Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +4.1 Days

Search

Anniversaries

22th - Tellaris
17th - Oskar von Reuenthal

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Tactics & New Players » » Review of: ICC Command Carrier
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author Review of: ICC Command Carrier
Juxtapose
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-04-07 12:07   
The ICC Command Carrier.

Everything that is useless about the ICC Carrier Cruiser, writ large, slow, and with less armor…yet somehow, 100% better. That’s right. Both have 4 Full Cannon slots and 4 M7 Fighters, but the Cruiser comes with a forward Armor Slot and a whole heck of a lot of maneuverability and acceleration. Then what makes the difference? A Trio of CL1000’s, a Build/Reload Slot, three special Slots and a cargo that fits 6, comfortably helps a bunch.

The Command Carrier is the Jack of all trades…which means, unlike the UGTO version, it is the master of none of them. The Command Carrier is not designed to strike out alone, engage multiple targets in solo combat, or scout. What it can do is provide overwhelming support for a combat fleet, a bomber strike force or long distance raiding party…oh, and it can build. I’m not going to do much comparison between the ICC CC vs. the UGTO CD, cause though they share the same ship-class their roles are very different…but a little comparison is helpful:

Command Dread vs. Command Carrier
The UGTO Command Dread is an unstoppable Capping machine. If you don’t like playing with others, or just want to get away…this is the ship for you. What it isn’t, though, is a Command Dread. That is where the ICC Command Carrier comes in. The ICC version really isn’t meant to be flown alone, its meant to support and be supportive. These differences are most apparent in armament and in defense. The UGTO CD is just better equipped to take a pounding, but less likely to dish out one. The ICC CC will most likely take a pounding and shed a lot of hull in the process, but it can dish it out.

Which is a perfect lead into the Command Carrier and it’s versatile combat role

The ICC Command Carrier In Combat

Here’s a little anecdotal evidence of how groovy the Command Carrier is in battle taken from last night in Nicea around IC1 and IC2, which is blanketed in a Nebula:

The ICC were capping the Inner Core Cluster. The enemy was there, but hard to find within the Nebula. I un-mounted one of my two reactors and remounted an ECCM. Now I had two. I switched them both on and…lo and behold! 1000gu out was an UGTO Battle cruiser. I turned to engage the enemy.

In my 4 Cannon slots were 4 AR Missles. Once in range, about 800gu away and closing, I fired a salvo of 4 missiles and my 4 M7 Fighters. In my hull were 4 Sabot Rockets. I quickly replaced my AR Missiles with Sabots, reloaded myself with my nifty re-loader and had just enough time to strengthen my forward shield before the BC came in range. He charged right into several waves of Sabot Rockets, was splattered with Fighter Railgun fire and then was hit with 3 CL2000’s at 175gu.

Of course, I charged right into several waves of F-torps and a heck of a lot of Particle fire. Just enough to give me about 5% hull damage. The BC was a bit worse off and even after veering off, where his forward facing weapons could not attack, he was being raked by Sabots, lasers and Fighters. He outpaced me, but I chased. I re-equipped my AR missiles, sent off another wave of fighters while the missiles were charging and then fired those at him too. By the end of this fight, I had taken about 6% hull damage, he jumped out at 54%. (though I believe he may have received a salvo from a Missle Dread as well)

Point is, in battle, this ship possess the ability to change to suit its combat needs.

The second semi-solo battle I had (because at this point there were numerous UGTO and the battle was a bit more pitched) was primarily against a Torpedo Cruiser. You may think having a Reload would help, but the speed in which you can fix damage compared to the speed a Torpedo Cruiser can deliver it…its almost an insignificant advantage…almost. The TC fled the battle with about 50% damage, leaving me with 47% Hull. I know I gave him the initial 10% damage and the last 10% damage and maybe a collective 10% during the middle, but there was definitely 20% damage there that I did not do. The 53% hull loss that I suffered (really 55% as during the entire fight my Reloads probably gave me an addition 2% hull…not really enough to save my butt had I not had a fleet to run to) was entirely from the Torpedo Cruiser.

This point is? Battle Cruisers and below, as long as there are only 1, you can take them. More than 1 BC or 1 TC, unless they forget to press the space-bar, being a good pilot isn’t going to save you.

Combat Support

Fixing a Dreadnaught takes forever with one reload…seemingly twice as long if you are fixing yourself. The Command Dread is not meant for combat as described above; unless you have a fleet to back you up or to run to (I choose a mix of both), so avoid the long waits and just hang back. Like I said before, this ship is a great centerpiece for any fleet. It can mount 3 eccm for Bug Hunting, 3 ECM to facilitate bombing…and reload the bomber, or a mix of both when you are just not sure. It’s a Supply Ship for the Missle Dreads that can also participate in the fight…It’s a Engineer with teeth… My suggestion: Don’t waste your cargo hold on Infantry, though one to help repel boarders is a must, keep a nice collection of useful gadgets and weapons, thats what you are there for.

The Command Carrier vs. The K'luth

Having battled both with this Dread, I definetly feel that the Command Carrier is best used when fighting those pesky aliens. Three Special slots? Fighters? Mount some 4 Gauss Guns or Psi Missles? Sounds like a receipt for keeping the Bugs at Bay! And it is.

This ship's diverse armaments makes it much more capable in dealing with K'luth Destroyers and other fast attack craft than your typical Assault Cruiser. For one: with 1 to 3 ECCM running, you are bound to be able to detect the bugs. With Fighters and missles, rockets or Cannons, you are less likely to miss...and more capable of inflicting damage against their poorly armored hull at a distance. And if they close? As soon as the K'luth get in range to fire their Disruptors, you got your CL2000's.

The Command Carrier can stand against any one K'luth ship, below Dreadnaught class. More than one Claw and you got issues... if you are alone and there is a Dreadnaught...it's easier to run when you still got engines...

Review and Conclusion

The ICC Command Dread is one of the perfectly balanced ships of this game. It’s a lumbering, poorly armored Swiss Army knife with a sharp blade. It’s many uses makes it adequate for any job; reversely, its many uses only makes it adequate fo any job. However, its true strength is in its ability to help deal with the Bugs...that's when this ship shines, alone and with a fleet.

Though not quite perfect, I would still give this ship:

****1/2 Stars out of Five.

I type with the tongues of my enemies, ascend from the backs of my friends, ignore the plight of innocents, and dance on the graves of my gods

[small][ This Message was edited by: Juxtapose Likes Ponies on 2004-04-07 12:28 ][/small]

[ This Message was edited by: Juxtapose Likes Ponies on 2004-04-07 12:30 ]

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2004-04-07 12:08   
never used it, but nice review

Tbone
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-04-07 13:34   
Not a very smart Battle Cruiser, or Torpedo Cruiser...

Email Tbone
Juxtapose
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-04-07 13:51   
Quote:

On 2004-04-07 13:34, T "I Need Better Sarcasm" Bones wrote:
Not a very smart Battle Cruiser, or Torpedo Cruiser...

...it never occured to you that my skills might be just that impressive?

No...

Probably didn't.

And you know what...that hurts.

O=[=====> Here, you can have your dagger back, you must have forgotten it in my Back!!!

Tbone
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-04-07 14:01   
You actually have to betray someone to stab them in the back...

And daggers are too messy and not instantaneous enough for me. Too much of a chance for noise. I prefer a silenced sniper rifle at 1000+ yards.

Email Tbone
Seraph
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-04-07 14:11   
I still say that the command dread should have a WHI, fair is fair

Axianda The Royal
Fleet Admiral
Terra Squadron

Posted: 2004-04-07 14:25   
Quote:

On 2004-04-07 12:07, Juxtapose Likes Ponies wrote:
The ICC Command Carrier.

The ICC Command Dread is one of the perfectly balanced ships of this game. It’s a lumbering, poorly armored Swiss Army knife with a sharp blade.

once more very nice review the end quote as above is EXACTLY how to call the CC.

and you point that its a wonder against Kluth destroyers is 100% true... as for the dread you might wanna put those 4 Sabot on it when you meet one

I give this review

- Axi

Juxtapose
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-04-07 14:54   
Quote:

On 2004-04-07 14:11, Seraph wrote:
I still say that the command dread should have a WHI, fair is fair

Yes, that's fine Seraph, however that has nothing to do with the ICC Command Carrier, which of course, is what this Post is about. Unless of course you are more confused than you let on and privately believe that the ICC Command Carrier (perhaps you simply mispelled Carrier as Dread?) should also come equipped with a Worm-hole device? If that is the case, sure, why not, the more worm hole devices the better!

I like the way your secret ICC heart beats! (now go scrap Sol like a good ICC agent)

Grimith
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2004-10-14 18:40   
*pulls out all the magicks and the hocus pocus to revive this thread*

Hey, the Command Carrier is my favorite ship, and nothng compares to it... be it UGTO or K'luth.

Thus, I must ressurect this thread to spread the word of the Command Carrier.

I recommend that all new ICC players get a Command Carrier as soon as they can and just play around with it. I assure you that it really is a lot better than the ICC Combat Dreadnought.

Well, now that I've done this, I shall retreat into the shadows...

Go Command Carrier! *dances*

Goto the website of Grimith
Pope
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-10-14 18:41   
Quote:

On 2004-10-14 18:40, Grimith wrote:
I assure you that it really is a lot better than the ICC Combat Dreadnought.

You mean it can mount more than 7 Fluxen?

Grimith
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2004-10-14 18:52   
Wow. Seven flux. That's... really... great...

Especially when one or two can do just as well.

No, the Command Carrier instead has a full weapons arc range with four weapon slots, three slots that can equip CL2Ks, and four fighter slots. The customability of the Command Carrier, combined with the reload that can replenish anything it shoots, proves it to be a lot more valuble than that silly Combat Dreadnought.

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2004-10-14 18:55   
AD/EAD pwn it.

Pope
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-10-14 19:04   
Should have known sarcasm is lost on Grimith

Grimith
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2004-10-14 19:07   
Pshaw. The Assault Dreadnought (I assume you meant this instead of the UGTO Assault Destroyer) relies too heavily on energy, and the Elite Assault Dreadnought is incapable of being as versatile as the Command Carrier. After all, there's only one lower weapon slot on the EAD, so the rest of the slots (heavy weapons) have to be plugged in with torpedoes and beams.

Besides, the Command Carrier definitely fends better against system damaging items than either ship (with the reload). Furthermore, the ship can rebuild a planet all by itself.

Therefore, the Command Carrier > ICC Elite Assault Dreadnought or ICC Assault Dreadnought.

---EDIT: And, yeah... as sarcastic as I am, the sarcasm is generally lost upon me with words. Especially with people I don't care about.

[ This Message was edited by: Grimith on 2004-10-14 19:08 ]

Grimith
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2008-05-19 18:48   
All hail the 1.480 ICC Commander Carrier, ruler of Britannia! The flagship of Admiral Nelson himself.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.024025 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR