No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.3 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Shields recharge faster when off
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author Shields recharge faster when off
Lupino
Cadet

Posted: 2004-09-07 20:55   
Think about it, they're not turned on wasting power, so shouldn't they then be able to recharge at a faster pace? Say by 1.5 times or so. That way ICC doesn't have to wait around forever for their shields to recharge after battle, and there'd be a reason to actually use the on/off button for shields ^_^

Xpli$it
Marshal

Posted: 2004-09-07 21:06   
THis is a great idea.....

CowboyFunk
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2004-09-07 21:11   
shields are made from force fields i think which occupy energy so it would be unfair

Kaine Darkheart -SO-
Grand Admiral
Deicide

Posted: 2004-09-07 21:18   
part of the point of turning off shields is to stop energy loss, not make them use more and heal faster

Email Kaine Darkheart -SO-
Coeus {NCX-Charger}
Admiral, I can't read,
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-09-07 21:39   
Well, think of it this way...

The way I understand ICC shields in DS is like this:

Shields are forcefields & energy driven, and take energy to maintain. When they are active and drawing energy, there must be an energy reserve that they are pulling the nrg from. This is where we get our % of energy from.

Now, when the shields take a hit, they must maintain integrity by pulling energy from that reserve, and then energy can slowly trickle in from the reactor to replenish the reserve. At the same time the energy is trickling into the reserve, it is also being pumped out to maintain the reinforcement.

With me so far? I think this is a fair assumption, that when the shields are not active & putting out energy they should still be able to feed on energy to replenish - or shut off completely to save on energy.

There should be 3 settings. Online, offline, inactive.

Darkspace: Twilight

Goto the website of Coeus {NCX-Charger}
Linna Yamazaka {Vice Admiral}
Vice Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2004-09-08 01:09   
Quote:

On 2004-09-07 21:39, NCX-Charger wrote:

There should be 3 settings. Online, offline, inactive.

I like the Setting however i think they should be as follows. Online, Full power draining the power from the ships reactor or stoage device(s). Offline Not active and therefore not there, and Inactive, There are there but do not pull power from the reacto or stoage device(s) untill they are at 25% or turned back Online.

NCX-Charger If thats what You mean by the setting let me know, If not then post the ideals behind the three setting You had.

Two weeks™ Later and a new sig.

Email Linna Yamazaka {Vice Admiral}   Goto the website of Linna Yamazaka {Vice Admiral}
Hellza - Dark Master
Fleet Admiral
Praetorian Wolves

Posted: 2004-09-08 04:10   
whilst you wait for shields. the kluth and uggies gotta wait for there armour. nuff said.

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2004-09-08 08:05   
wth why have inactive...thats just using power......recharging shields...but htey dont work....

Shields using energy that dont work........I see many problems with that, the main one in it being useless....the only thing that needs to be done with Shielding is that it needs to be balanced a bit more. Hopefully with 1.143 and the Small, Medium and Large weapons, there should be more powerfull shields.

Leave the shield operation as it is. On and Off is all you need. I see absolutly no point in making it so you turn off shields so they recharge faster, they need to be drawing power to recharge, and if they are off...how can they draw?

Chromix
Cadet

Posted: 2004-09-08 08:14   
There is no tri-state support for gadgets atm.
It could however be added, once there are enough good concepts which need such.

Email Chromix
Doran
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2004-09-08 08:55   
isnt that why theres reactive and active shields in the first place?
reactive just draw power when they're recharging after being hit, while actives are always on and have a constant power drain but provide more defence or someting like that

Roger
Fleet Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-09-08 09:44   
1) Reactive shields are inactive untill ther is an incoming projectile. Before impact shields are raised to absorb the damage. Active shields are always active.

2) there are gona be 2 types of shields, active and reactive.

If we are to follow same idea as there is now I sugest we make reactive shields less powerfull (complex mechanism to rais and drop shields quickly) however make them regenerate faster.

Active shields on the other hand have more HP but regenerate slower.
If active shields are shut down, they could regenerate as fast as reactive shields. It also takes several seconds to rais them, so people dont keep switching them on and off. (unless there is a consensus to implemented thouse as a valid tactic for more advanced players that dont mind extra macromanagment)

Alternatively, power managment could be integrated in the future. For example. We could have 3 energy bars. Engines, shields/armor and weapons. Depending on power destribution, each of thease bars go up at differant rate. More power to shields/armor = faster regeneration (could be variation taht depends on armor/shield type). More power to weapons means faster regeneration for guns. Engine power controlls the ship top speed. This is basicly a rip off from Freespace, however its a greate idea that works and makes things a little bit more interasting

Coeus {NCX-Charger}
Admiral, I can't read,
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-09-08 10:26   
Its not really a rip from freespace. The tri-power management is something that is long held in space sims. Tie fighter vs XWing & Wing Commander being the two biggies.

I think the problem here is that we only really have the one choice in shielding since reactive shields are pretty craptacular compared to actives. I like the idea that reactives provide less protection but regen faster (like twice as fast) so that with some fancy flying & luck you could recharge from 0 to say 25% on aft shields while on the run in a matter of seconds (by pooling the energy from all 4 quadrants into the aft). This would buy you a few more hits on the aft quarter to do whatever you can do.

The given here is that 25% on reactive shields is like 10% on active shields or something such as that.

Yamaz - my thinking was this.

Online - drawing energy from the Storage device, Reactor pumps energy into the storage device to maintain a constant 100% capacity - the rate of energy flow INTO the storage is constant, a fairly small trickle compared to how much energy is flowing out.

Offline - Shields are down, not drawing power from either storage, or from the reactor into the storage.

Inactive - shields are down, storage is full. The power going into the storage is still the same, but the capacity builds up twice as fast because the shields are no longer drawing power FROM the storage. Because the relays between the storage and the shield emitters are inactive, it may take a few seconds to reinitialize the shields when returning from inactive status - whereas when in offline status, there is no power flow so the charge can be pulled directly into the emitters without worry about overload (I'm just making this up as an excuse to have a delay between shield activation & when the shields actually go up when in inactive mode ).

Now, the thing to remember here is that when in online & inactive status - power is still being drawn from the reactor to the capacitor at a steady rate - but when in inactive mode the shield emitters are no longer drawing power FROM the capacitor.

Think of it this way. The reactor is putting 2 energy into the capacitor. When in online mode, the shield emitters are drawing 1 energy, so that the remaining 1 energy can be used to recharge the capacitor (when shields are at 100% that 1 energy is burned off as heat or something). Now, when the shields are inactive, the reactor is still putting that 2 energy into the capacitor - but the shield emitters are no longer drawing that 1 energy, so the recharge into the capacitor is 2 instead of 1 - 2x the recharge rate.

Confusing, I know

Quote:
whilst you wait for shields. the kluth and uggies gotta wait for there armour. nuff said.

Very true, but ICC needs to wait for the shields to completely recharge because supply ships & depots can't recharge them any faster. Kluth & Uggies can camp by a heavy supp or a depot planet and be back into the fighting much much faster. I think this is the reason for the original suggestion.

Darkspace: Twilight

Goto the website of Coeus {NCX-Charger}
Gideon
Cadet

Posted: 2004-09-08 12:25   
483 stuff you should be aware of -

Armor will draw power.

ICC use shields and armor, as each is strong in it's own ways, and weak in other ways.

Ship based repair components no longer repair armor...and it's possible that only certain planet repair structures will.

Shields are quite powerful.

Email Gideon
Valerius{DK}
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-09-08 15:08   
Just one thing....

Shields should recharge faster when the energy to them are turned off??

Does your cell phone recharge faster, when you put in the recharger and turn off power to it?

In fact, shields should go down when you turn them off... that way its only fair...

Also, the on/off switch does serve a purpose, it helps to lower your signature when flying under ECM

Val

Email Valerius{DK}
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2004-09-08 15:14   
no there are such things as shield batteries that charge when power is cycled to it.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.033632 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR