No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.7 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Newby and Admiral gone for good?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
 Author Newby and Admiral gone for good?
Meko
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-09-30 11:50   
id like to nominate doran for the "forum wize man" award becasue the last few things hes said have been intelligant.

and to add to this matter (the topic)

if the newbies (demos) are flyign about in little ships, being jeleous of dreadnaughts, wont that inspire them to subscribe?

furthermore. the devs should award bonus pres for vets who take newbies "under thier wing"

say give vet A 100 bonus pres for teaching noob B that "shoot and run" is more affective than "shoot and die" that would also increase vet/noob relations.

In addition (im on fire) why not give the free trials all 80 bonus pres to start them off. i mean combat desseys still burn fast under dread guns.

Email Meko
Fornax
Marshal
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2004-09-30 15:35   
Just weight the pretige award inversely by total rank/prestige.
FA gets X prestige from doing a given task.
LT gets 5X prestige from doing the exact same task.

Nax

worstnightmare {seraphim}
Cadet

Posted: 2004-09-30 15:52   
wookie cookies

damn id love to re sub and join yall in the mv... im still a captain i think or a vice admiral i cant remember... been so long

but i dont have windows anymore and the damn stupid installer makes it bloody difficult to do it for windows... if someone would be so kind as to say zip all the nstalled files in a rar archive or preferabley a tar.bzip (upto 50% compression) i could probably port darkspace to linux within a week.

that would at leastget my $10/month back along with a tactiacally minded captain or vice admiral or whatever....

i might even be able to do it without anyones help it might just take time.. (and i might just put on a windows partition just to play DS)

anyway what was this thread about?

oh yeah... newbs... um i played the demo got my ass WHOOPED to hell and gave up for a bit then i got an email all about free trial and gaining prestige and i thought (ill get those mean bastards) so i played for 2 weeks free trial then subbed so i could even get the big mean arseholes who totally used a dread or station against my fighter.

now ive got dreads and im feared... and i even protect newbs from time to time... but i think this game needs to be more realistic with the way planets are set up and perhaps a few blade servers wouldnt go a miss?

i mean you fly in hope to blow up an uber defensed planet... it does get a little tedious... but eh....

if i can get this to work then ill join ya sometime this weekend....

for more info on the linux project mail me s3raph1m@gmail.com
http://www.darkspace.net/profile.htm?lang=en&sid=867791861

Email worstnightmare {seraphim}
Astral Viper
Cadet

Posted: 2004-09-30 19:00   
maybe we should bring back groups hmm.

lets say x prestige is earned by group 1 wich has full at 10 ships each ship will get x/10. And also i think a pres limit cap per rank would help that way say an ensign couldnt get 500 pres in like 10 minutes.

i havent thought out the details yet but ive seen sytems like this in other games and it works.

GTN wasnt just a Fleet it was a Family we all were and still are and always will be brothers in our hearts.

From the ashes of Earth we rise like a pheonix spreading our wings

Email Astral Viper
little_chaoz(affe force)
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-09-30 22:51   
Yeah if we brought back grouping, it would really help out the newbies, and we could use that group chat instead of that foul yellow icky stuff!

Isaac Asimov

Email little_chaoz(affe force)
0mni
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-10-01 09:10   
Another plus to grouping is that ppl may start to fly interdictors again : or other non combative/pres gaining roles.

-PK

Goto the website of 0mni
Coeus {NCX-Charger}
Admiral, I can't read,
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-10-01 09:23   
Aye, how many times have you needed an ECCM/ECM frig when dealing/playing with K'Luth, but no one would do it because 1) they're a prime target that no one will go outa their way to defend and 2) they wouldn't get pres anyway.

Darkspace: Twilight

Goto the website of Coeus {NCX-Charger}
worstnightmare {seraphim}
Cadet

Posted: 2004-10-01 12:03   
i use eccm frigs all the time.... and i think im gonna join ya sometime this weekend probably within the next 24 hours

http://www.darkspace.net/profile.htm?lang=en&sid=867791861

Email worstnightmare {seraphim}
Lark of Serenity
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2004-10-02 13:28   
this single server business is definately good for the newbs, however i do agree something has to be done to allow them the chance to engineer/bomb. i liked darkswordes idea, but also think we should implement an older idea or 2 for similar purposes:

1) random events: this would promote engineering and bombing. plagues that kill off a planets population would allow for a n00b to earn some nice bombing prestige killing it off, or perhaps a black-out due to a solar-flare on a planet also making it vulnerable. fires and other natural disasters would allow n00bs to earn some engineering prestige at the home front as well.

2) espionage infantry: instead of spending a hundred inf and 20 ships to take over a planet, perhaps a spy infantry unit that destroys a planets infastructure would be better? this way a n00b could get some cap points by landing the inf, then more pres for bombing after the planets been crippled. then he can engineer it after =)

also to note are the tactic of ecm bombing, ICC n00bs would be good at this since our bomber destroyer has a pcm moint, where as UGTO and Kluth n00bs would have to work out some advanced teamwork skills for it besides covering eachother with ecm

generally i think veteran players should encourage new players to do the tasks of engineering and bombing, possibly even to avoid supply and combat until theyve gained a bit of rank. this way i think well see the usual roaming packs of combat ships develop an actual support fleet behind them, making the mv a place where honest fleets that are ready for anything are at work, as opposed to fleets completely centered on the destruction of enemy ships.

Gideon
Cadet

Posted: 2004-10-02 14:14   
Oooorrrr...

Perhaps planet building and bombing should only be trusted to subscribed players?

You can play DS without building or bombing, and I don't think either pool of points really becomes important until later in your playing anyways...

Just a random thought.

Email Gideon
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Page created in 0.019996 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR