No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.1 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Infantry
 Author Infantry
Sven
Cadet
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-02-26 00:32   
Heres an Idea: You could have Marines... invasion infantry.. to be used againt planets, but you could only end a few of them in because they are trained to invade and conquer so they could easily waste a unit of infantry, mind you only a few before they are overwhelmed. Regular infantry just defend the planet and are stationed there to keep it under the factions control.. Assault Infantry you could call them.

Bleh..

Sven Viking: Dynamiting himself to pieces since 5/30/2003!

Sandals
Fleet Admiral
Agents

Posted: 2004-02-26 01:20   
more unit varieties are planned. Beta already has Infantry (2 minute build time, 15 metals "100" effectiveness) and Heavy Infantry (10 tech, 4 minute build time, 150? metals, "150" effectiveness) .

[ This Message was edited by: Sandalpocalypse on 2004-02-26 01:31 ]

Tbone
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-02-26 11:11   
Heavy Infantry in beta are simply "better"

Email Tbone
Mephesto_Odium {Sirius 1 Jockey}
Cadet

Posted: 2004-02-26 11:30   
Why not make def stations injure enemy ground troops that are in proximity to them. I'm sure a def station would have pillboxes and other sorts of nasty suprises entrenched around it.

The Monty
Cadet

Posted: 2004-02-26 11:43   
Quote:

On 2004-02-26 11:30, Mephesto_Odium {Sirius 1 Jockey} wrote:
Why not make def stations injure enemy ground troops that are in proximity to them. I'm sure a def station would have pillboxes and other sorts of nasty suprises entrenched around it.

Ive always liked the idea of anti inf buildings.

Barthezzz
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-02-26 11:58   
I do not like the idea of ground based anti inf stuff.

Why not? Simple: Capturing a planet is going to be hard.
- Defense bases are gonna be upgraded, expect people to die before they reach orbit.

- max inf levels are going up.
You will need 9 Cruisers just to be able to transport enough inf to capture a planet assuming they all make it down to the surface!

- Dropping inf is going to be harder.
They can now be shot down so dont expect all of your inf to make it down.

- The amount of inf a fleet can transport is going to be limited (Station only carries 12 inf now).
That means youll need 3 Stations for a single planet...
Or 6 Dreadnoughts...
Or 9 Cruisers...
Or 11 destroyers...

A lot of Kluth Fly destroyers, were gonna have one hell of a time capturing a planet with the new beta.
So dont you even thnk about adding ground based defenses!

Goto the website of Barthezzz
Tael
2nd Rear Admiral
Palestar

Posted: 2004-02-26 13:01   
Quote:

On 2004-02-26 11:58, Barthezzz wrote:
I do not like the idea of ground based anti inf stuff.

Why not? Simple: Capturing a planet is going to be hard.
- Defense bases are gonna be upgraded, expect people to die before they reach orbit.

- max inf levels are going up.
You will need 9 Cruisers just to be able to transport enough inf to capture a planet assuming they all make it down to the surface!

- Dropping inf is going to be harder.
They can now be shot down so dont expect all of your inf to make it down.

- The amount of inf a fleet can transport is going to be limited (Station only carries 12 inf now).
That means youll need 3 Stations for a single planet...
Or 6 Dreadnoughts...
Or 9 Cruisers...
Or 11 destroyers...

A lot of Kluth Fly destroyers, were gonna have one hell of a time capturing a planet with the new beta.
So dont you even thnk about adding ground based defenses!

Duh, its not suppose to be easy or something a single person can do, thats why you need a fleet to support the offensive to take the planet...

Email Tael
Therax Anrak
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2004-02-26 13:19   
That and you think people might actually fly *gasp* transports to transport infantry? Greater utility for the smaller ship classes is a good thing for DS diversity. And in beta the few Kluth actively trying to capture seem to be doing just fine with just 2 transports, and this is against ICC planets, with supposedly the toughest defenses.

Lupino
Cadet

Posted: 2004-02-28 11:42   
There was a similar idea posted a long time ago, and I agree that a mix of different infantry would be great.

My own suggestions ^_^

Army Troops- Current DS troops, a base for other troops' abilites, equal amount of attack & defense

Shock Troops- Trained in the art of offense, recieve a bonus whenever invading a planet, but are ill-suited to defending territory

Fortress Troops- Trained to hold ground, recieve a bonus whenever defending a planet from invasion, the polar opposite of Shock Troops

Marines- Same abilities as Army, except when boarding enemy ships do more damage to systems/better at protecting friendly ships from boarding

Engineering Corps- Slightly less abilities compared to Army troops, except do extra damage to buildings, and help repair damaged friendly buildings faster

Armored Divisions- Mechanized units, move faster compared to other troops

Marines and Shock Troops could be combined into the same thing, or just rename Heavy Inf as Shock Troops and give the Marines the + attack/ - defense

Barthezzz
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-02-28 13:32   
Quote:

On 2004-02-26 13:01, Tael wrote:
Duh, its not suppose to be easy or something a single person can do, thats why you need a fleet to support the offensive to take the planet...

And where exactly is this fleet currently hiding?
Or will it magicly appear once patch is released?

Goto the website of Barthezzz
Lupino
Cadet

Posted: 2004-02-28 14:25   
Quote:

On 2004-02-28 13:32, Barthezzz wrote:
Quote:

On 2004-02-26 13:01, Tael wrote:

And where exactly is this fleet currently hiding?
Or will it magicly appear once patch is released?

A little pixie dust can do wonders....

Once the scenario servers are axed activity in the MV should go up IMO. I'm totally against a single bomber/station/ect. being able to capture an entire planet by itself. It's a planet! Would you invade Iraq with a single destroyer and its Marine compliment?

Admiral DarkSpacer826
Cadet

Posted: 2004-02-28 14:33   
Remember this is Iraq you are talking about.

Email Admiral DarkSpacer826
MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2004-02-28 15:54   
Quote:
And in beta the few Kluth actively trying to capture seem to be doing just fine with just 2 transports, and this is against ICC planets, with supposedly the toughest defenses.

Therax we are using the method of getting really really close to the surface of the planet and dropping from there so defense bases don't shoot the infantry down.

Basically, we want it known that this is an enormous problem! You will be seeing groups of 4-5 Kluth transports easily capping planets when it goes live because of this.

Oh, and I think there's other, less 'kosher' methods being deployed. I suspect it has to do with mirv bombs and the acqusition of mirv bombs (Kluth can't build them, how are they getting them then hmm?), and other even more dastardly methods. Let's just say I was privy to an offer of sabotage from the enemy to cap a planet.

A Troll =SSC=
Cadet

Posted: 2004-02-28 18:30   
Shock Troops and Marines should be the offensive variety units that excel on the offensive.Shock Troop units shouldn't be good at defense however they can and will mount brutal counterattacks on invading units and most likely ruin the enemies day (unless of course they are dealing with regular Marine and Marine Force Recon units)

Marine units excel at capturing ships and repelling boarders in addition to invading planets.However since they are The Few and the Proud,they have less men than all the other types of units but their excellent training and weaponry make up for that.

Marine Force Recon units are special ops troops that are even better than Marine units but are even fewer in number.They and regular marines,are the only units that can mess up a Shock troop counterstrike (shock troops units can cause a enemy counterstrike to fail and cause enemy to backoff while marines pursue the enemy and annhilate them all in one attack.)

Marine Force Recon units can sabotage enemy supplies,eliminate an enemy units commander to greatly lower the troops morale and cause them to fight harder (some elite units may fight even harder to avenge their commander's death,u have been warned.),and generally cause trouble in the enemy base camp.

Thats all i gotta say about this subject.

Email A Troll =SSC=
TheEvilGriffin
Cadet

Posted: 2004-02-28 19:05   
Bah
Off topic

I was in beta with a few other, me in Bomber dread, 1 supply, 1 combat support, and 1 transport. Took 2 systems.

WOW, thats a huge fleet huh?

Email TheEvilGriffin
Page created in 0.033659 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR