No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.6 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Open Letter to F
 Author Open Letter to F
Pope
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-10-07 08:14   
http://hydra.is-a-geek.net/ds/richard.mail

Avernus
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2004-10-07 11:45   
I had a very different experience as a noob. Jackswift spent about 2 hours answering my questions. Mouse was very helpfull in teaching me some combat tactics. It's more or less up to the people though. I lost almost all my starting cash just from removing devices and fiddling until I realized how to refit with minimal cash loss. It's simple really though. There is a right way and a wrong way and once you figure it out it doesn't take long at all. However if you spend a few minutes with a new player you would be surprised. Lenin_The_Red joined the game for the first time having never played once. I told him how to build and refit a reload module in place of his build module on his eng. I then had him follow me around all night reparing myself and the fleet. The rest kinda comes naturally by watching and asking questions or trial and error. It's not as bad as some people make it sound but the lag does suck because everyone has mad planet collisions. Not sure why new players can't supply right away though without modding.

[ This Message was edited by: Fatal Avernus on 2004-10-07 11:46 ]

Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2004-10-07 18:05   
In the nicest way I can say this;

In my opinion, as a subbed player, who plays the MV, who deals with the lag, who is already #2 on the planet collisions list, who spent the better part of his first few months ALONE figuring out this game, if you don't like it, leave it. Don't flame it. Don't put it down. Don't rag on Faustus. Just LEAVE. I fail to understand why some folks have to let their every miniscule shortcoming effect everyone else. You don't have to write open letters. You don't have to throw up flashy signs. ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS NOT PAY< AND NOT LOG IN> PERIOD>

Email Azreal   Goto the website of Azreal
Doran
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2004-10-07 19:08   
mebby some sort of adopt-a-newb program?
heck i had virtu to get me started, look how i turned out

Diabo|ik
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-10-07 22:27   
I "adopted" a newb recently from "the forbidden game", he wanted to try something different with less preparations and more combat, so I suggested that he try the DS free trial, nothing to lose.

After 2 days pondering the question he downloaded the software and began playing asking me questions from time to time and I must say that I can feel your pain there, I was aware of most of the bugs, but as a new player he got caught once or twice, if it wouldn't had been for my patience and understanding and diplomacy, he probably would've quit after the first few hours.

It would've been a big mistake tho, as it turns out that he loves the game even tho the lag is a bit on the wild side for him. He hasn't decided if he'd sub after the trial because of this wild lag and strange issues.

It's becoming a problem, not for the vets who can handle this, but for the new players and as everyone knows, new players is like oxygen for an mmorpg, it's what keeps the game alive, what keeps the playerbase from declining due to leaving disillusioned and or bored vets.

I am in agreement with what is said here for some points ( feature freeze, complete optimization of the code and debugging until it is barely noticeable by a newbie ).

A great game needs a great code.

Tiggy
Midshipman
Terra Squadron

Posted: 2004-10-07 22:51   
I think that Sono has risen some very important points here. It's not that he's bagging the game, he never intended to. He's raising some points he knows need fixing and highlighting them.

He's given us a good example of how a newbie starts out, not in the sense that he's saying the game is too hard for newbies; that's not true, we often help newbies out quite a bit!

He's saying that the game won't look very good to newbies. That there are quite a lot of bugs out there (Not K'luth) and they really, really, need attention.

That's the way I interpreted the message. It's not criticism at all. It's a constructive letter.

Email Tiggy
Pope
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-10-08 05:57   
Just to add a number, i've tried taking on 4 "full apprentices" during this Trial, they all turned away because they found the Game to instable and buggy.

Page created in 0.015386 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR