No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +5.3 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Chubba

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Missions for Stations
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author Missions for Stations
AdmBito
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-01-29 02:30   
I'm not sure if this is an oversite, or if there is a reason for this, but stations cannot get missions. Ok, this seems to be a problem.

A station has a mission statement that doesn't include fighing in its design. Ok, this is fine, but neither does a bomber, and it can get missions to defend planets. But maybe that is stretching it a bit far.

What about reload/repair missions? Why can a station not get those? Sure, it isn't the most mobile ship, but it can get the job done when it needs to, and the ship in need can come to the station. We'll put a maybe on this, as a station is designed to support with its reloads, and should do so.

Now, planet captures missions are something that a stations should get. Why not? It carries inf. It is designed, with 20 cargo slots, to do something with them. Why not cap planets? This seems like its designed purpose, and as such it ought to get missions for this.

So we have one yes, one probable, and one, um....well, another probable. Why can't a station defend a planet? Of course it can.

The point of this post is to say, "Throw us a friggin' bone."

Bito, the Verbose, of many useless words

*edit for sig*

Another JackSwift Masterpiece

Attack? I'm too pretty for that...

[ This Message was edited by: AdmBito aka Don Juan on 2004-01-29 02:31 ]

Puppies gotta die, too.

Wyke {ThorsHammer}
Cadet

Posted: 2004-01-29 05:13   

I agree that stations should be given missions, certainly defend missions and probably repair missions.

Im not sure about capping missions, there seems to a view in PaleStar that Stations shouldn't be used for capping. Which I am inclinced to agree with (#1). However they should certainly be supporting offensive and capping operations. So these missions may still may viable.

(#1) Yes I know I've been known to cap with Stations, though this is mainly because nearly every other FA does, and to not do so would place my fleet / side at a decicive disadvantage.

Email Wyke {ThorsHammer}
Juxtapose
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-01-29 07:31   
Well, Bito, it's like this:

Faustus, when the station was first created, intended the station to be for support only. 20 Cargo slots weren't really for infantry, but more for components/mods for other ships. The Station would lay 20 secs of a jump outside of battle where a ship could jump to it, reload, maybe re-equip it's ITs for Torps or its ECM for a reactor... that was the initial plan.

What happened next is a bit confused. After the one-armed man murdered Faustus wife causing him to become the fugitive that he now is, plans to make the Support Station into a Starport/Art Gallery were placed on hold. Communicating sporadically from land lines across America, and only with his trusted Lawyer, Dr. Evil, Faustus' vision for what should have been the crowning Jewel in the Darkspace Collection now collects dust.

Survival comes first Bito. Survival and then Justice. An innocent man stands accused of murder and all you people care about is stinking upgrades to the game!!!

Shame on you!!!!

SHAME!

Juxtapose "The one Armed" Heptane_Set

Antdizzle

Posted: 2004-01-29 07:40   
this is why i'm poor! stations NEED missions!

Daylight \"The Beginning\"
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-01-29 08:46   
Wait a min....F lost his wife?????????????????????????????????

OJ's BACK!

[ This Message was edited by: Daylight (The Beginning) on 2004-01-29 08:46 ]

Email Daylight \
$yTHe {C?}
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-01-29 09:51   
Quote:

On 2004-01-29 08:46, Daylight (The Beginning) wrote:
Wait a min....F lost his wife?????????????????????????????????

OJ's BACK!

youre sick....

What if you were stupid?
What if you were blonde?
But I repeat myself

[ This Message was edited by: $yTHe =R= on 2004-01-29 09:51 ]

Tael
2nd Rear Admiral
Palestar

Posted: 2004-01-29 12:28   
Stations only had the 20 cargo spots because in the old system there was just "Resources", not all the different resources we have now. Repair used those resources to repair you, not repair points as now.

So the concept was, 20 cargo spots ment stations could carry the capacity for 20 reload devices, staying in the field repairing units longer than a supply ship could.

The transfering cargo from one ship to another became the big issue so we could get trannies to bring resources to the stations without them having to jump back to a planet.

Since that repair mechanism has changed, for balancing we are relooking that feature, cutting its cargo slots, maybe making it so stations can only unload troops to other ships and not planets, or removing the drives on stations so they can jump, but not move once they jump.

Bringing them back to the support role they were ment for and not just an oversized trannie as people are using them for now.

F and I have talked about missions for stations, so yes, we are thinking about a role for them, but one thing is for sure, they will not get planet cap missions. Defend planet, Repair Bobo, sure... but not Capture planet.

Email Tael
Pope
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-01-30 01:20   
Juxtapose just keeps fascinating.

unknown force
Cadet

Posted: 2004-01-30 02:17   
hmmm, stations wont be able to cap????
They are good for target practice for enemy ships.
Support? kluth have autorepair and reload drones.
Humans have supply ships which some UGTO even use for combat at times.
Planets can always have depots.
I for one see no reason whatsoever then to fly a station except to attack another station with... space bar, space bar, space bar...

deaddog
Cadet

Posted: 2004-01-30 05:28   
well just to say why people use statsions as capping devices its the only one man ship that can do th job unless your ugto with modded command dred so if you going to remove drives and drop cargo space get rid of the uggies command dred to balance things up a bit still totaly un fair that ugto have a dred that is self suficiant to bomb all day long and the rest dont

Email deaddog
AdmBito
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-01-31 23:13   
Quote:

On 2004-01-30 05:28, sickpuppy wrote:
well just to say why people use statsions as capping devices its the only one man ship that can do th job unless your ugto with modded command dred so if you going to remove drives and drop cargo space get rid of the uggies command dred to balance things up a bit still totaly un fair that ugto have a dred that is self suficiant to bomb all day long and the rest dont

A few things about this post, then a reply to the replies...

A) This is a team game, and as such, there should be no one man capping machines.

B) Command Dreads, are, I believe, losing their reloads, or their bomb slots, or both, and as such, won't be the same after a patch or two. Also, see above.

C) If this game is fair, per se, why have three different sides with different ships and strategies? Why not change to all the same ships? It shouldn't be fair, it should be unbalanced and make people think enough that they don't run around pressing space bar the entire time.

Anyway, on to the main points. Stations ought not lose their drives, simply for the fact that occaisionly to repair a ship, the station needs to move to get to it. Also, to jump, it may have to clear its way around something, like a planet.

Is it that large of a leap in imagination to think of a station moving large amounts of infantry through space? I don't think so, and with the increased amounts of inf on a planet, a station will no longer be a one man capping machine.

If you take away a stations capping abilities and drives, what would make it different than a supply ship? In the case of a Hive, less reloads. UGTO station has same amount. Only a ICC station has enough reloads to make it worth anything as a reload point. And it wouldn't be able to move. Useless.

Also, one last note: whatever is done, stations need upgraded armor. They cant sit, let alone move with what they have. Human stations need another ring, and the values ought to be upped. It takes about three salvos for the armor to dissappear.

These can be useful with out being uber, but it may take a little more thinking and we may not have to take the easy way out.

Bito

Puppies gotta die, too.

JackSwift
Cadet
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2004-02-01 01:52   
*claps*

\"Errare Human Est.\"

Email JackSwift
Binks
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2004-02-01 10:48   
*prepares to make his arguement*
Okay...I think that there are some major issues with stations right now, they jsut don't ahve a purpose other than capping planets...so I believe that
1. stations should have more than one JD and no drives (jump out of way of planet then immediatly jump to target)
2. stations should have a lot more reloads(thinking in the area of 5)
3. Stations should have way more armor (thinking about 3 layers, first layer is one heavey covering whole station, second and third both 4 heavys covering the 4 sides)
4. Stations should have better weapons (enough to destroy 2 dreads, not ead's, not modded, without any help (think unmodded mandible type dreads, or cd's)
5. Station cargo should be left as is, but it's life support should be taken down to 10 (like the k'luth extracter can't carry more than 3 troops due to life support)
There's my .009 ounces of gold.