No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 Now

Search

Anniversaries

1st - Alamode

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Planet lock outs
 Author Planet lock outs
Hellza - Dark Master
Fleet Admiral
Praetorian Wolves

Posted: 2004-07-23 11:39   
I have encountered games where for example a GA/FA/A have entered a game, locked a planet to stop a lower rank tampering with it, then they leave the game, rendering the planet useless to the faction they were in. Could something be put in place where as if that player left the game, then that/those planets they locked automatically unlock leaving them free for the rest of the players to use ?

Novacat
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-07-23 11:47   
That was originally implimented, but it was rendered moot when, during the night, when sabatages happened, all planets would immediatly revert back to Midshipmen because of the complete lack of any rank.

Goto the website of Novacat
Wyke {ThorsHammer}
Cadet

Posted: 2004-07-23 12:06   
Quote:

On 2004-07-23 11:39, CollectiveBob Squarepants wrote:
unlock leaving them free for the rest of the players to use ?

You can *use* a locked planet, you can buy or sell at the starport, you can use the depots to repair, draw troops from it barracks or use the shipyard.

What locking prevents is the planets building being removed/changed/sabotaged accidentally or on purpose.

If a high rank player has choosen to lock a planet it is usually for a good reason and they can only lock planets their fleet has captured.

[ This Message was edited by: Wyke on 2004-07-23 15:42 ]

Email Wyke {ThorsHammer}
Fornax
Marshal
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2004-07-23 13:07   
Just my opinion, but Lock outs (aka Planet Locking) isn't really a bad thing.

The real story here is this: With rank comes responsibility.

What that means, in my opinion is this. If a planet is locked at my level or below (FA currently) - and it needs work or just somebody to set production in the factories...whether I can unlock it or not...it is my responsibility to my faction to do what needs to be done.

That means get out of your combat vessel and get into something that can build...or zoom into the planet via the Nav screen and set the factories to building.

Nax

Fatal Command (CO)
Marshal
Fatal Squadron

From: over here in New York noticing some ppl are like canoes.....they need to be paddled.
Posted: 2004-07-23 13:39   
TS always keeps mods building ...but we always lock planets due to noobs wanting to rebuild to suit them.well...we built it how WE want it...so.....planet locked.

Email Fatal Command (CO)
Hellza - Dark Master
Fleet Admiral
Praetorian Wolves

Posted: 2004-07-23 14:16   
I am a Admiral myself, but you lot of "GA's and FA's" are missing my point. i meant on the newbie server, not MV. so if you flit in then out, locking planets, then ppl after you, aka noobs deserve the right to rebuild a half bombed planet or whatever. that is what i meant. so get of your high horses.

[ This Message was edited by: CollectiveBob Squarepants on 2004-07-23 14:19 ]

Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2004-07-23 15:08   
newbie server? That's kinda different. It's generally done, according to threads I've read, because you are building a planet, and some poor innocent know nothing comes along and decides to "help" you build. It seems to create many arguements that then seem to turn into FF being visited upon the offending noobie. But if you leave, you should really should unlock your planet. Even a sigle locked planet with nobody to unlock it can turn the tides to unfair proportions.

However, I would try 2 things if it happens to you.
1. Ask a person in the lobby to come in and unlock it. It is hard to get on the right team, as the even fleet setting won't allow it at times. But with creativity, even that could work, by getting more than one high ranked person to help.
2. wait for the enemy to cap it, then recap it back. problem solved.

Email Azreal   Goto the website of Azreal
Fornax
Marshal
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2004-07-23 17:28   
You're right - the newbie server is different. It's only up for a little while, and people get to the point where "it's mine". Admirals like me shouldn't really be on it.

Fatal Command (CO)
Marshal
Fatal Squadron

From: over here in New York noticing some ppl are like canoes.....they need to be paddled.
Posted: 2004-07-23 18:56   
I dont lock in newbie unless I am building it....and always unlock when I leave....and my horse aint high...

Email Fatal Command (CO)
Valerius{DK}
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-07-23 20:49   
Quote:

On 2004-07-23 15:08, Azreal wrote:
2. wait for the enemy to cap it, then recap it back. problem solved.

I strongly advise against any one following that advise.

Quote:

RoC 3.3 d
Allegiance

Description: Members of different teams/factions cooperating for mutual prestige gain (IE, build/bomb runs, attack/repair runs, capture/capture runs). KEEP IN MIND THAT AN ALLEGIANCE OF 2 SIDES TO ATTACK A 3RD IS PERFECTLY LEGAL!

Why Its an Exploit: Obviously, opposing teams are not meant to cooperate to gain prestige during war time.

Although this is a unique situation, it is still considered cheating to let the enemy take one of your planets.

Val

[edit]
typos fixed

- Captain of Assault Cruiser 'ICS Bona Gratia'
- Captain of Assault Dreadnought 'ICS Sanctus Antonius'
- Captain of Support Station 'ICS Nightingale'

[ This Message was edited by: Valerius{DK} on 2004-07-23 20:54 ]

Email Valerius{DK}
Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2004-07-23 22:29   
We also don't want to program in an exception, where if its a scenario, to have locks expire or set lower to the max rank. Since the code is all the same, it would screw up the MV, which we don't want.

Email Shigernafy
Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2004-07-24 07:24   
HMMMM. So in other words, if the planets are locked, your screwed, and you can't get help with it, then you shut it off and grab a beer.

mmmmmmm. beerrrr.

Email Azreal   Goto the website of Azreal
Noob
Cadet

Posted: 2004-07-24 14:29   
collective is being a hypocrite. he comes into the newbie server and starts messing and locking out planets people have capped and built by themselves to suit his own purpose. i know because he has done this three times to me.

anyway, it should be locked at maxrank not rank way past everyone else on the server.

Dempster
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-07-24 15:21   
lol val you could always have a hidden agenda and taunt the other team into capping it couldnt you?

Hellza - Dark Master
Fleet Admiral
Praetorian Wolves

Posted: 2004-07-24 16:30   
Noob, your comment missed the point. I was addressing people locking and leaving. Noobs comment comes out of anger as he doesnt like me. For the 1 reason, i play as a team with others. He plays alone and doesnt like people touching or modding "his" planets. He is also a very selfish person who wont help others, unless it benifits himself. So noob, grow up man. or are you only about 12-13 years old, then the immaturity you show is acceptable as childeren often act like the way you behave

[ This Message was edited by: Admiral Collective on 2004-07-24 16:31 ]

Page created in 0.031751 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR