No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.4 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Hull Defense Turrets, Super Weapons, Defense Platform Ideas.
 Author Hull Defense Turrets, Super Weapons, Defense Platform Ideas.
UnknownWarrior
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2004-09-07 15:19   
Was thinking this game needed a bit of an edge, and starting brainstorming up some ideas for Point Defense, Super Weapons, and some new ideas for Planetary Defense to hold back Capital Ships at a longer range.

Since we have to switch our Chemical Lasers (CL) over to Point Defense Mode, why not have some little hardpoints along the ships structure, say like the amount going like this:

Scout: 0
Frigate: 2
Destroyer: 4
Cruiser: 6
Dreadnought: 8
Station: 10
Engineer: 2
Transport: 2
Extractor: 2

And my ideas for each faction on the type of POint Defense Gun used for this:

ICC:

Smaller version of the current Rail Gun, only more rapid firing and more continuous than the current gun model. This weapon is mainly used for the point defense of ICC Class Warships. The weapon is used to take down fighters and missiles in a blanket screen of supression fire. It does about 1/2 the damage of the Rail Gun.

UGTO:

Smaller version of the Partical Cannon, same reasons as above, only for UGTO Class Warships. 1/2 Strength of the Partical Cannon.

K'Luth:

Smaller version of the Psi Cannon, same reason as above, only for K'Luth Class Warships. 1/2 Strength of the Psi Cannon.

Then i got the idea for a sort of super capital ship weapon for each faction. Based on everything ive been going through, sorting out the type of weapons each faction currently has, and then replacing those ideas apon some limiting factors, i came up with some nice little designs for each super weapon for each faction that would be limited for use in that one faction alone. For example, the ICC Super Weapon CANNOT be used by the other factions, so it stays as ICC, as does the UGTO and K'Luth stay with their own factions. So this weapon will only work on Dreadnoughts and Stations due to the large size and the firepower it carries. And will only be a Front Arced Weapon.

ICC, an Assault Cannon:

Basically a larger version of the Fusion Torpedo, combined with the effects of a Proton Cruiser Missile and a Gauss Gun. This weapon fires 3 Consecutive rounds per shot. Delivering a good amount of damaged. The two first rounds are good enough to destroy the Armour/Shields in that area it hits, and the third round delivers a hard punch. So if the ship was at 100% on hull and Armour, the two rounds would destroy the Armour/Shields completely, then the last round would take the ships hull down to 95-90%. Recharge rate is 2x More than a Rail Gun. Ammo Counter is at 15. Maximum Range is 550-600 GU. (Heavy Cannon Class)

UGTO, a Shiva Torpedo:

Scaled up version and crossbreed of the Proton Torpedo, Proton Cruise Missile, and Flux Cannon. This weapon would fire one to two rounds per shot, most likely will fire two rounds to be able to keep up with the ICC's Assault Cannon. This weapon even though firing one round less, does special damage. The first round, impacts the shields/armour, destroying that, and the second round hits the hull, taking it down to 95-90% while destroying most of the systems onboard the ship completely. Any other surviving systems are taking down to 50%. This gives the UGTO ship that has fired a chance to move in and destroy the cripled ship. Most of the Flux effects head straight for the first system it encounters, just like the Flux Cannon and Flux Wave. Recharge rate is 2/3 of a Proton Cruise Missile. Ammo Counter is at 14. Maximum Range is 500-550 GU. (Special Torpedo Class)

For K'Luth, a Lance Beam Cannon:

The Lance Beam Cannon, is a high rate charge beam cannon. Much to the combination of a CL2000, Disruptor, and ELF Beam. The Lance Beam fires a long thin beam cannon, as small as the current CL300 of the ICC and UGTO. The beam will rip through the ships armour/shields, and knock the current ships hull down by at least 10-15% damage. The only reason this weapon does a good amount of damage is the face of how weak a K'Luths ships are. Under most cases, if the damage was too low, the ship would be destroyed before it could fire. So it has a little longer of a Recharge Rate than the Disruptor, or CL 2000. Maximum Range is 350-400 GU(Super Beam Class)

As for Orbital Defense Platforms, its basically the same thing from each faction, same range and such, and will have Firing Arcs to compensate for the massive amount of damage they do. Some things that would have changed goes as follows:

ICC Orbital Defense Platform: Max Amount is 5 Bases per planet(to allow Defense Bases, SYs etc.) takes 25 People to crew. Takes up a good 30-40 Power, Tech Level Requirement: 90. It is the same design as the ICC Assault Cannon, except only fires one big powerful round and not three rounds per shot. So the one shot will blow through the Armour/Shields completely, and still carry over with a hard punch to the hull. Recharge rate is equal to that of half the time it takes to reload an IT Missile. Range is 400GU.

UGTO Defense Platform: 5 Base Limit per planet, same reason as above. 25 Workers to crew, 30-40 Power Usage, Tech Level Requirement: 90. Same design as the UGTO Shiva Torpedo, only when it fires, fires a much larger round, and emits a Flux Wave apon impact, so smaller ships around the ship that is impacted become affected. Recharge rate is equal to that of half the time it takes to reload an IT Missile. Range is 400GU

K'Luth Lance Platorm: 5 Base Limit per Planet, same reasons above. 25 Workers to crew, 30-40 Power Usage, Tech Level Requirement: 90. Basically along the same lines as the Kluth Lance Beam Cannon. Only a little bit more deadlier. Same recharge rate and range as the ship based Lance Beam Cannon. Recharge rate is equal to that of half the time it takes to reload an ELF Beam.

Now keep in mind, out of the two years i have been here, ive tried to balance these out a bit due to either amount of damage or special abilities. So you can now flame me all you want, i just wanted to give this a shot. And just incase this idea is considered, i would suggest upping the Armour/Shield/Hull Points a bit to compensate for this, either that or leave them where they are for a good amount of time until all the bugs are worked out.

Email UnknownWarrior
Lupino
Cadet

Posted: 2004-09-07 20:24   
I think it was Gideon who said they couldn't have other weapons perform PD due to some programming thing or whatnot, but I've always loved the idea.
Quote:

On 2004-09-07 15:19, Duo-21st- wrote:
ICC, an Assault Cannon:

Basically a larger version of the Fusion Torpedo, combined with the effects of a Proton Cruiser Missile and a Gauss Gun. This weapon fires 3 Consecutive rounds per shot. Delivering a good amount of damaged. The two first rounds are good enough to destroy the Armour/Shields in that area it hits, and the third round delivers a hard punch. So if the ship was at 100% on hull and Armour, the two rounds would destroy the Armour/Shields completely, then the last round would take the ships hull down to 95-90%. Recharge rate is 2x More than a Rail Gun. Ammo Counter is at 15. Maximum Range is 550-600 GU. (Heavy Cannon Class)

Sounds a lot like the MAC from Halo Love it.

The rest are good too, esp. Kluth lance beams

Chubba
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-09-07 20:34   
i like the ideas

Linna Yamazaka {Vice Admiral}
Vice Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2004-09-08 01:12   
Nice Ideal I like them and will vote for them IF it comes to that. =^.^=

Two weeks™ Later and a new sig.

Email Linna Yamazaka {Vice Admiral}   Goto the website of Linna Yamazaka {Vice Admiral}
Novacat
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-09-08 15:31   
A Short FYIs:

Assault-class ships already have a Spinal-mount Assault-class weapon in 1.483.

I would love a projectile-based Point Defense, however, Projectile-based point defense will probably be somewhere along the lines of flak.

[ This Message was edited by: RedXIII on 2004-09-08 15:31 ]

Goto the website of Novacat
Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2004-09-08 19:22   
Too many halo refrences...still a good game...

Quote:

On 2004-09-07 15:19, Duo-21st- wrote:

ICC, an Assault Cannon:

ICC is supposed to be defensive. Make this into a Planet Defending Structure. or just Rename it the MAC gun and place it in orbit =D

Quote:

UGTO, a Shiva Torpedo:

Scaled up version and crossbreed of the Proton Torpedo, Proton Cruise Missile, and Flux Cannon. This weapon would fire one to two rounds per shot, most likely will fire two rounds to be able to keep up with the ICC's Assault Cannon. This weapon even though firing one round less, does special damage. The first round, impacts the shields/armour, destroying that, and the second round hits the hull, taking it down to 95-90% while destroying most of the systems onboard the ship completely. Any other surviving systems are taking down to 50%. This gives the UGTO ship that has fired a chance to move in and destroy the cripled ship. Most of the Flux effects head straight for the first system it encounters, just like the Flux Cannon and Flux Wave. Recharge rate is 2/3 of a Proton Cruise Missile. Ammo Counter is at 14. Maximum Range is 500-550 GU. (Special Torpedo Class)

mmm...Shiva is another halo reference.....Shiva was the "Tatical Nuke in a football" that destroyed Reach.....something like that...Anyway, it would neeed to be a nuke missle.....instead of a flux...

Quote:

For K'Luth, a Lance Beam Cannon:

The Lance Beam Cannon, is a high rate charge beam cannon. Much to the combination of a CL2000, Disruptor, and ELF Beam. The Lance Beam fires a long thin beam cannon, as small as the current CL300 of the ICC and UGTO. The beam will rip through the ships armour/shields, and knock the current ships hull down by at least 10-15% damage. The only reason this weapon does a good amount of damage is the face of how weak a K'Luths ships are. Under most cases, if the damage was too low, the ship would be destroyed before it could fire. So it has a little longer of a Recharge Rate than the Disruptor, or CL 2000. Maximum Range is 350-400 GU(Super Beam Class)

Besides the fact that these weapons would anhilate ships...their good....maybe a bit weaker...cause if heirs like 4 of these and they fire...your ship is toast man..

Quote:

Now keep in mind, out of the two years i have been here, ive tried to balance these out a bit due to either amount of damage or special abilities. So you can now flame me all you want, i just wanted to give this a shot. And just incase this idea is considered, i would suggest upping the Armour/Shield/Hull Points a bit to compensate for this, either that or leave them where they are for a good amount of time until all the bugs are worked out.

all good...

Hellza - Dark Master
Fleet Admiral
Praetorian Wolves

Posted: 2004-09-09 03:40   
naaaaa

Sc0tTn
Cadet

Posted: 2004-09-09 04:02   
A2S weren't u criticising someone about not using constructive criticism?
I can't see any in your post!

Btw, I like the idea as it will free up some beam slots, dunno about raliguns though

[small][ This Message was edited by: Scottn on 2004-09-09 04:32 ][/small]

[ This Message was edited by: Scottn on 2004-09-09 04:44 ]

Email Sc0tTn
Hellza - Dark Master
Fleet Admiral
Praetorian Wolves

Posted: 2004-09-09 04:37   
that was constructive. i dont like the idea lol

Sc0tTn
Cadet

Posted: 2004-09-09 04:43   
ok then

[ This Message was edited by: Scottn on 2004-09-09 08:40 ]

Email Sc0tTn
Page created in 0.020873 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR