No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 +13.4 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Beta Testing Discussion » » Interface Changes / Trade Routes...
 Author Interface Changes / Trade Routes...
Faustus
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2004-02-10 16:49   
Firstly, I've made some interface changes...

- Cleaned up the planets screen (F3). Structures and Units are now displayed by default. The build/factory queues are now only available by clicking on the structure you want to control. I know some people are going to complain about this, but quite frankly I ran out of screen space for an 800x600 display. Trade route interface has been removed as well. (see below)

- Moved the ships status display (energy, signature) back down the the lower left part of the screen. If you remember this is where is use to be located, and it works much better in that location.

- Trade routes are now fully automatic, based on supply/demand for resources on the planets. Frankly, I was not happy with the interface for trade routes, just too damn complex to use... until I have time to make a drag-drop interface for trade routes they will stay automatic.

-Richard

Goto the website of Faustus
TAZ
Cadet

Posted: 2004-02-10 17:14   
AAAhhhh!!! Automatic shipping.....I love the idea! No more n00bs messing up the supply routes and leaving you with no resources when you need them most....ie....when your home system is under attack!!

Email TAZ   Goto the website of TAZ
Hitman23
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-02-10 17:21   
Damn!! I just figured out the new interface and you scrap it!! j/k

I just hope that they deliver them to the planets in a timely fashion.

Email Hitman23
Doran
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2004-02-10 17:57   
Quote:

On 2004-02-10 16:49, Faustus wrote:
- Moved the ships status display (energy, signature) back down the the lower left part of the screen. If you remember this is where is use to be located, and it works much better in that location.

think theres enough stuff down there as is, what with systems, heading, speed, cargo, repair, and all
stuff thats there now easily takes up just as much space as the ship status stuff, especialy for the larger ships with lots of systems

maybe put em on movables like the chat and profile windoes so users can slide em around to where they like?

Vinco
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2004-02-10 17:57   
I have a request: Allow a "priority" setting for planets. That way players can prepare high-production planets in advance, instead of waiting on automated shipments alone. The priority setting would ensure that the high-priority planets received a greater portion of resources than other planets.

Vinco

In Another Place

Honor is all.

Bigwolfe
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-02-10 21:03   
what about metal, to a planet that isn't build, but only has a hub and starport, will that mean that important urd from a planet could be shiped to this nobody planet like in FA or Halos?

Email Bigwolfe
Raiders
Cadet

Posted: 2004-02-10 21:11   
Completly agree with Vinco some sort of priority settings are needed for mod planets and shipyards at least.

Death is just the first step along an unknown path

Email Raiders
philll
Admiral

Posted: 2004-02-10 21:23   
faustus maybe u could add a fighter vs fighter option so that u can send fighters of ur own to attack enemy fighters

Tbone
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-02-10 22:26   
Phill, did you even read what this post was about?

Secondly, I suggest you browse around, as that question has alreayd been answered.

Thirdly, yes, please a priority system.

Email Tbone
Rocki
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-02-11 03:13   
May I ask how the priority of a planet is determined? Based on population, tech level, structures?

If you ask me, a planet without factories or shipyards (so a normal planet) should ship all resources to mod planets, keeping a few thousand metals, few hundred urdanium, hypermatter and darkmatter (if tech level allows solars/dictor/shield) for themselves. Ditto with mod planets (with factory[ies], no shipyard) but larger amounts, and keep all resources. Any excess resources are then sent to the shipyards planet(s).

Downside of this may be that shipyard planets get their resources fairly late in a scenario game, but the good side is that in MV all mod planets are stocked, and the rest piles up at the shipyard. And since this patch is meant to encourage MV play, this isnt a bad idea if you ask me

My € 0.02

Beast
Cadet
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-02-11 05:11   
I actualy dont want the priority planet feature it would help get the player base more involved with actual trading of goods {Actually running there factions economy} while defending/invading as well.

wasnt that what the DEV had in mind in the first place???

Email Beast
Barthezzz
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-02-11 05:20   
Quote:

On 2004-02-11 05:11, The Beast wrote:
I actualy dont want the priority planet feature it would help get the player base more involved with actual trading of goods {Actually running there factions economy} while defending/invading as well.

wasnt that what the DEV had in mind in the first place???

I agree. However! Resource prices would have to be changed so people could actually make profit out of this.
Theres no point in forcing people to lose money just so they can get a ship

Goto the website of Barthezzz
AtomicChuck
Admiral

Posted: 2004-02-11 07:12   
Interesting ideas. On that note, I finally cast my vote. Unsure if its feasible to implement, but what about a combination of the 2.

Premise: Obviously, mod planets and shipyards have a higher resource demand. Say for instance we establish resource priority levels for planets based on the facilities for production on said planet.

Each factory establishes a priority level of 5. And each shipyard, a level of 50. The total resource priority level for a planet is the sum of its production priority levels.
Ex. Planet with 4 factories has a res. priority level of 20. Planet with shipyard and 4 factories, RP level 70.

Now, say the automated system will only cover say 50% of demand, so in order to maintain 100% production capacity, players will be "encouraged" by the system to make transport runs for raw materials to their production planets.

Herein, lies the dilema to make tranny runs appealing. Simple, use the RP level of the receiving planet as a bonus modifier for the sale of goods.
Ex. Player has resources for sale, RP level 20 planet gives a 20% bonus to prices received. RP level 70, 70% bonus.

Granted, everyone will sell to the larger bonus planets, for the most creds.
Until some level of resources are reached, based on the RP level for the planet, at which time bonuses are no longer paid.
Ex. Resources cap levels for planets could be set to (RP level x 5000) so that when the cap level is met, bonus will no longer be paid out for that resource.

The quantity of goods delivered by the automated system could be adjusted once actual involvement level of people running trade routes is established, as could be the cap levels.

I believe this would be an interesting compromise of the 2 ideas that would actually encourage players to get involved with the economy of their faction. In addition, it opens up the possibility to blockade an evemy factions supply lines.

In addition, the percentage of "usefullness" of the automated system could be variable based on the number of planets each faction controls to simulate the effects of shorter and longer supply lines.

Just a little something that popped into my head.

What do you think?

-AC out-

Edited spelling and supply line length idea.

[ This Message was edited by: AtomicChuck on 2004-02-11 08:30 ]

Faustus
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2004-02-11 10:02   
Here is the code that calculates the demand for each resource for a planet..

// update the demand for a resource
for(j=0;j{
// how many resources does the planet currently have
float fAmount = m_Resources[ j ];
if ( fAmount < 1.0f )
fAmount = 1.0f;
float fDemand = 1.0f +
(PLANET_STRUCTURE_DEMAND * structureCount()) +
(PLANET_UNIT_DEMAND * friendlyUnitCount()) +
(PLANET_POPULATION_DEMAND * m_nPopulation);
if ( (flags() & FLAG_HAS_SHIPYARD) != 0 )
fDemand += PLANET_SHIPYARD_DEMAND;

float fWant = PLANET_RESOURCE_DEMAND[ j ] * fDemand;

m_ResourceDemand[ j ] = fWant / fAmount;
}

Basically, demand for a certain resource is based off the planets population, number of structures, number of ground units, and lastly if the planet has a shipyard it's demand is really increased (x10 currently).

Obviously, we will be tweaking this code some more until we get it working well. Your input in BETA when this code goes up later today will be appreciated.

-Richard

Goto the website of Faustus
MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2004-02-11 10:08   
I dont think automatic trading is working. Just now I had Dawn and Mycopia fully built both with starports (only two planets I built) and no resources ever traded between them.

And, how can we as players control what planet gets what resource now? I can see quite a few times where that much-need hypermatter from my planet gets sent to the wrong planet rather than the one I need it to go to. Or if when building Boonie II you need Lesser Boonie or Azuk to trade to Boonie II exclusively for a while, and it won't do it now.

Page created in 0.027654 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR