No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +6.1 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Sir Oblivion {C?}

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » 1.481 Bombing: 1 word, Horrible
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
 Author 1.481 Bombing: 1 word, Horrible
Strategery
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-03-08 23:02   
Was in the metaverse today with a fleet of 20 some odd ships: this is only in the system I was in. After about of Bickering, we finally got a slightly functioning command structure working, and decided to actually attempt to cap a planet.

We were pretty sucessful in removing the UGTO fleet from Ooi in BD. Now the problem was actually capping the planet. Now, I for 1 don't mind a challenge, but this was next to impossible, at least without bringing in 3 or 4 stations and trannys. We initially had a station and a tranny, but we didn't have enough inf, especially with the enemy consistently adding inf to the planet, either by SY spawning and dropping, or by jumping in and dropping. Sooo, we decided to bomb instead.....

After a few initial attempts to bomb the planet with a stream, we kept adding more and more bombers to see if we could tire out the defense bases, you know, business as usual. We kinda overlooked the change that now makes planets rotate, thus making it impossible to tire out the d-bases on 1 side. Thats ok, I enjoy a challenge. So we now decided to attempt to do a mass stack of bombs on the planet. With the new bombing limitations, 1 or 2 bombers can't amass more than 18 mirv bombs per ship, at least with ICC bomber dreads or destroyers (k'luth can pump out 30 with a clavate though). So, heck, we decided to get 4 bombers (3 dreads and 1 dessy), and 4 supplys to attempt this mass stack bombing. thats 8 ships, 8, attempting to bomb 1 planet. This 1 planet happens to have ugto defense bases( no more than 5 or 6), and 2 shield generators.

Total bomb payout was "supposed" to be 4 x 18 bombs per ship = 72 bombs, plus whatever pcms we threw at it. 1 bomber didn't line up with the dreads properly (the dessy), so it was actually only 54 bombs plus 9 pcms. The pcms were mostly shot down by the planet defenses, except for mine which i fired after the d-bases started firing. I'm not sure how many hit, maybe 2. I covered my bombs with my ships so all 18 of my bombs apparently hit. I can't say in any certainty how many of the other ships bombs hit, but the other pilot died trying, so i'm sure a few....

And the end result you ask: the planetary shields never dropped below 80%.....80%! I was in shock. This whole ordeal went on for well over an hour AFTER we had removed the UGTO from the planets proximity.

So the point: What the heck is the point of bombing when 8 ships working together couldn't get through a few plantary shields. In 1.480, a bomber and supply or a well versed solo bombing UGTO command dread pilot could get through a planet with 6 or 7 shields. Too easy, perhaps. But it's damn near impossible now. Especially with the enemy in the area disrupting operations. I know the SY warping will change tomorrow, so i guess it's be a LITTLE better. You know, you'll only need 40 inf or so to take a planet. thats only 4 stations worth.......

Just give us back the old bombing. It was hardly exploitable. It's the classic best option when there are too many inf to cap it with your fleet, especially if you have no FAs on your team at the time. My final point, is with the amount of ships we had and we STILL didn't cap the darn planet by the time I quit. I don't quit easily, trust me, so we were at it for quite a while. 8 players is more than we were ever able to get in the last days of the old 1.480 metaverse, yet we could still get a small group together and bomb an entire system to dust. It was one of the most fun parts of the game the way it was, and I just wish it was still like that.

Anyone else that agrees with me or has a better idea, please add on at will.

[S.W] Grand Admiral Strategery
ICC Master Battle Strategist (ret.)
Proud Commander of the C.S.S. Ticonderoga

Email Strategery
Bobamelius
Grand Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2004-03-08 23:10   
I haven't even tried bombing since Beta, it's an exercise in futility.

Email Bobamelius
Fatal Command (CO)
Marshal
Fatal Squadron

From: over here in New York noticing some ppl are like canoes.....they need to be paddled.
Posted: 2004-03-08 23:34   
bomberdreads are now the most useless ship in the game....and I excelled at bombing....but after this attempt...not even going voice what i think about the "gameplay improvement",

Email Fatal Command (CO)
AdmiralChaos {FA}
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-03-08 23:37   
Quote:

On 2004-03-08 23:34, plungedjet_01*2RA* wrote:
bomberdreads are now the most useless ship in the game....and I excelled at bombing....but after this attempt...not even going voice what i think about the "gameplay improvement",

I couldnt of said it better myself

Honour is ALL!

Goto the website of AdmiralChaos {FA}
Jlong
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2004-03-08 23:44   
Quote:

On 2004-03-08 23:02, -=~NubMarine~=- wrote:
Was in the metaverse today with a fleet of 20 some odd ships: this is only in the system I was in. After about of Bickering, we finally got a slightly functioning command structure working, and decided to actually attempt to cap a planet.

We were pretty sucessful in removing the UGTO fleet from Ooi in BD. Now the problem was actually capping the planet. Now, I for 1 don't mind a challenge, but this was next to impossible, at least without bringing in 3 or 4 stations and trannys. We initially had a station and a tranny, but we didn't have enough inf, especially with the enemy consistently adding inf to the planet, either by SY spawning and dropping, or by jumping in and dropping. Sooo, we decided to bomb instead.....

After a few initial attempts to bomb the planet with a stream, we kept adding more and more bombers to see if we could tire out the defense bases, you know, business as usual. We kinda overlooked the change that now makes planets rotate, thus making it impossible to tire out the d-bases on 1 side. Thats ok, I enjoy a challenge. So we now decided to attempt to do a mass stack of bombs on the planet. With the new bombing limitations, 1 or 2 bombers can't amass more than 18 mirv bombs per ship, at least with ICC bomber dreads or destroyers (k'luth can pump out 30 with a clavate though). So, heck, we decided to get 4 bombers (3 dreads and 1 dessy), and 4 supplys to attempt this mass stack bombing. thats 8 ships, 8, attempting to bomb 1 planet. This 1 planet happens to have ugto defense bases( no more than 5 or 6), and 2 shield generators.

Total bomb payout was "supposed" to be 4 x 18 bombs per ship = 72 bombs, plus whatever pcms we threw at it. 1 bomber didn't line up with the dreads properly (the dessy), so it was actually only 54 bombs plus 9 pcms. The pcms were mostly shot down by the planet defenses, except for mine which i fired after the d-bases started firing. I'm not sure how many hit, maybe 2. I covered my bombs with my ships so all 18 of my bombs apparently hit. I can't say in any certainty how many of the other ships bombs hit, but the other pilot died trying, so i'm sure a few....

And the end result you ask: the planetary shields never dropped below 80%.....80%! I was in shock. This whole ordeal went on for well over an hour AFTER we had removed the UGTO from the planets proximity.

So the point: What the heck is the point of bombing when 8 ships working together couldn't get through a few plantary shields. In 1.480, a bomber and supply or a well versed solo bombing UGTO command dread pilot could get through a planet with 6 or 7 shields. Too easy, perhaps. But it's damn near impossible now. Especially with the enemy in the area disrupting operations. I know the SY warping will change tomorrow, so i guess it's be a LITTLE better. You know, you'll only need 40 inf or so to take a planet. thats only 4 stations worth.......

Just give us back the old bombing. It was hardly exploitable. It's the classic best option when there are too many inf to cap it with your fleet, especially if you have no FAs on your team at the time. My final point, is with the amount of ships we had and we STILL didn't cap the darn planet by the time I quit. I don't quit easily, trust me, so we were at it for quite a while. 8 players is more than we were ever able to get in the last days of the old 1.480 metaverse, yet we could still get a small group together and bomb an entire system to dust. It was one of the most fun parts of the game the way it was, and I just wish it was still like that.

Im sorry that happened, I tweaked that planet prior to the UGTO taking it. I didnt know I would be make it impossible for our own fleet to re-capture a planet back. Thats why I hardly ever tweak a planet up or build at all. I normaly make it impossible for our team to recap, but the enemy team takes it in no sweat.

At first it was built poorly and only had 24 structures, easy pickings for the UGTO to reshape it and make it like a fortress. I just reorganized it to protect the surface and structures from being bombed or landed on. Sorry team!

[ This Message was edited by: Jlong on 2004-03-08 23:48 ]

Tbone
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-03-09 00:43   
Dude, you really didn't need to quote the entire thing.

Bombing is an exercise in luck. Mostly bad though. ICC planets w/ shields = impossible to bomb. And if the troops on the surface are on defend, its next to impossible to take with troops, especially with such a small planet like Ooi.

Fleet Admiral Tbone
Commander of the NSS Red Lobster

[ This Message was edited by: Tbone [NSS Pandora's Box] on 2004-03-09 00:45 ]

Email Tbone
Flyer
Admiral

Posted: 2004-03-09 01:07   
yep, a 2 shield planet was a bit harder in 1.480, in 1.481 a 2 shield planet is next to impossible. Bombing is very difficult now because you can take only 2 or 3 structures at 1 time(not nough to cripple a planet)
I think it is even worse for kluth because there clavate can't shield as well as a dread.
I would sure like the old system back.

Email Flyer
*Defiant*
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2004-03-09 01:14   
yup kluth cant bomb anything right with 1.481
biobombs kill inf but no other things
will be xtreme hard 4 new ppl 2 get a bomberbadge now

NightDragon
Cadet

Posted: 2004-03-09 03:32   
the bomber dread lives up to its name, if you want to bomb it back the stone age, you can with the bomber dread, just let lose the 3 pcms bye bye planet

other than that, yea bombing is really hard, its now close in bombing with a supply and by far the UGTO has it over ICC on this one unless you want to flaten the planet =p

Wyke {ThorsHammer}
Cadet

Posted: 2004-03-09 05:19   
Quote:

On 2004-03-08 23:02, -=~NubMarine~=- wrote:

...snipped...

Im a pretty good bomber but I have yet to figure out a bombing stategy that works against ICC shields and def bases. I would agree its proved impossible.

Against Kluth or UGTO defenses it remains a viable option.

Against ICC bombing is simply not a option. This is one of the factors that has inhibited the UGTO ability to counter attack the ICC gains.

The only way to cap ICC planets is a massive infrantry invasion which overwhelms the defending troops and UGTO have yet to acheive the level of organisation to acheive this.

[ This Message was edited by: Wyke on 2004-03-09 05:44 ]

Email Wyke {ThorsHammer}
Piotr-san
Chief Marshal
*Renegade Space Marines*

Posted: 2004-03-09 08:40   
Yeah i agree with it.
Ps:It wasnt a sig test.Really ;P

Gideon
Cadet

Posted: 2004-03-09 09:41   
Actually, the dev team greatly enjoyed the old bombing system. It required skill, teamwork, and timing. The servers, however, did not enjoy the old bombing system. We had to implement strict limitations on bomb numbers because of this.

I do have to agree that planets with ICC defenses (shields and pulse bases) are exceptionally difficult to bomb. I believe v1.482 will provide us with the opportunity to address this and other issues, from the ground up.

Till then, have you tried setting troops to "Raze" and dropping them on key structures such as power plants, domes, and defense bases?

Email Gideon
Juxtapose
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-03-09 09:45   
I was under the impression that once you drop your inf, their orders revert back to attack. Once on the planet, it is tough to click back on all of them and order 'Raze' when most are already two diamonds away from what you dropped them on.

Ashatwork
Cadet

Posted: 2004-03-09 10:16   
Even accounting for 2 ships that blocked waves of my bombs at critical times... I in a bomber cruiser managed to take an ICC planet with 100% shields down to 2% shields before our stations retreated.

I took 3 or 4 short runs to get it to 2% (3 runs were stopped because someone was sitting infront of the planitary infantry)...

Unfortunately someone jumped infront of me during the 2% bombing run and ate the bombs.

Bombing is MUCH easier now.

The Monty
Cadet

Posted: 2004-03-09 10:25   
Did you guys think about bringing a bit of ECM on the bomber dreads? Def bases have a harder time shooting the bombs.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Page created in 0.025834 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR