No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 +11.9 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Beta Testing Discussion » » FAUSTUS! - Big Beta Problem...
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
 Author FAUSTUS! - Big Beta Problem...
Gideon
Cadet

Posted: 2004-02-21 23:00   
Quote:

On 2004-02-21 21:32, Faustus wrote:
Gideon, faction restrictions are disabled for technical reasons currently.. basically, it's always been broken in the UGTO/ICC aliance maps because of the design.

Like we discussed the other day about opening up all devices to all factions, I'm still toying with that ideal... as I'm still leaning towards that it may in fact may make things more fun for everyone, and thats after all the entire point of playing a game

I was planning to discuss this more on monday at the dev meeting...

-Richard

What I was saying is, the faction restriction seems to be in place, and functioning correctly. If it's supposed to be broken, then it's being broken is...erm...broken.

[ This Message was edited by: Gideon on 2004-02-21 23:00 ]

Email Gideon
kenetiks
Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2004-02-21 23:04   
F, please don't unrestrict everything.

You can well leave somethings unrestricted. drives and weapoms specific exchange I think would be ok like drive for drive or beam for beam.

I remember this from before when (can't remember name) was flying around in a ead with all cl2k's one shot taking out cruisers and crippleing other dreads. Of course this may not be the case now and I may have missed the subject intirely.

But keep up the hard work F. We love ya.

Email kenetiks   Goto the website of kenetiks
Sandals
Fleet Admiral
Agents

Posted: 2004-02-21 23:27   
I believe he'd be talking about un-faction restricting things, within their slot class. So you could put a FLux Beam on an ICC vessel. Of course, the downside is that we'd have cloaking autorepairing fluxdreads with pulse shields. I really don't think that'd be fun. :/

MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2004-02-21 23:43   
Yeah problem is Kluth don't have many modding choices. They have few normal weapon slots, few specials (1 is all there is on some ships, 0 on others). Heavy weapons are restricted to just torps, mines, or IT's so no modding there, and the only medium beam is the disruptor. Compare that to the massive amount of battle dreads we'd be seeing The only thing Kluth really modded was their disruptors, so this patch effectively made them all unmoddable stock ships. We can't even build our own AM mines.

In that old system where everything was available, normal weapon slots were like gold. Flux waves IMO should be heavy weapons. Cuz let's face it, nobody modded heavy weapon slots unless they wanted a mine layer, and the power gain from replacing some puny cannons was amazing. The REAL powerful weapons, like flux waves, should be replacing other powerful weapons like torps or IT missiles.

I can see making everything available to everyone a problem. Do that in 1.482 when the ships get redesigned and no one ship has too much potential.

[ This Message was edited by: MrSparkle on 2004-02-21 23:47 ]

Sopwith Camel
Grand Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2004-02-21 23:52   
Quote:

On 2004-02-21 23:27, Sandalpocalypse wrote:

Of course, the downside is that we'd have cloaking autorepairing fluxdreads with pulse shields. I really don't think that'd be fun. :/

It'd be fun for someone flying that ship

But seriously, I'm sure that Faustus doesn't mean that pre-1.481 faction-specific devices (flux, cloak, pulse shields) would be opened up to all factions, but just that humans would be able to reap the benefits of anti-matter technology.

Fleet Commander, Galactic Navy

Malduc{-GTN-}
Cadet

Posted: 2004-02-22 01:22   
Quote:

On 2004-02-21 23:43, MrSparkle wrote:
The REAL powerful weapons, like flux waves, should be replacing other powerful weapons like torps or IT missiles.

Absolutely the most rediculous thing ever. We all know that the only thing that makes flux waves powerful is modding several on one ship, which is being fixed soon. One flux wave does little actual damage, and only does system damage when your armor/shields are null.

I suggest you take a look at the drawbacks and power of an actual flux wave. http://www.format-service.de/DSItems.htm
Charge and energy are enormous, and the actual damage is less than a blast from a CL1000 at minimum range. Do some homework my friend.

Malduc

Honor Is All

Malduc{-GTN-}
Cadet

Posted: 2004-02-22 01:53   
Quote:

Like we discussed the other day about opening up all devices to all factions, I'm still toying with that ideal... as I'm still leaning towards that it may in fact may make things more fun for everyone, and thats after all the entire point of playing a game

-Richard

Faustus, I REALLY think that's a bad idea. You think this will create fun? It won't, only the most experienced players, who understand how everything works in the game, and have credits to expensively mod a ship with no limits will find this fun. It is the "Rich get richer and poor get poorer" scenario. The "rich" being the veteran players and the "poor" being new comers, or people still learning the game.

Imagine this, new player, trying to get badges and work on game control and how to play, is raped repeatedly by say, a cloaked EAD, a flux dread, a CL2k ganglia with 4 flux waves... this list of deadly ships could go on. This isn't how the game play is supposed to be. People die too quickly already. If you implement unrestricted modding, only the people that enjoy being cheap and preying on the small and helpless will be left playing DS.

Those people who respect fairplay and new players will get tired of this and leave. Do you think DS has been dead lately? Unrestricted modding will, yes, increase players at first. But when the hype is gone, I believe more players will leave do to frustration of the "one hit cripples/kills" that everyone so loves now and that is killing gameplay (ie - 7 flux battle dreads, any ship with mass mines, and destroyers with more firepower than dreads).

Take this post as you will Faustus, but the community you've created can't be ignored entirely. Rumors, that I hope are not true, of things to come that are different from what we've been told to expect are flying. I urge you to seek out veteran players from every faction to see what would be most needed fixes on each of the current 3 factions. Admins play ICC and kluth, and only the Dev team plays UGTO. None of you play often enough to see the issues we repeatedly bring up to be fixed. Which is why they continue to remain unfixed I ask how you know what would be the best way to fix or balance a faction without knowing just how they work in actual field environments?

Get some ideas from your community Faustus, I think some of what we have to offer would be for the good of saving this game.

Thanks for the ear, hopefully things go as well as we hope they will.

Malduc

Honor Is All

Sandals
Fleet Admiral
Agents

Posted: 2004-02-22 03:26   
I nominate LobbyGhost for the Balance Council. He is the most active player in DS with the most time logged on. Although his faction is indeterminate.

To be serious, tho...

I dunno if that's a good idea. There's enough active players contributing in [Dev] and [Admin], as well as development-involved players (Demorian) already.

Barthezzz
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-02-22 04:24   
Quote:

Gideon, faction restrictions are disabled for technical reasons currently.. basically, it's always been broken in the UGTO/ICC aliance maps because of the design.

-Richard

Hell yeah i wanna fly my Flux Gangila again baby!
w00t w00t!

Goto the website of Barthezzz
Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2004-02-22 04:42   
Quote:
I urge you to seek out veteran players from every faction to see what would be most needed fixes on each of the current 3 factions.

The Dev team has members who can represent their factions fairly well, but we also recognize our limitations and do, in fact, contract out with experienced players for additional insights and help with balance and other important development work.

So, actually, we're already on top of that..

Quote:
w00t w00t!

And Barthezzz, you're fired. We most certainly do not want unrestricted faction tech. That would remove - in my eyes - basically all fun from the game.

Fight unrestricted tech!

Email Shigernafy
Barthezzz
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-02-22 05:46   
Quote:

On 2004-02-22 04:42, Shigernafy wrote:
Quote:
w00t w00t!

And Barthezzz, you're fired. We most certainly do not want unrestricted faction tech. That would remove - in my eyes - basically all fun from the game.

Fight unrestricted tech!

I was kinda being sarcastic
Unrestricted tech is bad, ELF EADS, Flux Gangilas, ADs with 4 flux waves 2 ELF beams and 2 Flux beams, etc.
Ships in Ds get blown away fast enough as it is, this will only cause the humans to die faster.

So can i please have my job back? :/

[ This Message was edited by: Barthezzz on 2004-02-22 05:47 ]

Goto the website of Barthezzz
Sandals
Fleet Admiral
Agents

Posted: 2004-02-22 06:09   
I thought your job was Official DS Forum Post Count Inflator

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2004-02-22 06:32   
I agree with Malduc

if the game is opened up for all factions in terms of tech, it will be horedous....the kluth would own the MV, as it is they are overpowered...Kluth with Shields, CL2k's, FLUX...it just gets stupid mor and more you think about it.....

Yes certain tech should be available like it is now, IE beams for UGTO and ICC, and Drives for all, but the major draw back for allowing all tech to be available is the kluth...they would be FAR FAR FAR overpowered....

Bring back the days when kluth had no armour...

NightDragon
Cadet

Posted: 2004-02-22 07:10   
i woudl like to sudgest that you put in a way so you can cut off MV wide chat, as it is when alot of people where doing different things int he MV in very far away systems you really didnt know who was doing what where

i guess it would be not that hard to do, it would be like a yell but for your side only and can cover the whole system

anyways looks great so far to bad im limited to most of the non badge stuff =/ oh well

Sandals
Fleet Admiral
Agents

Posted: 2004-02-22 07:13   
I don't think MV wide chat necessarily needs to be cut out, but perhaps there needs to be a faction specific version of Yell with perhaps 200,000 GU range?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Page created in 0.020651 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR