No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.4 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » New Command Channel
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author New Command Channel
AdmBito
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-10-04 00:28   
With the arrival of this free trial, most everyone has noticed a huge increase in innane chatter over regular faction chat. This makes it very difficult to organize a fleet into doing it what needs to be done, simply for the fact that there is so much random spam on the screen at once. Of course, this isn't the only reason, as there are many, many other reasons (noobism, people don't listen very well, noobism doesn't listen, people don't wish to learn, etc), but it is hard to make a point through all the muck.

So my proposal is this: A new color/channel for those in "command positions" on a faction. How would this be used? A "commander" of UGTO, for example Wyke, is having trouble getting his point across. He uses his special /leader "Lets attack Earth and capture it for the glory of UGTO!". The command channel doesn't need to blow up the chat window, or have special stars; just make it a different color, say a nice soothing pastel blue.

How would we decided who gets to use command channel? Obviously, we wouldn't want everyone using it, as it would just be a pastel blue mass of text. Beautiful and soothing, yes; helpful, no. So what?

Rank would be an obvious choice. But the argument can be made that "...there are many noobs with rank out there." True. So what about badges? Thats a bit harder than rank. How about, once they are implemented, the command and influence stats? Bingo! But, of course, not implemented...So how about rankings, as in most prestige earned? Only the top #xx of players can use it? Would that limit it too much? Or cause those to strive for it? It would limit it in the MV, as there would be a set amount running around. One last thought: If you want an infinite amount of command channel users, how about those with high stats? For example, those with 30,000 ships damaged, 10,000 repair, 10,000 engineeriing, etc... (Obviously, these numbers are very rough, but give an idea of how many folks I think should be able to access the soothing blue pastels.)

Anywho, thoughs, comments?

Bito

Puppies gotta die, too.

Banshee
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2004-10-04 00:41   
Nice Idea Bito.

But as for your way of putting it, I noticed you mentioned top percentage of prestige or whatever, but you and I both know we have some really fantastic leaders who arent at Fleet Admiral yet.

Another suggestion to the idea would be, Fleet Leaders, not only does it give a purpose beyond accepting new recruits, It limits the usage of the chat.

Simple!

Starfist
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2004-10-04 00:44   
i think its a great idea. its a real pain trying to sift through all the chat spam to look for orders for the next attack sequence, or for orders on a covert op that is being planned.

Icefox
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2004-10-04 01:33   
I'd prefer to NOT do it the Planetside way. Top XP should not be a gimme card for leadership if you ask me. A determinant, sure. (edited to more accurately convey my point.. misworded something before ) Then again.. how else can you do it? I suppose you could have a "Fleet Leaders" list, but who decides who is on it?

You should see the mess Planetside command chat is... scary place, that. Still, could work well here I suppose, if we can't come up with something better.

[ This Message was edited by: Icefox on 2004-10-04 01:37 ]

Meko
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-10-04 02:21   
banshees got a point, i aint GA yet

ahaha no in all honesty though good idea, but the way the blue chat cards get handed out should be something well thought up.

the planet side system is just rediculous.

My small little idear would be, why not Vote for who is command?
"Aww voting takes to darn long"
Wrong.

the server knows whos online. the devs can make a way for the server to know whos fl and whos not.

so in the loading screen why not have a list of names (on your faction) that are potential "leaders". you click one press accept and you go to ship selection screen.

However. if there is already a leader then theres no vote. how do you switch leaders?

[Raven]Meko: Hey bansh let me lead an ambush for those Dam Dirty Carrier dreads.
[Raven]Banshee: sure oh exalted one:
this is the part where banshee presses the little button on his screen that says "relinquish command to ...". then a broadcast comes over the comms in the lovelly blue letters saying "[Raven]Banshee has relinquished his command in favor of [Raven]Meko"

then i would have the lovely soothing blue text.

i think f8 should be givin to the command bit, and in f8 theres a few buttons one being "relinquish command" and another being "relinquish command to " and then you type in the players name(or id)

i dunno

flame on =)

Email Meko
Pope
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-10-04 03:14   
Bringing back ingame would do for a start..

Meko
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-10-04 05:18   
umm.... Bump?

Email Meko
Pope
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-10-04 05:46   
Can you bloody stop bumping minutes-old Threads.. Thanks

Banshee
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2004-10-04 06:16   
Oh, for the record... I dont know what they are doing to you in China Steve my friend...

But you aint never gonna hear words like those from me, ask me some time and I'll translate those words to 'Peteish' for ya

Coeus {NCX-Charger}
Admiral, I can't read,
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-10-04 09:04   
I like the Fleet Admin idea the best, because there should be more than one leader (at least with the MV the way it is now), but there should be a limit. Say, when the MV comes up, the first 5-10 FL's in the server are automaticly promoted, then a que forms up as to who is next in line, in order of joining. That way you 1) discourage FL's who have command from leaving the game with their ships undocked so they can move them to another SY and 2) encourage people to recruit from their clan if they are short handed - /send c need reinforcements in R33 takes on a new meaning, because members know who their FLs are and if an FL is giving orders, they're probably in a command position in game, that makes for some good brownie points or something

Darkspace: Twilight

Goto the website of Coeus {NCX-Charger}
Pope
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-10-04 11:24   
Don't you think that everyone will want to be a bloody Fleet Leader, splintering the Fleets up even more?
Besides, why would i want to listen to the Fleet Leader of [**()-~=LEETSQUAD3724=~-()**]?

[ This Message was edited by: sono on 2004-10-04 11:26 ]

AdmBito
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-10-04 11:49   
Some notes:

• I had the idea (didn't include it) that there would be more than one "leader" online per faction, hopefully. And these folks would be able to talk amongst themselves privately to plan things out, ironing out the details before let their faction know the deal. As it is right now, we seem to have come upon "Follow the station!" This may work well and good, 'cept the station doesn't always A) want to lead, or B) know what/how to lead and what needs to be done in the current situation.

• Hopefully, the leader board won't be completely fluid. What would be the point of, on Day 1, having the general K'Luth strategy of fighting the UGTO, while on Day 2, they are allied with them? The idea is to set up something a little more concrete. I would gladly give up any sort of leadership decisions and follow a well focused group if this were the case.

• The "command channel" is only a suggestion box, of sorts. No one is bound to follow it, but hopefully it will get a faction focused and headed in the right direction. Of course, there will always be those fleets that will lead by simply doing what they do, and other will follow, and that works too.

Anything else? And by the way, I've never played Planetside, can anyone elaborate on the crappiness of the command there?

Bito

Puppies gotta die, too.

Meko
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-10-04 12:10   
sono you need to chill a bit.

bito planet side (to my understanding) works on the one with the most experiance points gets auto leadership.

in this case that wouldnt work to well because we all know theres plenty of FA's that fly like 2nd luets =)

Email Meko
Coeus {NCX-Charger}
Admiral, I can't read,
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-10-04 12:10   
Well, in that case we should bring up the question of how do you get command status. Vote would seem the best way... 1 vote from the founder of each fleet perhaps? If the leader has been inactive for... say a month, then the voting does not wait on them.

I would say just take the longest player times and give it to the person in each faction with it, but I think that some people have new accounts & whatnot... so... *shrug*

Darkspace: Twilight

Goto the website of Coeus {NCX-Charger}
Pope
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-10-04 12:44   
I'm pretty positive noone wants to be bossed around.
I'm pretty positive that is exactly what will happen if a specific leader system is introduced.

So, i do oppose the idea of any Player rising over another Player in the Command hierarchy. A simple function like bold chat worked before, to penetrate the spam, and is really all that is needed.
If you want a command structure, introduce one in your Fleet, and use it together with Players that mutually agree on it.

Should the "Command and Control" System that is being thought about somewhere behind the Scenes of the Development Team ever get implemented, we will see how it is and what becomes of that..

Until then, "no" to any sort of "Leader" status. If People won't listen to Reason (haha, pun!), so be it. They don't deserve blue Reason then, either. (haha!)

Anyways, the point of my Post is basically this: If People want to be lead, and someone is around who is willing and able to lead, then they will be lead, and generally perform well.

If People do not want to be lead, or a Leader is incompetent, no shade of blue in the world can change that.

I'd rather have no leadership than bad leadership.

In fact, i can very well imagine the proposed system to backfire in a counterproductive way.

[ This Message was edited by: sono on 2004-10-04 12:48 ]

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.025423 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR