No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 +12.8 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Beta Testing Discussion » » Technology Levels now IMPLEMENTED!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
 Author Technology Levels now IMPLEMENTED!
Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2004-02-10 19:33   
Actualy their WAS a beta MV..

However it was very laggy with a low FPS (If my momory serves me correct), and only on one server (palestar.jupiter.com, i believe). SO you coudn't select planets since their were like 150 of them and the nav screen only showed like 24. it was odd

MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2004-02-10 19:34   
As far as the MV, be careful! This system prevents the shipyard planets from having a lot of defense, making them very easy to bomb and take over (not to mention it's an odd paradox that the most technologically advanced planets have the least defense, it should be reverse). One lone bomber destroyer could totally wreck a shipyard planet now due to lack of defense bases.

Since shipyards are essential to getting ships and moving about the MV, it will wind up being easy to totally cripple a faction, because the only way to prevent being crippled is to hover around your shipyard planets all the time. I noticed even a few months ago before this new system, back in the beta MV, that if you lost your shipyards in one system you were SOL there. Lose em in EVERY system and you're stuck with frigates and below out of your JG.

With this new tech system it only makes it easier to destroy or capture the shipyard planets. Gonna be interesting to see how it works in the beta MV, but mark my words here! As it works right now and without remote building it will be more a headache than an improvement!

Now, implementing a higher structure limit on planets might help this...

[ This Message was edited by: MrSparkle on 2004-02-10 19:41 ]

Gideon
Cadet

Posted: 2004-02-10 20:59   
While we may mess with a higher structure limit, it is irrelevant to high-tech planets being defendable.

We can just create advanced versions of defense bases that are way more powerful than any defense bases now...

This addition lets us think outside our box (actually, it just creates a much bigger box). Concider that now we can include an advanced defense base structure, or other kinds of advanced structures, and not have to worry about seeing them present to the exclusion of the basic structures. Now we can have a variety of planet development levels.

I see so many good possibilities in this change.

As for a beta MV, we have not operated a beta MV off of this code. Faustus has some things to patch up yet (like the beta MV map editor, and the mission system) before we can test a beta MV. In the mean time, we should press ahead with the scenario servers, and catch and squash bugs as we find them.

[ This Message was edited by: Gideon on 2004-02-10 21:00 ]

Email Gideon
Tbone
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-02-10 22:34   
Just 1 thought:

Can the Interdictor be brought down to tech level 50?

Oh, and good call with the increase with mine output!

Email Tbone
Smith
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-02-10 22:47   
i played in the beta mv when it was up months ago.............the answer is the same as it was then for shipyards.they have to go into cllusters to be defended thats all.

TheEvilGriffin
Cadet

Posted: 2004-02-11 00:18   
Just a quick note,

For those that say the yards need to be in clusters and it should be planets with high Tech should have High Def, think about it this way , 1 bombing has been changed , cant drop as many bombs 2 yes i think a high tech planet should have high tech defenses not necesarily more defs but BETTER. We are at a turning point in allot of ways and allot will change, so dont think 1.480B , we are moveing on from that.

Email TheEvilGriffin
Iglooman (SF)
Cadet

Posted: 2004-02-11 01:43   
Shipyards create ships right? So what's to say that a ship shouldn't be defending it? One or two ships in orbit around a planet as automated defence to help defend as a result of a shipyard being on that planet? The class of ship could be determined by tech level, or structures on the planet. Or the coveted platform? Only planets with a shipyard could have a weapons platforn in orbit for defense...

Of course, def bases that raise in efectiveness with increased tech does have it's benefits... Massive planetary beam/ion cannons that can help cripple enemy ships that come into orbital range. Missle salvos, rather than one per cycle...

Just my two cents. Although after playing tonight - lack of remote building sure does suck... And why is it that you can build multiple structure at once if you are in orbit with an engy? Of course I didn't try building from orbit with anything else. Maybe it just requires orbiting? Guess I should hunt down the changes made to building...

Mike Drenth - Temagami

Goto the website of Iglooman (SF)
Sky
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2004-02-11 06:04   
Quote:

On 2004-02-10 19:34, MrSparkle wrote:
As far as the MV, be careful! This system prevents the shipyard planets from having a lot of defense, making them very easy to bomb and take over (not to mention it's an odd paradox that the most technologically advanced planets have the least defense, it should be reverse). One lone bomber destroyer could totally wreck a shipyard planet now due to lack of defense bases.

I must disagree on that one dude, try bombing in beta, and you'll see that you cant lay more bombs that the ones you have when you pull out your bomber (ie UGTO bomber frigate has 2 mirv slots, so that mean you can do a cloud of 12 mirvs max ...

Sky.

MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2004-02-11 09:01   
I did it in beta Sky. Yesterday. I used an ICC bomber destroyer and totally leveled two shipyard planets easily, one bombing run each. The 'tougher' planet had 5 or 6 defense bases, and there was no way they were stopping my bombs and PCM's. Now, add to that the fact that UGTO couldn't remote build to replace the buildings, and it was crippling (it really was, they /yelled they were beaten and couldn't get any ships anymore).

What I'm saying is with this system the most important planets are also the weakest, which can easily wind up handicapping a faction. If no more changes are made and it goes live this way, it may prove to be a frustrating headache.

Bombing in beta is a lot trickier than normal servers, but not impossible after some practice You're gonna have to hover around your shipyards like bees at a nest. MV is a different situation than scenario yes, but in MV shipyards are even more important (you'll see what I mean when beta MV is up again)

EDIT: and Smith I agree with shipyards needing to be in clusters. But that cluster now will have no defense bases! Or so few that it won't matter. Imagine the requirements for each planet if you wanted each of those shipyards in the cluster to be able to spawn dreads, or just cruisers? You know how vulnerable that cluster is to a bomber with a supply? Even if there's enemies there to defend?

[ This Message was edited by: MrSparkle on 2004-02-11 09:07 ]

Sandals
Fleet Admiral
Agents

Posted: 2004-02-11 10:01   
Sparkle, by clusters...

I believe he means, one planet (preferably a Terran, Ice, or Desert) is equipped with Shipyards, and the rest are equipped with various Mines to support the shipyard and DBs to defend it.

MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2004-02-11 16:08   
Oh thats something totally different. That's what I originally said too, that you'd need other planets nearby with defense bases.

Still doesn't solve the problem of the shipyard planet being very vulnerable to bombs.

EDIT: I have heard through the grapevine that not only will clusters of planets be eliminated, but that this current implementation of research/tech isn't final for 1.481, there's more coming up to be tested. So we have to see how this 'problem' of vulerable shipyard planets is addressed. Right now I think we can all agree that it is indeed a problem though.

[ This Message was edited by: MrSparkle on 2004-02-11 16:20 ]

Sandals
Fleet Admiral
Agents

Posted: 2004-02-13 17:32   
Do recall that 1.481 won't be the be-all and end-all, wait another year for a patch. With luck, 1.482 should come relatively rapidly afterwards.

Smith
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-02-13 18:10   
we also must remeber that platforms will more thn likly be placed at shipyard planets to defend...

Bobamelius
Grand Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2004-02-13 22:49   
Yeah defense platforms will be handy

bobamelius2000@yahoo.com
Sig hosting available

[ This Message was edited by: Bobamelius on 2004-02-13 22:49 ]

Email Bobamelius
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Page created in 0.036457 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR