Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 +1.9 Days

Search

Anniversaries

16th - Voidraptor
11th - SatchBoogie

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Basic Scripting Discussion » » Have serious programming questions..
 Author Have serious programming questions..
Banzi
Cadet

Posted: 2004-07-07 13:06   
I have just recently came to this game and im quite enjoying it! infact i really cant stop playing this game!

Anyways I have many many years of programming experience either with Databases or Games.

Now my question is. Since i have never used your software that your wrote your scripts for. How complex can the AI be? is it boundless? Or is there certain limitations within DS itself that the scripts cant abound too.

How in depth can the AI be? Can I go crazy and make a 4th faction, with preset worlds and for them to be able to go out and search for bombing missions, defend planets, cap and build new planets?

So if anyone knows any knows of this and wants to have a detailed disscussion about the possibilites I would really like that. Or needs help with coding issues..

you can give me a reply here (since im locked out of all the advanced stuff *grumbles*) or a tell in game..

Peace.

Lawman
Fleet Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-07-07 13:14   
Alright welcome to the dev team now help faustaus with the 1.482 patch so it can go in beta.

Email Lawman   Goto the website of Lawman
Tael
2nd Rear Admiral
Palestar

Posted: 2004-07-07 13:15   
This belongs in the basic script discussion forum

Once you have demonstrated the basic scripting skills, Chromix will promote you to the advance script forum...

The AI can be vey advance... The last test run Chromix and I ran with a single AI, in equal ships, the AI was able to keep me fighting it for close to 30 minutes before I killed it, and was badly hurt...

We are looking to adding more advance features as well.

Email Tael
Chromix
Cadet

Posted: 2004-07-07 14:15   
Quote:
How complex can the AI be? is it boundless

Lua is a turing-complete, extensible, programming language. Do what ever you like (and are able to specify by code)

Quote:
How in depth can the AI be?

Don't exceed the available CPU time

Quote:
make a 4th faction

You can't, we can But you probably wanted to know if you could create a group of ships acting as a team. Yes. You'd prolly need to code a hierarchal AI for that purpose (strategic, tactical, per ship). Strategic and tactical AI can be coded without using any DS specific LUA API functions though, assuming the basic functionality (sense/act) exists.

Aside from that, you should familiarize yourself with Lua first, there's enough info in this forum on it (at least I hope so).

Email Chromix
Banzi
Cadet

Posted: 2004-07-08 00:08   
Quote:

On 2004-07-07 13:14, Lawman*VA* wrote:
Alright welcome to the dev team now help faustaus with the 1.482 patch so it can go in beta.

Thanks for the welcome..

And yes since at the present moment I have loads of time on my hands. But to help Faustaus that would be a desicion he would have to make but I would be glad to help if needed.

I think this game has alot of great things.. Just wanted to do my own aswell not only for myself but for others.

Thinking about hosting a server. But whated to know how in detail I can go with my ideas.

Banzi
Cadet

Posted: 2004-07-08 00:16   
Quote:

On 2004-07-07 13:15, Tael wrote:
This belongs in the basic script discussion forum

Once you have demonstrated the basic scripting skills, Chromix will promote you to the advance script forum...

The AI can be vey advance... The last test run Chromix and I ran with a single AI, in equal ships, the AI was able to keep me fighting it for close to 30 minutes before I killed it, and was badly hurt...

We are looking to adding more advance features as well.

Umm sorry didnt know where to put it.. remember im new here..6th day and counting. And i tried to place it in advanced (Since I have a couple degrees and one is Computer Science) And have been programming for the last 20 years. But thanks for letting me know what must be done to get into the advanced forum. But instead of proving myself maybe ill just have a long conversation with him.

Thats great news about the AI abilities. This means I can achieve my goals and then some. for sure I will make my server now.

Banzi
Cadet

Posted: 2004-07-08 00:30   
Chromix,
Just a couple questions if you will.
Are you a programmer for DS? or just an player who writes?

Quote:

On 2004-07-07 14:15, Chromix wrote:
is it boundless Lua is a turing-complete, extensible, programming language. Do what ever you like (and are able to specify by code)

I will have to look into getting Lua very soon. Question is it pascal based? Basic? C? or does it have its own sytax.

Quote:
Don't exceed the available CPU time

Aye. I have wrote and helped write various computer games for some companys. Is Lua able to except outside dll's or can it/will it be able to use assembler within it.

Quote:
You can't, we can But you probably wanted to know if you could create a group of ships acting as a team. Yes. You'd prolly need to code a hierarchal AI for that purpose (strategic, tactical, per ship). Strategic and tactical AI can be coded without using any DS specific LUA API functions though, assuming the basic functionality (sense/act) exists.

hmm interesting. What I wanted to do was basically create my own world. say? ICC on one side and UGTO on other enable the AI to be a side and pratice what I needed and wanted. (6th day playing seems like theres alot to learn here =P ) Or just try different things out without the interuptions of others (Meaning early bombing runs are hard to adjust to when new and not have certain things setup). More like a do-it-all pratice grounds where Im hoping to write different serinos to fit the desired effect[/quote]

Quote:

Aside from that, you should familiarize yourself with Lua first, there's enough info in this forum on it (at least I hope so).

O yes I will just wanted to know certain questions before making the effort. =)

Anyways thanks for answering the questions. Seems like your the man to goto around here. And like i said I have been programming for many many years now. If i can lead a hand let me know.

Pope
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-07-08 06:47   
> or does it have its own sytax.
yes

> Is Lua able to except outside dll's
> or can it/will it be able to use assembler within it.
lua is by design an integrated scripting language. what ever you bind with the host program, and provide in the lua-c api, can be used. with modern compilers and varying cpus, assembler loses relevance quickly.

for more information, see http://www.lua.org/manual/5.0/manual.html#3

Chromix
Cadet

Posted: 2004-07-08 10:17   
Quote:
> or does it have its own sytax.
yes

Yep, like pascal, c, a bit functional programming, easy syntax.

Quote:
Is Lua able to except outside dll's

Lua can indeed load libs, but for DS it's disabled due to security reasons.
Sample code I use on a linux box to load an improved RegExp lib:
(forum will probably kill the formatting)

if not rex then
trace( "Namespace rex not found, loading..." );
local pLib, sError = loadlib("liblualib.so", "luaopen_rex");
if not pLib then
trace( "Error: " .. sError );
return;
end
trace( "LoadLib succeeded..." );

if not pcall(pLib) then
trace( "pCall failed: " .. pLib );
end
trace( "pCall succeeded..." );

function rex.find(s, r)
return rex.comp(r):match(s)
end

trace( "Declared function... all done" );
end

There is an #include like statement to (dynamically) load other .lua files though.

Quote:
or can it/will it be able to use assembler within it.

CPU intensive routines can be written in C and be compiled into DS. That way they're accessible as API function to the script. Lua is a pretty fast scripting language, so I doubt you'll have much need for non-Lua code.

Quote:
...create my own world

If your free time can be measured in a quantity of months: yes, maybe.

Oh and as already stated, have fun with the reference manual
The API section might not be that relevant for you though.
Btw: read the other threads, especially the sticky ones to get more info.

Email Chromix
Banzi
Cadet

Posted: 2004-07-08 15:41   
Chromix..

Thanks for all your help.

Forseth (Ret)
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-07-08 17:08   
Quote:

Peace.

hey im really glad your enjoying this game, but thats my salutation, you cant use it or you owe me a dollar hey im jking ya, but im glad your haveing a good time here with us.

Email Forseth (Ret)
Banzi
Cadet

Posted: 2004-07-09 19:36   
Quote:

On 2004-07-08 17:08, Forseth wrote:

hey im really glad your enjoying this game, but thats my salutation, you cant use it or you owe me a dollar hey im jking ya, but im glad your haveing a good time here with us.

Thanks Bro..

Having alot of fun.. Now just need to learn how the tatics of the game work. And everything like that.

And i sent you 2 dollars so far..

Peace.

Page created in 0.024901 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR