No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 Now

Search

Anniversaries

1st - Alamode

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Diplomacy and Building
 Author Diplomacy and Building
Aragorn
Cadet

Posted: 2004-06-24 22:03   
Seems to me that this game could really be enhanced by a couple new features, one of which factored in the MV today. I'd appreciate hearing what y'all think:

Treaties and Diplomacy
Fleets could negotiated truces and when finalized, instead of rival factions in the aforementioned fleets appearing as Red icons, they could appear as Grey or Yellow until they fire on you causeing damage at which time they revert back to Red. This would aid in alliances such as what happened with the Kluth and the ICC today and my result in no longer needing the veteren players to switch factions to rescue factions that are not doing well.

Building
I, for one, like building planets and getting as much outta them as possible. Ya, I know thats twisted but wtv... I'm old. I remember Faustus mentioning that he was thinking of expanding planet invasions into first player shoot em up formats... an idea I was lukewarm too ( not that that matters ) because I thought it might slow the flow of the tactical game.... I thought expanding the building portion to a SIM (SIM CITY formula) building game might be a great natural extention to that game where you not only build planets in terms of tech and def but also cultivate individual cultures, city and society building which lead to distinct characters in politics, resource, tech, or military advantages..... ie, one planet might be more tech advanced and lead to random unique improvement in sensors or just better sensors while others might be more troop military based and churn out highter caliber troops, another planet might develope a pacificstic bent depending on how it is built and turn into a food source planet supplying an entire star system with food so they can build more wtv but it, itself with little def.

I think the extended build idea could add a new element to building...

oh and while I am blabbing.....

why oh why should a tiny moon such as Rhea have 32 build spots and a monster planet such as Inner Core also have 32..... inquiring minds wanna know?

Tell me what ya think everyone.

Email Aragorn
Meko
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-06-24 23:27   
too complicated methinks......

thats a game unto itself

Email Meko
Captain Sternn
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-06-25 01:57   
A unique and cultured society, a happy population that was painstakinly nurtured to become a technological wonder,where the most briliant minds from around the galaxy converge. a virtual Gaia world with parks, where famillies are safe, and happy........until the enemy MIRV dread appears and turns this gem into a radioactive wasteland....LMAO

DeathClaw
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2004-06-25 04:02   
if it ever is implemented, people will think LOADS before ever scrapping before a cap or doing anything to the planet.. unless of course the word sabotage is used.

Sc0tTn
Cadet

Posted: 2004-06-25 07:52   
Great idea, but probably just pipe dreams unless big F gets loads more money and can hire full time programmers or more if there are already some.

Email Sc0tTn
Doran
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2004-06-25 10:17   
Quote:

On 2004-06-24 22:03, Aragorn wrote:
why oh why should a tiny moon such as Rhea have 32 build spots and a monster planet such as Inner Core also have 32.....

zoneing laws

Wyke {ThorsHammer}
Cadet

Posted: 2004-06-25 14:00   
Quote:

On 2004-06-24 22:03, Aragorn wrote:

why oh why should a tiny moon such as Rhea have 32 build spots and a monster planet such as Inner Core also have 32..... inquiring minds wanna know?

To late I already have the deeds for Inner Core, and I'll be opening Planets-R-Us, new franchises are expected to become available shortly in Kluth and ICC space.

Email Wyke {ThorsHammer}
Fornax
Marshal
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2004-06-25 14:21   
Modification of Treaties and Diplomacy.

Alliances would be setup on the Fleet Admin page for any given fleet.
Each alliance starts as Fleet Specific - but, three modes.

1) Secret (nobody can see)
2) Secret (can invite other fleets to join by 'sending' them an invitation
3) All other Fleets can See it and Request to join
(done by applying and being approved by the originating two fleets)
4) All other Fleets can See it and are automatically approved to join.

If a sufficient percentage of all players for a given faction sign on, it may be possible that ALL members, signatory or not, become members. (Majority rule)

As a recommendation, I'd make this an Admin function with time limits.

From listening in the lobby and reading the forums, I think a Ground Combat supplement is a given. It's going to happen. Only variable is the form it takes. Also listening in the lobby, the general idea is to make planets take far longer to build up. Weeks & Months instead of Minutes & hours.

Given that kind of building time - I'd like to see MV resets not completely clear the MV, but reset the homeworlds and/or a limited number of bases be part of the default "base" MV.

In my opinion, ship equipment efficiency runs the risk of seriously imbalancing combat...what this game is supposed to be about. If something is implemented, it *must* be possible to completely ignore it as a player at their option. Nobody says you *have* to modify your ships, for example. Stock ships are harder to do well in, but it's still possible.

Nax

Axalon
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2004-06-25 14:36   
About Fleet diplomacy:

I think its a great idea on the outset, and would lead up to the *creation* of new factions, which would cause the possibility of civil war between factions (IE: GER and allies vs. UEPG and allies, an uggy civil war), causing weaknesses in a faction, but also brings a stronger sense of unity between players. The original purpose was for entire faction alliances and mercenary groups helping out other factions, but this would bring more importance and prestige(not the points, the umm... valor) to clans, as opposed to your tag in the planet name description. The only problem is that if this could happen, each group could possibly have all ship designs at once (IE: Uggy, ICC, K'luth group 1 vs Uggy, ICC, K'luth group 2), and that would just shatter faction uniqueness. Keep that in mind and post suggestions.

Email Axalon
kaskhaar
Cadet

Posted: 2004-06-25 18:03   
Quote:

Fleets could negotiated truces and when finalized...

...they could appear as Grey or Yellow until they fire on you causeing damage at which time they revert back to Red.

what about FF???

what now?

Tellaris
Grand Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2004-06-25 20:49   
Quote:

On 2004-06-25 18:03, kaskhaar (DTA)*Lt* wrote:
Quote:

Fleets could negotiated truces and when finalized...

...they could appear as Grey or Yellow until they fire on you causeing damage at which time they revert back to Red.

what about FF???

In this case, FF wouldn't apply, but you wouldn't gain points until they turned red. That can sorta discourage players from opening fire. And, while we are at it, why not take it a step further, and rather then makeing an FPS, could do it in a RTS style. (this ties into another older idea I forgot)

For example:
Player controling attacking armies will want to secure the planet asap with as little losses as possible. Thus, the player controling the attacking armies will want to stratigically divide up and conquer the planet. Depending on how a player feels like doing this, they may try and secure the barracks, and mines, to aid in their attack. (Attacking players would start off with 0 resources, thus would have to secure a mine or hub) This would obviously take away from what the defender has available to them. Once the attacker has control of such buildings, they may want to begin taking control of the defence bases, to assist in the orbital fight. Then, once the player has taken control of all the important buildings, they may try to finish off the defending infantry to completely secure the planet.

In contrast, the defending player will want to try to hold important buildings, while at the same time try to push the attackers back. If the attackers take a stratigicly important building, the defender may want to try to take it back ASAP.

Other things could be introduced. For example, temporary base buildings that are scrapped upon captureing a planet. The attacker could build maybe a barracks and a mine or so, to assist in the invasion. To do this, the attacker would have already needed to secure some of the planet. If you want to complicate this somewhat, it could be required that some kind of "Engineer" infantry be placed on the planet to build these buildings. Being the very basic of structures, they would reproduce at a lower rate, and the soldiers recruited would be even worse fighters then greens, simply because, being recruited from the surrounding villages and towns, they would lack the loyalty to fight to any degree against their own friends.

Could still do it in a FPS way, this could just be what the "Commander" of the invasion gets to do.

Meko
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-06-26 21:19   
the idea about having a Fleet creating thier own "Rouge group" that can ally with anyone is a WICKED idea.

Mercenarrie is a profession that i would Love to be.

Also making a "icc fleet, ugto fleet, and Kluth fleet" all in one wouldnt happen.

because Icc wouldnt ally with UGTO to take over ICC space.
ICC would ally with UGTO to take over Kluth space.

maybe to stop ICC from attacking ICC (with the help of another faction) if theres another faction invading all ICC in the area are "temp allies"

dunno just some thoughts

Email Meko
Aragorn
Cadet

Posted: 2004-06-27 00:09   
Hey everyone,

Thanks for the feed back and thoughts. I'm glad some of you have expanded on the idea because I think elements of it could be kinda cool.

Just to clearify, the origonal idea was just to make it easier for factions to allie albiet temporarily. I concept of enitre faction fleets switching sides to form mixed fleets is interesting and not really what I intended by the suggestion. It's a good point though so something would ahve to be set up to counter act that possiblity.

Thanks again
A

Email Aragorn
Dauphin
Grand Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2004-06-27 15:05   
1. good idea

2. Never learned to build in new patch, so I don't care

Email Dauphin
Page created in 0.023148 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR