No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +5.9 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Sir Oblivion {C?}

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » new type of PD! Chain-Gauss!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
 Author new type of PD! Chain-Gauss!
Pope
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-03-15 09:26   
And until then, we still have this:
http://hydra.is-a-geek.net/ds/MDfleet/

Jim Starluck
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2004-03-15 16:49   
Erm, Jux? Reactive Shields are the ones that only drain energy when damaged. Active Shields drain half as much energy, but do it 24/7.

Email Jim Starluck
Sandals
Fleet Admiral
Agents

Posted: 2004-03-15 16:53   
Are you sure jim?

Antra
Admiral
Agents

Posted: 2004-03-16 13:32   
I don't know how much they drain, but they always drain power. Always have, to my knowledge.

Email Antra
Juxtapose
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-03-16 14:25   
I agree Jim that Active should always drain power, but with recent experience, I would say that Active are behaving very similiar to how Reactive should. At hight speed, my power doesn't start draining on my ship until after I have sustained some damage to my Active Shields, at which point they start rebuilding by using the energy reserves.

Since I never fly with reactives, I don't know how different it would be.

Southpark
Admiral

Posted: 2004-03-16 14:41   
hrm, i wasn't actually suggesting a full-on accurate chain-gun simulation. I more was suggesting a mod of the current pulse laser type deal. Just change the graphic a little(stream of tiny bullets vs the beam) and raise the firing rate, shorten the range.

Just as a variety for weapon type, good for engaging multiple hostile inbound targets (such as defense 3 base missiles) Since chain weapons are very effective at taking out missiles that are flying in close formation (in theory). hit one, scoot over a few inches, hit another. Chain guns are also a kinda last-ditch PD defense, since their range is very short.

Juxtapose
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-03-16 15:14   
Quote:

On 2004-03-16 14:41, Southpark wrote:
Chain guns are also a kinda last-ditch PD defense, since their range is very short.

Small problem here. I know with a pulse beam that takes down two incoming missles, the second one is destroyed soo close to the ship that the splash damage causes shields to flare (if any are left). I do not know what the damage comparisons are to Splash damage from an IT missle compared to being hit with one, but the point is, any close range and you might as well let them hit you.

HOWEVER, I think its pretty cool idea. Give it to the UGTO for their Carriers. 200 rounds that need to be reloaded is pretty neat, especially since it could take 10 to take down a missle.

Gideon
Cadet

Posted: 2004-03-16 15:19   
Area of effect damage falls off linearly over the radius of the area, full at center and zero at outside.

Email Gideon
Trinny
Cadet

Posted: 2004-03-17 04:08   
Really big railgun? I think of the first Halo book!

Some of the biggest ships had this gigantic projectile. I think it was depleted uranium-compared in density. It shook the entire ship and went out extrealy fast, powered by magnets.
They took forever to recharge because of all the energy that had to put transfered to batteries and prepared to be put into the eletro magnets.
It blew giant holes in ships.. I locked those books because they were realistic.

I hope that how it is planned in 1.482 it is slow firing, fast, extremely damaging.
Hopefully it has a minimum range to fire aswell, and isn't in any full hardpoints, only single direction pointing, and much be aimed dead on.

Like the cannonballs of colonial days!

And I'd like to note, in real life projectiles would always be better than lasers for taking done missles for a very.. very.. very.. long time, no matter what time DS is based in. Simply because it only takes 1 bullet to take out a missle, while lasers take a couple of secounds because of the time it takes for heat to build up on the surface of the target. But then we go into this being a fantasy game.

[ This Message was edited by: Trinny on 2004-03-17 04:12 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Page created in 0.016549 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR