Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +2.6 Days

Search

Anniversaries

20th - Relient
19th - Entil-Zha the Starkiller

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » General Support » » can't get passed tutorial
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author can't get passed tutorial
Braenwyn (retired)
Cadet

Posted: 2004-09-30 08:23   
errmm, I received an email from darkspace asking me to try out Darkspace for 2 weeks. Ok, so I download the client and fire up the program. I see there's a tutorial, and that seems the best way to start.

When I begin the tutorial I sit at my screen and wait. Nothing happens. No pointers are given what to do, no friendly voice talking to me either.. total silcence. Not a promising start.

After a while I start clicking several buttons and texts on screen, and figure out that a button on the lower left side of the screen does something. I now can select a ship in the lower right hand side of the screen. Ok..we're rolling.

Still in total silence I work through the tutorial. I have to restart it when i get to the part where the MAP is explained, because somehow it doesn't want to advance.

The second try I get a little further, and I am directed to a planet (forgot the name already) and am instructed to set my marines on the surface. All goes ok, but after that weird things begin to happen. The enemy is attacking me and I am told to attack the enemy ships.. So I select the closest enemy and put my ship on follow. After a while the fire button turns green. In the mean time I'm getting hit badly and lose one component after the other. I haven't fired a shot yet. Ok, so the button turned green and I fire all weapons. I don't see much happening, and I wait till it turns green again and fire again. Then a big bang - I lost my ship and have to start the tutorial all over again.

ehm... call me silly, but is this the way it's supposed to go ? I can't for the life of me imagine that this scenario will draw hordes of new players to the game. I'm fighting the feeling of wiping the installation from my harddisk.

I know all beginnings are difficult, but this tutorial is beyond belief. So, I must be doing something wrong here..
can you please explain to me what I should do ?

thanks
Braenwyn - super nOOb

1st RA Braenwyn

Email Braenwyn (retired)
Pope
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-09-30 08:49   
Unfortunately, the Tutorials have not kept up with recent developments of the DS Client, Scripting Engine and other things, so they are pretty much defunct.

Fortunately, the best Tutorial is jumping into the MV and asking for help, or better still asking for help in the Lobby - judging from your Post, you should be more than able to find someone willing to show you the basic ropes. There are many veterans that will gladly help Newbies, never mind the exceptions.

Meko
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-09-30 11:39   
well in all honesty the tutorial suxs.

you got farther than i did.

the best way would be to do what sono sugests, since it IS after all a multyplayer game.

anyways good luck to you myfriend im glad your showing interest in the game

Email Meko
Linna Yamazaka {Vice Admiral}
Vice Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2004-09-30 11:43   
IF you spot me in the lobby and are willing to take up a ICC ship I'll be GLAD to help you out and show the ropes Braenwyn. Show you how to fight, to build, to bomb, to repair others, and all other Basics.

Two weeks™ Later and a new sig.

Email Linna Yamazaka {Vice Admiral}   Goto the website of Linna Yamazaka {Vice Admiral}
Braenwyn (retired)
Cadet

Posted: 2004-09-30 12:02   
I'm not sure this is the type of game I like.
It really looks like this is hardcore PvP, and I'm not good at that

I took up my first ship, and made it an extractor. I thought I'd mine some for easy money and get to know the controls a bit better. So, I head out and find a mainly green system, with a few yellow (should be neutral) planets. I head out to an asteroid belt and start matching speed and direction to mine it. All of a sudden I'm being shot at from all sides by yellow things, that were so small I couldn't even see them. I lost my first ship after being in game for 2 minutes... that's not my idea of fun. Also I don't understand why neutrals would attack and kill me.

I will be looking around some more, but I probably won't be here after the trial period is over.

And, I haven't even gotten the weird keyboard commands and difficult user interface under control..

oh well

nice to have seen this.

1st RA Braenwyn

Email Braenwyn (retired)
Tbone
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-09-30 12:12   
Neutral simply means they aren't attached to a specific faction, a yellow planet means it rebelled against the current faction holder and will attack anything from any faction.

What difficult keyboard commands? WASD for going, stopping, and turning; Space Bar for ship-ship weapons; B for bombs; N for fighters; Ctrl+B for toggling point defense on and off. There's the basics. Go and shoot things.

And mining isn't easy money, just so you know.

[ This Message was edited by: Tbone on 2004-09-30 12:15 ]

Email Tbone
Astral Viper
Cadet

Posted: 2004-09-30 12:21   
you dont realy even need money in this game. grab a good combat ship hang out with somone one in a bigger ship and give em a hand its the best way to learn.

GTN wasnt just a Fleet it was a Family we all were and still are and always will be brothers in our hearts.

From the ashes of Earth we rise like a pheonix spreading our wings

Email Astral Viper
Braenwyn (retired)
Cadet

Posted: 2004-10-01 15:28   
Well, I'm just writing this goodbye note.

I tried the game, and it's no fun for me..
There was some action at Ross 7 just now, and I went in there yo have a look around what was going on...

I can't tell you what was going on, because I only saw a slideshow, with around 1 fps. I couldn't do anything, and within a minute I was shot to smithereens.

I think a newbie area would be a very nice idea, where noobs like me can practice a bit before getting into the fights with the veterans and their big ships..

As it is now, I'm wiping it off my harddisk.

Have fun guys

Greetz
Braenwyn

1st RA Braenwyn

Email Braenwyn (retired)
Xpli$it
Marshal

Posted: 2004-10-01 15:33   
Quote:

I think a newbie area would be a very nice idea, where noobs like me can practice a bit before getting into the fights with the veterans and their big ships..

look what you did

[ This Message was edited by: Xpli$it on 2004-10-01 15:34 ]

Braenwyn (retired)
Cadet

Posted: 2004-10-01 16:00   
Quote:

On 2004-10-01 15:33, Xpli$it wrote:
Quote:

look what you did

[ This Message was edited by: Xpli$it on 2004-10-01 15:34 ]

What did I do ??
You tell me - I died and was placed in the start system again

1st RA Braenwyn

Email Braenwyn (retired)
Xpli$it
Marshal

Posted: 2004-10-01 16:17   
Not what YOU did........

They took away the Newbie server because they are having a free trial and they want everyone in MV....

and about being attacked by neutral things? You were close to a neutral planet.... planets attack any and all enemies within range.

Pope
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-10-01 16:28   
Farewell, maybe we shall meet again!

Braenwyn (retired)
Cadet

Posted: 2004-10-01 16:42   
Quote:

On 2004-10-01 16:17, Xpli$it wrote:
Not what YOU did........

They took away the Newbie server because they are having a free trial and they want everyone in MV....

and about being attacked by neutral things? You were close to a neutral planet.... planets attack any and all enemies within range.

ah - well - I didn't know there even had been a noobie server. I just gotten an invite to try out the game by email.

and your explanation about neutral planets attacking enemies.. well that's weird. I will check my dictionary on the meaning of the word NEUTRAL again sometime
That one can encounter rats there is ok, but not neutrals that attack.. that's weird. I played EvE online for quite some time and I think they did a better job of it. But that's my personal view, and not meant to degrade this game. I'm sure there are a lot of people who like DarkSpace. Just not me.

Greetz
Braenwyn

1st RA Braenwyn

Email Braenwyn (retired)
Grimith
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2004-10-01 16:47   
Heck, I never even played the tutorial. I only had one of my friends take me into the newbie server and explain the rounds to me. You defintiely got a lot farther than I ever did.

But, anyway...

I still stick by my statement that attaching the newbie server again towards the later part of the free trial or after the free trial is over is a bad idea. I definitely know that, if I was a new gamer at this time, I would definitely go in there to learn the moves and everything.

As much as the stress data is needed and everything, it's absurd to remove the place where newbies can go hang out. Now, granted, some other players that don't belong go in there to beat up on the newer players, but hopefully, that can be taken care of......

*just sh akes his head*

Goto the website of Grimith
Captain Blue
Cadet

Posted: 2004-10-01 17:01   
umm wow yah the tutorial doesnt really help and about MV i nheard that they are taking away newbie and admrial for good that whoukl dbe great

Email Captain Blue
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.027693 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR