No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 +8.8 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Beta Testing Discussion » » Inf droping
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
 Author Inf droping
Gideon
Cadet

Posted: 2004-02-14 20:14   
Quote:

On 2004-02-14 13:48, Faustus wrote:
I'm wondering, if instead of an arming distance like bombs, we change the system for bombs and infantry dropping to be the same...

Guess, I could just not allow bombs to be launched or infantry unloaded if within a certain distance of a planet, alteast then you wouldn't be wasting your bombs by hitting before they get armed. But that just seems like a partial solution to me...

Better ideals wanted... ?

That works for me (can represent the distance required to orient your drop pod to the atmosphere, otherwise you would crash into it), but only under one condition:

The infantry (or other cargo for that matter) need to have no arming distance for ship to ship transfers. We need to be able to drop inf on ships from as close a distance as nessesary,

However, what is at the root of this issue?

Several things, like:

• Planet defenses are ineffective at short range.

• Death in a ship creates a penalty so low that it can be ignored indefinatly.

• Drop pods being dropped all at once. They should be a certain number at a time (say, four per minute) to represent prep time.

Really, this is just a symptom of much deeper and more important problems. We should strive to address the underlying issues, rather than the symptoms, since the underlying problems result in other issues.

One small step for man. One giant leap, for mankind.

We leave as we came and, God willing, as we shall return, with peace
and hope for all mankind.

[ This Message was edited by: Gideon on 2004-02-14 20:17 ]

Email Gideon
Wyke {ThorsHammer}
Cadet

Posted: 2004-02-14 20:25   
Quote:

On 2004-02-14 19:43, Grimith *The Demo Master* wrote:

~You don't find anything odd about torps shooting out of defense bases?

Well I've always found it odd that all weapons dont do at least *some* damage to ground targets.

Email Wyke {ThorsHammer}
Sky
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2004-02-15 10:01   
Huuuu ... Why not make a weapon that actually ... Shoot inf pods ? Like fighters, infs dont pop out of the ships just like that, we need a divice for dropping infantery on planets

It would have a different output and reload time depending on the ship class, ie station and trannies would have the greater ouput but a slow reload time and frigates a small output (1 pod at a time ) but a fast reload time... Scouts for their part shouldnt be able to carry troops ...

Here was my thought, what do you think of this?

Cheers

Sky

[ This Message was edited by: Sky on 2004-02-15 10:05 ]

Sky.

Sandals
Fleet Admiral
Agents

Posted: 2004-02-15 16:12   
Sky, I think the best mechanism for that would be a shuttle that would replace a fighter slot.

*edited for Axianda*

A more extensive thread about shuttles in the suggestions archive.

[ This Message was edited by: Sandalpocalypse on 2004-02-15 16:31 ]

Axianda The Royal
Fleet Admiral
Terra Squadron

Posted: 2004-02-15 16:17   
Quote:

On 2004-02-15 16:12, Sandalpocalypse wrote:
Sky, I think the best mechanism for that would be a shuttle that would replace a fighter slot.

/me waits for some of Gideons wisdom...

- Axi

Suldun
Cadet

Posted: 2004-02-15 17:13   
I think the best way to cure this problem is to make it so you HAVE to be in orbit to bomb, or drop inf. I mean think about how fast a "hot" drop would be, your inf would burn up on entry,....or be pancaked on the ground. Droping inf from range is just signing a death warant for your ground troops, "ok marines,...were gonna drop ya about 250gu's from yer target,....many of you will not be comming home,.....well probably none,....but hey ya gave it a hell of a try" (ship promptly taken over by pissed of marines,.....who then drop capt. and crew on planet,.....and then realize they dont know how to get home,....
If this game is gonna be more about population's,...or more about the people,.....then you should think about all of your people, ships crews, marines, the people who work in all those buildings you just scrapped. BIO bombing should be concidered a very serious crime,...the people who do it should have a price on there heads.
1 more thing,....why is there no control of these fleets,....even an admiral has to answer to someone. I see no sign of a governing body in any faction. There really is nothing tying anyone to any team. What if there was an AI president,..or council or something to answer too,...What about some kind of system that would tell you when you login to MV what systems were in trouble, where a fleet muster might be for an offensive,wether you are in "that"click or not. These planets dont have a personality, so its hard to get attached to them,.....give us a reason to fight,...not just a place to do it.
kinda long winded,....sorry about that, just a few thoughts i had,....

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Page created in 0.011424 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR