Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.7 Days

Search

Anniversaries

20th - Relient
19th - Entil-Zha the Starkiller

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Emp changes, Arc's suggestion
 Author Emp changes, Arc's suggestion
Diabo|ik
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-10-03 23:40   
TAKE NOTE, [S.W]Roger couldn't post this himself, so he sent it to me so I could put it up for him. I am in agreement with most of what is said here.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Instead of EMP doing subsystem damage I suggest EMP could do energy damage similar to ELF.

So EMP cannon when they hit hull, drain energy of the component instead of completely destroying it. This damage, like always should be arc based. This includes flux.

So in order to drain ship power you have to hit engines and reactors. Every component in the game has an arc. if you hit that segment of arc, you drain component. As far as I know arc doesn't have to be 90 degree based. Arcs could be made narrower. Say 5 or 10 degrees. Some of the components should be harder to hit. For example jump drive should have a narrow aft arc. Reactors could occupy a narrow left right and aft arc, depending on reactor position. Engines are pretty much stuck with aft arc, however they could also have a narrow forward arc. ship has to reaccelerate after all

This is stealing a bit from kluth ELF beam, however elf beam still has the ability to transfer power from hostile ship to firing ship and it is an EMP weapon after all. This will also encourage some aiming. If you hit more systems, with more power you gain more power. Nobody has to aim with flux, see what that did?

What of subsystem damage you say? First of all ships start receiving subsystem damage when they drops below 50% I believe. Ship hardly needs a flux wave to accelerate the process Secondly has everyone forgotten about subsystem targeting? It doesn't work yet but I assume its going to be implemented at one point. It will work nicely with what I am suggesting.

Electronics can be partially or fully shielded from EMP today. What makes future any different?

Meko
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-10-04 02:10   
its a great idea, your arc sujestion.

but why not use that for the system damage.

i heard (fergot from who) that when the ships get redesigned that arc firing will be much more common and "full arc" weapons will be almost obsolete.

So knowing this, why not say a flux going off 50 GU on the Port side of an AD, know out an engine damage a reactor and know out all the Port weapons.

and the flux cannons, they can do the arc damage but they still damage systems.

note: flux should NOT do hull or armor damage. and ANY armor present severelly limits the flux's capabilities. IE u cant flux then shoot the dead ship. u gotta hurt the ship real bad then Cripple it with flux.

Email Meko
Meko
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-10-04 05:17   
ahem...... bump

Email Meko
Coeus {NCX-Charger}
Admiral, I can't read,
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-10-04 08:51   
The flux bit should be a default anyway... but lets not get into that

I think that devices like IE and Tachyon drives should be completely shielded against EMP - after all they are the sturdier and more reliable tech, and being the paranoid human beings we are wouldn't we shield them completely? Same thing for CL300s and CL1ks - that might give you some incentive to use the less effective weapons if you know you are going into battle with massive fluxing/EMPing ships.

Just a thought

Darkspace: Twilight

Goto the website of Coeus {NCX-Charger}
Page created in 0.017372 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR