No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
03/30/24 +1.7 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Doran

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Announcements » » Developer update 9/13/2004...
 Author Developer update 9/13/2004...
Faustus
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2004-09-13 14:27   
I again, adjusted the timeout code for the UDP code, to make the communications more responsive for high-bandwidth users, while keeping it friendly to dial-up users.

I did fix one bug which would occur when the server disconnected a client, then received a packet from the client later on, it would try to create a new connection without checking if the received packet was a connection packet. This would give the other end, the illusion that they never were disconnected... which is how some ended up on the faction/fleet selection screen but unable to do anything (your not logged in and we're disconnected while trying to connect).

I suspect the remaining problems may just be firewall related... since many dial-up's can connect to the MV now, just a few still cannot.

Dial-up users who are still having problems, please email your sockettrace.log file to bugs@palestar.com... keep in mind, this file is cleared when the client or lobby starts, so you must get the file by alt-tabbing out of the game.

I'm not sure if this is an issue now and days... but it's really looking to me like those who are still having connections problems, have a half-duplex modem... meaning, they can't send any data while receiving data... I'm sure some modems/serial ports can be configured for half-duplex... if true, this would explain some of the wierdness I've been seeing.

Basically, a client only needs to send some type of ack for received data once every 30 seconds to avoid getting disconnected.. Since, some dial-ups are getting disconnected from the server still... it baffels me why they are getting disconnected.... the only explaination I can come up with is either their modem/serial line is half-duplex or the firewall is stopping the packets from being sent.

-Richard

Goto the website of Faustus
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2004-09-13 14:39   
Well I havnt seen any problems so far...just a few client crashes but...I can just start DS back up again.

Xpli$it
Marshal

Posted: 2004-09-13 14:46   
Whenever I try to join MV, all I see is "Connecting to 'mirror-server.palestar.com : 9101 ' and it never ends.... I wait about an hour and nothing happens, when I click cancel it just freezes up and I have to use ctrl + alt delete to close it.

[ This Message was edited by: Xpli$it on 2004-09-13 15:09 ]

Page created in 0.007269 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR