No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
03/30/24 +2.5 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Announcements » » Developer Update 9/9/2004...
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author Developer Update 9/9/2004...
Faustus
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2004-09-09 08:46   
Time for another update...

First off, I've moved the default BPS for a SocketUDP from 5k to 3k per second, which should prevent the slow dial-up connections from timing out when connecting to the MV.

Additionally, I've come up with a better solution for the entire connection timeout code (something that is needed to detect when the other end doesn't shutdown a connection properly) so that nobody should ever get disconnected again that actually has a live working connection.

Admins, I've fixed the "Save" log feature for a process server, so that the entire log is saved in ANSI now. If you didn't already notice, if your saving a server log the first part is in ANSI, any additional lines are unicode, which made it quite hard to read the file

Graphics optimization... this is next on my TODO list, which involves grouping all geometry being drawn to a single material. This is going to be a huge savings, and should actually let us draw 200+ fighters with practically no drop in frame rate. Currently, the engine draws each fighter seperately, which means the texture state will change 3-4 times for a single fighter, then repeat for each fighter afterwards... same for ships, same for all other 3D objects in the world.

The optimization involves, pushing all geometry into the material, so that when the material is set, ALL geometry using that material is rendered at once... this should drop the texture state changes down to the lowest possible level.

Voice chat... I'm going to take a crack this week at getting this feature re-enabled. I'm still thinking about this will actually function in-game, any player sugestions would be welcome...

-Richard

Goto the website of Faustus
Archon
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-09-09 08:49   
w00t Nice Work F!!

~Insanity Is Only The Beginning~

Email Archon
Axianda The Royal
Fleet Admiral
Terra Squadron

Posted: 2004-09-09 08:50   
YAY!

- Axi

Apocalyptic Angel
Cadet

Posted: 2004-09-09 08:58   
Excellent!

So, when do we get the music back as well?

Keep the good work up

Sc0tTn
Cadet

Posted: 2004-09-09 09:03   
GO on you holiday Faustus

Nice work

Email Sc0tTn
Ceridan
Cadet

Posted: 2004-09-09 09:10   
w00t, ty for the Update F.

stuck in Univercity limbo

SabelTooth
Cadet

Posted: 2004-09-09 09:15   
Yay!! thnx big F
Now all I have to do is make some time free to play :S

Email SabelTooth
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2004-09-09 09:51   
Why not make it so ingame you can right click on a person and enable voice chat with them, then when you've done that with one person you can invite other peopl efor a sorta conference sorta thing.

Just an idea.

Otherwise .... PLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cant wait for alot of these gfx improvments...seems pointless being able to play the game at the highest resoulution if it only runs at just 100 fps ^^

Gideon
Cadet

Posted: 2004-09-09 10:09   
I hate to be a killjoy, but...

Uhhh...what about the 483 changes? You decided to just ditch those, or am I missing where they fit in here? Some communication on this might be nice.

Email Gideon
Faustus
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2004-09-09 10:57   
Sorry, Gideon... Thats a given, that your changes are going back in...I'll do better to explain myself next time.

BackSlash, good ideal.. so basically, and "Hail" button when you target someone, which brings them into your voice chat group, then another display to remove them from the group or mute them.

-Richard

[ This Message was edited by: Faustus on 2004-09-09 10:58 ]

Goto the website of Faustus
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2004-09-09 11:51   
Exactly...but I dont know about targeting...say I want to communicate to Forseth who's in R33 repelling UGTO, and im in BD, it would take too long to find him in the system, and then hail him. Maybe when you click on a system it should list the people that are in it. Like in 1.480 when you targeted a system it would tell you how people people are in it .

Woo Darkspace is gonna be good!

[ This Message was edited by: BackSlash on 2004-09-09 11:54 ]

|2eason
Grand Admiral
Agents

Posted: 2004-09-09 14:26   
This should have two modes:

1) Typical Mode: Automatically adds other voice chat enabled users on your faction into the voice group.

2) Customized Mode: You choose whether to automatically add every user on your faction, every user in your fleet, or just select other voice chat enabled users and add them to your list. You can also use any combination of the three.

Of course, there would also be an option to have yourself skipped over so that other people can't add you to their "Listen list". Etc, etc. Perhaps even have the option to create your own private "Group Chat Room"

- |2eason -

[-[A]-]|2eason the retired

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2004-09-09 14:59   
Do what they do in Counter-strike

Hold down one button (K?) to spam..erm.....talk to your fleet...by fleet I mean anybody within 5kgu of your ship.

Don't like what somebody is saying? click on their ship and press the "mute button"...

I don't want to to have to invidivual select ships to broadcast orders....holding down a button and saying a quick sentance in the heat of battle works well.

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2004-09-09 17:31   
Faustus I think plays CS so it probably wouldnt be to hard to make it like that.

Jim Starluck
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2004-09-09 19:26   
The way I figure it, voice-chat should be done with a "frequency" or "channel" system.

I.e. there are three frequencies reserved for ICC, UGTO and K'luth chat specifically. ICC cannot hear anything from the UGTO one and so on.

There would also be Fleet-reserved frequencies, just like there are Fleet-specific forums.

Then there would be "Open Broadcast," which works like /yell and sends to all ships, friendly and hostile, in the immediate area.

We could also have a ton of "unused" frequencies, which people could tune to if they wanted a more private conversation...of course, there would be the chance of someone else switching to that frequency and listening in...

*shrugs* That's the way I would like to see it.

Email Jim Starluck
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.025426 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR