdrawing from an area. The name refers to the practice of burning crops to deny the enemy food sources. The practice may be carried out by an army in enemy territory, or by an army in its own home territory, as in World War II Soviet/Nazi example. Contrary to popular opinion maintained mainly by the Tolstoy novel War and Peace, the tactic was first proposed not by Mikhail Illarionovich Kutuzov but Michael Andreas Barclay de Tolly.

Wars which have involved scorched earth tactics
The Napoleonic Wars in Russia (see Patriotic War)
The British used scorched earth techniques against the Afrikaners during the Boer Wars.
During the American Civil War, General Sherman burned and plundered the countryside on his way from Atlanta to the sea.
In skirmishes with Indian settlers in the Great Plains, American soldiers used scorched earth tactics to destroy Indian food supplies and territories.
During World War II, the Soviets employed a highly effective scorched earth policy to counter the Nazi invasion (see Great Patriotic War).
The Nazis used a scorched earth strategy against the Finns during the Lapland War, part of World War II. "

Copied from: http://explanation-guide.info/meaning/Scorched-earth.html

Since the advance of an enemy in Darkspace is hardly dependent on "food sources," a "scorched earth" policy can be extended to include denying the enemy anything, including a planet's population and tech, that will help the enemy in his cause. Even when the United States attacked Iraq (the first time) we bombed power stations, roads, railways, bridges etc. to make things difficult for our enemy. Converely, our enemy burnt captured oil wells as he retreated. War is not clean and septic, so don't complain about a few planets being scrapped in Darkspace.

According to the FAQ, players are penalized for scrapping buildings (one pres point per building= 32 points per planet), so any one player is certainly not going to take up planet scrapping as a hobby. Additionally, forcing your opponent to scrap his/her planets also means you are winning and your opponent is providing you with a fresh planet to build (I.E., POSITIVE Prestige). Mosty of us like positive prestige, though I understand there are some players out there who don't like to build.

At first I had a problem with scrapping....then as time went by, I realized that I didn't have a problem with scrapping. My problem was with the fact that I hadn't thought of it first

Deal with it.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.026396 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR