No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +19.5 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Modding is a pain now
 Author Modding is a pain now
AdmBito
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-03-04 13:18   
I'm not sure if I am the only one who has this problem, or if others do too, but I feel I should share my feelings on modding, following the recent trend started by Darksworde.

First of all, why can you not see what a planet is producing, or has at a starport until you are in orbit and click on the starport? This is very inconvient. Some may say it isn't realistic to be able to know what a planet has until you are there, blah blah....how hard is it to pick up the phone and call ahead? To tell you the truth, I believe it would help the flow of the game if you didn't have to visit a planet to tell what each planet had in stock.

Another thing, I don't seem to be able to sell parts when in the Planet/F3 screen and clicked on the starport. You used to be able to in the last version, and it was very simple to sell old parts and buy replacements. Now you must go through the painstaking process of removal (more on that), then find the starport if it isn't right in front of you, then get out of the F3 screen, and sell you parts, then buy them, then go through the painstaking process of installing them.

Now, removal is a pain the rear. Why must a part be turned off to be removed? To prevent hotswapping in battle? That added to the randomness of battle, but ok, its removed. Now, clicking on a part, you still don't know which ones you must turn off, or if you can just swap it while the other part is still installed (can you still do that?), or any number of things.

Anywho, the entire point of the rambling nonsense is to ask, no beg, to get modding back to the way it once was. I'd sacrfice a bit of lag for it, its a pain in the booty to do it now, and takes quite a good bit of time.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm whining,
Bito

Puppies gotta die, too.

Eagleranger
Admiral

Posted: 2004-03-04 13:41   
LMAO how many parts do you take off your car with out shutting it off or how many times do you work on anything powered up!!!! please im not bashing your sir im making a point to the idea of more realistic feel of having to shut down equipment you want to change

how long do you think a engineer will live trying to replace the engine of a starship or shield for that matter if it got power running thru it lol you must really hate your engineer

but seriously i know its different and a little annoying at first , you will get use to it by the time you modd two ships just try to look at the reality side of it

TheEvilGriffin
Cadet

Posted: 2004-03-04 13:43   
Quote:

First of all, why can you not see what a planet is producing, or has at a starport until you are in orbit and click on the starport? This is very inconvient. Some may say it isn't realistic to be able to know what a planet has until you are there, blah blah....how hard is it to pick up the phone and call ahead? To tell you the truth, I believe it would help the flow of the game if you didn't have to visit a planet to tell what each planet had in stock.

I do agree with this, would be nice to have this ability back, but i can live without it.
Quote:

Another thing, I don't seem to be able to sell parts when in the Planet/F3 screen and clicked on the starport. You used to be able to in the last version, and it was very simple to sell old parts and buy replacements. Now you must go through the painstaking process of removal (more on that), then find the starport if it isn't right in front of you, then get out of the F3 screen, and sell you parts, then buy them, then go through the painstaking process of installing them.

Give me a break is it that hard to orbit planet hit f3 find the starport f3 again and click on goods in cargo? i think not
Quote:

Now, removal is a pain the rear. Why must a part be turned off to be removed? To prevent hotswapping in battle? That added to the randomness of battle, but ok, its removed. Now, clicking on a part, you still don't know which ones you must turn off, or if you can just swap it while the other part is still installed (can you still do that?), or any number of things.

Again, give me a break. If i was going to change a motor out in a car would it still be running? i dont think so Take engines for example, its not hard to click on the engines and then right click the new engines in cargo and then click on the engine you want to swap out in the info box on the right. 3 step process big deal.

Email TheEvilGriffin
Sky
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2004-03-04 14:22   
CTRL + P = select the closest starport
CTRL + Y = select the closest shipyard...

theres plenty of new hotkeys, just look around ...

Cheers

Sky.

Sky.

Sky
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2004-03-04 14:22   
[EDIT] *bump*

[ This Message was edited by: Sky on 2004-03-04 14:23 ]

Sky.

Barthezzz
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-03-05 01:55   
Quote:

On 2004-03-04 13:18, AdmBito{NiB} wrote:

I fully Agree.
Quote:

On 2004-03-04 13:18, AdmBito{NiB} wrote:

I have to say that having to rotate around the damn planet to find the Starport everytime is damn annoying.
Especially if your flying a small ship like a destroyer and you cant buy a lot of parts at once.

Having to turn off your parts before you replace them is a good idea though, so yeah you might have to click on your drives once or disable your shields but its still pretty cool.

I didnt know about the new hotkey though, thats pretty handy

[ This Message was edited by: Barthezzz on 2004-03-05 01:55 ]

Goto the website of Barthezzz
Axianda The Royal
Fleet Admiral
Terra Squadron

Posted: 2004-03-05 05:38   
Quote:

On 2004-03-04 14:22, Sky wrote:
CTRL + P = select the closest starport
CTRL + Y = select the closest shipyard...

theres plenty of new hotkeys, just look around ...

Cheers

Sky.

now thats good advice

- Axi

Sky
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2004-03-05 06:10   
WeEeEh ! i've been quoted for the FIRST time ! woot !

thanks axi

Cheers

Sky.

Sky.

MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2004-03-05 07:30   
Quote:
Some may say it isn't realistic to be able to know what a planet has until you are there

Yeah, but I figure if we can hear chit-chat from far across the galaxy instantly, then it's definitely realistic to see what's at a starport no matter where it is.

I don't wanna have to travel to the planet to see what it has! And I shouldn't have to. I can see every building there is there no matter where I am, I can command the factories to build parts, but I can't see what the starport has?

Page created in 0.014987 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR