Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 +1.5 Days

Search

Anniversaries

16th - Eve_is_crap
14th - Durden

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » DarkSpace Events » » [Story Contest] 11th january - 24th january.2004
 Author [Story Contest] 11th january - 24th january.2004
Sebala CePoD
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-01-11 13:57   
Hi mates here is the new contest .
write us a nice and short story about Darkspace , it should be not longer than 500 words plz.

rulez are

not against the RoC

Don't let it become an insultive story towards other clans or other players.

A story longer then 500 words will be disqualified.
Off course if your last sentence gets you over the 500 words limit its no problem.

Topic will be closed on 7pmCET || 6pm GMT || 12am CST

Results will be given out after the Community Event Judge Meeting that will take place on sunday 25th of january 2004

good luck to everyone

[EDIT]
Added Prizes due to public demand...

3rd Place: 1.000.000 Credits!!!
2nd Place: 2 Weeks Free Playtime!!!
1st Place: 1 Month Free Playtime!!!

[ This Message was edited by: Valerius{DK} on 2004-01-14 14:16 ]

Valerius{DK}
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-01-11 16:18   
k people, listen up. We have a Questions Thread were you can post all questions if you like, this thread however is only for competition, meaning if you have a story, post it here. All other posts will be deleted...

Myon

Been dealing out lag in your neighbourhood since 2001

[ This Message was edited by: Valerius{DK} on 2004-01-19 03:08 ]

Email Valerius{DK}
Novacat
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-01-11 16:28   
Wow, so there IS A story contest, oh well, I will just post my most recent short story. I seriously doubt it exceeds the limit.

Explorer - By: RedXIII (Also Red Kerensky)

The Explorer-ship streaked through the blackness of space with its tachyon drives on full power. It immediatly reached its target, a Red Dwarf, an M4 on the spectral scale. It immediatly came to a stop as the Tachyon Drives deactivated.

The captain spoke, "Activate the main scanners, are there any planets?"

The Sensors officer, a plump man who was rather content with his job, replied. "Affermative, I am currently adding all planetary objects to Navigations."

The captain responded "Very well, set a course for the first planet."

The Navigations officer nodded "Affermative sir."

The Starship began to make turning manuvers, and than again, activated its powerful Tachyon Drive, and streaked through the ether of space once more.

The Tachyon Drive was not activated for long, however, as it soon reached its destination, and shut off its tachyon drives and once more came to a stop.

Below the Explorer-vessel, a Terran world existed. The Captain smiled, knowing that this would net him a considerable bonus. He than calmly ordered the scanning of the surface below.

The Executive Officer reported, almost mechanically,
"It is clearly a Terran world, the atmosphere is rich in Nitrogen, Oxygen is also very plentiful. Substantial levels of Carbon Dioxide and other gasses have also been detected. There is also depoits of Metals and Cryometals. Life is very plentiful, although most of the planet is jungle."

The Captain nodded, and cheerfully said "Set a course for the second planet, send a Tachyon-communication to HQ, they should be very happy about this."

[ This Message was edited by: RedXIII on 2004-01-11 16:30 ]

Goto the website of Novacat
Devlin *EN*
Cadet
Terra Squadron

Posted: 2004-01-12 14:00   
Here is my entery to the contest. Mind you, some creative liberties have been taken. Hope you like it.

The Scout
By
Devlin

The meta-verse was quiet, our enemies were dust,
With no one to shoot at, the night was a bust.
Three Dreads and a Cruiser just flying through space,
Just circling and waiting for an enemy to face.

Our wait was not long, on our screens did appear,
A little red blip, a Scout with no fear.
He flew into range and on him we pounced,
with all guns a blazing, we threw every ounce.

He dodged all our fire, with speed and with ease.
Across all our screens his taunts, they did tease.
“You can not catch me!” he said with a flare,
as he flew through our ranks with the smallest of care.

“With our fighters we will.” Replied our fearless leader.
“I’ll bet one million credits, to make it much sweeter.”
“I accept.” Said the Scout, “But with rules of my own,
No others may join, just you four alone.”

“No Lasers, no missiles, no torps can be thrown.
If I see just one, the bet will be blown.”
“Agreed,” said our leader. “A time shall be set,
We have one hour to settle our bet.”

All arrangements were final, the settings were done,
One neutral planet would host all our fun.
When all called out, “READY!” and the countdown was gone,
We launched all our fighters, the contest was on.

Twenty five, Thirty five, Forty five out,
“You’ll need more then that!” the Scout, he did shout.
Fifty five, Sixty five, that should do the trick,
The Scout flew through them all, through fire quite thick.

One hundred, Two hundred, Three hundred more,
It seemed no amount could even the score.
Five hundred, Six hundred, Seven hundred, WAIT
With lag on our screens, could the server take Eight?

Pulse cannons to the left of him, and rail guns to the right,
How could they miss him? He was clearly in sight.
One thousand plus fighters, all swarming through space,
How long could he do this, could he keep up this pace?

He dodged and he weaved, he zipped and he zoomed.
With time running out, we knew we were doomed.
How could he do this, so small and so fast?
We watched in amazement as the seconds ticked past.

Our time limit over, our hour was through,
We gave him our “Gratz” for the skill that he flew.
With arrogance and pride he said to us then,
“Some time in the future, let’s do this again.”

He took all the money and went to depart,
Then something happened that gladdened my heart.
“Thanks for the credits,” He said. “Boy this was fun.”
We watched and we laughed, when he jumped through a sun.

Back in the lounge, we told them our story,
Of one fearless Scout, in all of his glory,
The end to this story, the truth to be told,
One cocky mistake was worth more then gold.

Orion_Prime
Cadet

Posted: 2004-01-12 21:54   
Here is my entry. A little abbreviated due to the word limit, but it conveys the general message. I am curious, however, if we are allowed to submit more than one entry and, if so, what would be the capper?

The Lottery
Matthew "Orion_Prime" Stanford

After "The Lottery" by: Shirley Jackson

Sirius, while in the depths of space, seemed unusually bright and cheerful. The radio waves were bustling with activity; both internal and external system traffic. Most of the combat ships in the system were in various orbits around Sag Hothha. Only a few stragglers were not, but they were on their way at faster-than-light speeds. This was a day that no one missed, regardless of their social standing or popularity.

The central Hive ship which was to be the moderator of the day's activities was in a close orbit. The other ships seemed to be centered around the Hive. The last few stragglers just managed to drop out of faster-than-light travel and occupy open orbits when the Mediator began to speak. All radio traffic was silenced and the booming, though somewhat tepid, voice of the Mediator roared through.

"The day has come again, brothers, for the Lottery. As you know, over population has been a problem inherent to war with our species. A problem that perplexes even our brightest scientists. Our solution may perplex still others, but it has worked for thousands of generations."

The Mediator continued briefly about the history of the Lottery. "Captain," began an eager underling in charge of navigation on the Predator class ship 'The Avenged and Deranged', "I have heard that there are cities in the front line sectors that refuse the Lottery. Why can't we ignore it as well? After all, it is sort of archaic."

"Now now, lets not debunk the value of tradition. This is a solution to a problem, and nothing more." The Captain continued to listen to the Mediator over the comm. He always had a strange fascination with the history of the Lottery.

"Now. You all have had a chance to review the Code and no one
has presented any evidence that there is a flaw. When I push this button, every ship will receive the encoded transmission and await my orders to open them.".

Tension mounted throughout the empire as the results were eagerly anticipated and anxiously dreaded by all. "Alright, when you please, " the mediator said solemnly and began to open his own

A long radio silence was followed quickly by the same underlying shouting "It's not fair sir! The Mediator is against us! I'm taking us out of here right now!" He had not realized the communications channel was open, but it didn't matter. As soon as he fired the antimatter drive, it puttered to a stop from interdiction fields.

"Now calm down," The captain urged, "Everything will be alright." The captain kept his cool. He knew this day would come eventually, and he had been right. "Alright gentlemen, let's get this over with quickly so that we can get back to work." Ion particles charged in every ship and radiation poured from weapon ducts with an ominous glow.

"It's not fair," the underling said gloomily. The first disruptor ray struck the armor plating.

"It's not fair, it's not right." The combined disruptor fire of hundreds of ships hid the targeted from sight.

[ This Message was edited by: Orion_Prime on 2004-01-12 21:55 ]

Email Orion_Prime
worstnightmare {seraphim}
Cadet

Posted: 2004-01-13 13:03   
here is my first entry

it all started with "download complete"
i proceded to install this new gme and load it up for the first time, i started to play it and......................................................................................................
............................................................................................................
............................................................................................................
................................................................................oh christ im still writing this story um... nah ill go back to playing thanx

(not to be taken seriously will have another go later)

His uniform is different, The best you've ever seen. The German's call him 'Devil dog', His real name is 'Marine'.

[ This Message was edited by: worstenightmare {assassins guild} on 2004-01-13 13:04 ]

[ This Message was edited by: worstenightmare {assassins guild} on 2004-01-13 13:04 ]
http://www.darkspace.net/profile.htm?lang=en&sid=867791861

Email worstnightmare {seraphim}
Sovereign
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-01-13 22:51   
I'm not used to writing short stories, but I'll have a go at it anyways.

It is a Good Day to Die

Light exploded from the destroyer’s engines. The long engine trails indicated the ICS Scorpion's high speed, but with a UGTO Cruiser just a few hundred GUs off it didn't seem fast enough. The cruiser let loose a salvo from its particle cannons and the Scorpion shuddered as the rounds struck its unarmored hull before retaliating with a barrage of Railgun rounds. Several fighters swarmed the protagonist, unleashing their weapons loads.

"Damage report!" the captain shouted.
"Hull still stable, the Tachyon drive has sustained several critical hits," an engineering officer said. “It doesn’t look like we’re going to make it,” he added quietly.
There was static over the radio.
"Someone is transmitting to our ship, I can't block it, Captain."

"ICC ship, stand down. Our scans show you're engines will soon be non-functional. Surrender your ship and you will be shown mercy."

"Bah! Fire off any weapons we still have!"

The few remaining weapons onboard the destroyer scratched at the cruiser's armor. The UGTO cruiser was quickly closing distance now, its firepower bearing down on the Scorpion. Massive beams of rippling yellow light made contact with its target.

"Sir! A direct flux attack has damaged the ship's engines; maneuverability has degraded significantly. Weapons off-line. Infantry pods are moving in on the ship..."

There was a strange silence on the bridge. The crew could predict what the captain would do. The captain took a deep breath, "Engage self-destruct, code gamma 920-"
The comm. officer interrupted, "We've just received a transmission captain, assault cruiser ICS Spearhead."
The captain hesitated a moment before giving the okay for the message to go through.
"ICS Scorpion this is the ICS Spearhead, a self-destruct will not be necessary. Help is on the way. ETA seven seconds"

The crew on the bridge looked relieved for a moment before a stray missile shook the ship, immediately reminding them of their precarious situation.

Soon a blinding flash of white engulfed the two ships; the thunder of torpedoes rang through the cruiser's halls. An Assault Cruiser appeared aft of the UGTO ship and blasted the infantry pods with its twin Chemical Lasers. The fighters quickly became no more than scrap metal. The tables had turned. Seeing the new threat, the battle cruiser tried to execute an about face but the more maneuverable ICC vessel had already fixed its torpedo turrets on its target. While moving at a steady speed, the ICS Spearhead fired away at its target’s armor then its hull. The UGTO cruiser's feeble tactics weren't enough to keep up with its nemesis. The cruiser attempted to take the Scorpion down with it, but it was no use. It wasn't long before the battle cruiser was venting ion particles from its engines and soon exploded in a flurry of debris at the hands of its own captain - a self-destruct. Another flash of light came and in its place was a welcomed sight, a supply ship. The ICS Scorpion would survive to fight another day.

Tbone
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-01-17 02:34   
Torture

The room was dank and moist. A small window was placed ten feet above the ground, barely 6 inches wide and steel bars running along its height. It offered a small glimmer of hope, even for a K’luth, before robbing that feeling away.

The K’luth lay on his bed, the single furnishing of the cell, thinking; the only thing he could do. The K’luth looked up suddenly and stared at the single door to his cell. His hearing had picked up the footfalls getting louder. They grew in intensity before stopping close by. The K’luth tried to be strong, to face this just like he had in the beginning, but soon found himself overwhelmed with fear for what he knew was coming. They could be coming for no one but him; the K’luth cells were built very far apart, well out of the range of psionic communication. All K’luth in the prison were utterly alone.

The click of a mechanical lock echoed throughout the cell. The door swung open and a man stepped through, pulling the door shut. He looked the same, a crisp uniform, a gear belt around his waist, and a helmet-like device tucked under his arm. He set the helmet down and walked over to the K’luth’s bed and reached out secure his arms and legs. If he had the strength, he would have jumped and snapped the human’s neck, but now he was too weak.

The horrible thing was he had nothing to say and his captors knew. The K’luth knew that this man simply took a perverse pleasure from the pain. Reaching into his belt, he withdrew a small needle and injected the contents into the K’luth’s arm. The drug was the same as well. The first sensation was that of relaxation, almost pleasure, designed to put the subject at ease.

The drug let loose its fury soon after that. Every fiber of the K’luth’s being was overcome by intense pain. His back arched as high as it could, straining the restraints. But, for all of its effects on the body, none were comparable to what happened to the mind. The usual calmness of the advanced K’luth brain was ripped away and shredded. The K’luth’s entire awareness, the most precious things he had left, was destroyed as the drug tore its way through his brain.

When it was finally over, the prisoner was left a pitiful pile of flesh on the floor. The human officer picked up the helmet and placed it on the K’luth’s head. A smile was on his face as he spoke… but it was different. “I know what you think of in here, alone in your own head. You want to leave, any way you can.” The helmet did its job, making the words into something the K’luth could understand. “You look at me and see a monster. A monster you would take the life of without hesitation.” The human reached behind him and pulled out a pistol and pointed it at the K’luth’s head. “But I look at you and what I see is a soldier. You had nothing to tell me, I knew that. But you did not beg. Believe it or not, you have made a friend.” He pulled the trigger.

---------

If the limit is extended to 750 or something, I can still re-edit this right?

Email Tbone
Lord DowneyBUM (UK)
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-01-18 15:17   
Chief Mechanic, Bob Burrows, swigged another beer, picked his nose and wiped it on the side of the drone comp. He had spent the last 21 years serving within the supply squadron and was waiting for discharge. The days were etched into the side of the engine casing and he was crossing them off, eagerly waiting spending his retirement fund. The tickets to the pleasure world of Kudos were safely tucked away in his grime-encrusted overalls.
The last two weeks had been spent breaking in the rookie, What the hell were the academy sending them now days. Times must be hard.
He thought back to his career, conspicuous by its lack activity, he had managed to avoid any direct combat experience, he had not seen action, he had even managed to accidentally break an arm, just prior to being posted out to the ill fated Epsilon Eri mission. Heapheastus the God of engineers and Smiths had been kind to Bob. So kind that Bob had named his ship after him.
He relayed the co-ordinates into the Nav Comp and set about lining up his MS-40 A class bucket towards the Support Station Electra. Apparently they needed a recharge. What the hell, they had there own drones. Typical, always rely on the poor spanner monkey to do the job. And where the hell was the Noob, probably lying on his bunk reading some damned techie mag. Well this’ll shake him up in his starched clean overalls.
The ship jolted as enormous forces hurtled her towards the station and another routine repair job towards the final paycheck, They aren’t grateful any way he thought, they just slam the supp button without a thought for some old timer having his tea.
The Heapheastus flashed out of warp and into a maelstrom of lasers lancing towards the Electra. She was being played with by a fleet of cloaked Claw class Kluth. A mandible was sitting directly off the Heapheatus port bow, watching the destruction with a fatherly intensity.
The rage started low in Bobs stomach as he saw his plans for the future disintegrate and the reality and imminent distruction of his fleet mates. A clattering in his ear as the Noob came scrambling into the cockpit, and promptly wet himself. RUN he screamed. No one will know.”
20 odd years of experience at dodging the draft, of avoiding trouble came into play. The Heapheastus smoothly avoided deadly psi torps and manourvered into position under the Crippled Station. The Driods flew in a magical arc of healing as the Ship received the beneficial powers of the Smith God. Slowly the Claw exhausted there power supplys. The void of space was fragmented by the rent of Warp Drives as other ships flashed into view. The reassuring blue pints of light in the cockpit showed the arrival of Fleet Acrotides. The Mandible shimmered and cloaked and fled. The Claw outnumbered began to be picked of in waves of fiery splashes across the dark space.
Damn it thought Bob, now I have to clear the cabin up from the stench of Noobie Urine.
“Cheers Supp” came across the com link.
"NP"

[ This Message was edited by: Lord Downey on 2004-01-20 09:25 ]

Goto the website of Lord DowneyBUM (UK)
Banshee*
Admiral
Mercenaries of Andosia

Posted: 2004-01-19 01:21   
well then here is mine :Friday, the 25,5 UGTO - space hospital 12544

Dear Dad!

I write this letter from the hospital on Epsideon. No concern, it is nothing special.
I have only a few fractures and a brain-concussion.

We have discovered a new opponent, against whom the rebels are harmless small children.

I flew a patrol with a middle combat fleet, when we received strange scan-result's. I let the scanners adjust again, when a ship unmasked itself.

First I thought, it am only a new ICC-gadget. The ship immediately opened fire and destroyed three cruisers at the first attempt. The 3 survivors withdrew only to find themselves after the re-entry into the normal space surrounded by a ICC-fleet commanded by the Renegate Soul132.

We wanted open fire, but again this unknown ship unmasked, and was reducing the ICC-fleet until only 2 ship's survive.

I let the Reliant turn and opened the fire myself on the unknown being. Till then i thought that nothing could resist a fire salvo of a battle cruiser.

The ufo was hit by my full spread, however only vibrated a little bit and flew on.

We withdrew again, this time with the remaining ICC-ship's on our side. We had no choice; we must talk to them.

The next time the opponent emerged, all five ships opened the fire. After three salvos the enemy detonated.

We wanted to separate, but three more ships decloaked themselves. After a horrible fight, only my Reliant and the Nomad's Soul, the Heavy Cruiser of Soul132 survived. We withdrew for the third , and found ourselves in a huge asteroid-field.

Soul132 mentioned the idea of throwing one of the new ICC-nuke mines.

These mines were in such a way modified, which "fakes" the explosion of a cruiser. We let the mine detonate and scattered some debris to.

I am very sorry about that, but i had no choice but to add some dead body's of my comrades to. May God help my not to loose my immortal soul.

The opponents found the field of destruction and flew off a little later.

Soul132 and I separated and we both flew direction home. The Reliant was hit by a Nuke mine. I was buried under rubble and our ship drove in space without energy.

I probably would have died, if not the BCA had emerged. Lt. Commander de Roise Noir brought us to Naix, where our ship came into the dry dock.

I suggested Robert for the "STAR of Epsidion" and for the (long awaited) rank of Commander.

We do not know yet who or what is attacking us there. But make your mind easy of that, these new opponents have relaxed the situation between our UGTO and the ICC-rebels, i am sure.

I will write you again after the retake of my Captains-chair .

Captain Thomas " Banshee " Weber

Valerius{DK}
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-01-24 20:23   
We would like to thank all competitors for their entries.

All Judges now have until the Community Event Judges Meeting to grade the entries.

The results will be given out after that.

This thread is now locked.

Greeting from the Community Event Judges

Email Valerius{DK}
Hussaro
Cadet

Posted: 2004-01-25 13:28   
Greetings contestants,

Here are the results of this contest:

8 poeple decided to go for the first place.

0 people were disqualified on their way to the top.

The results:

08. worstnightmare
07. Banshee
05. Devlin || USS Sovereign
04. Lord Downay
03. Red XIII
02. Orion_Prime
01. Tbone

The top 3 may expect their prizes soon as a personal message send to them.

Congratulations and thanks for competing!

Greetings from the Community Event Judges.

[ This Message was edited by: Hussaro on 2004-01-25 13:32 ]

Page created in 0.033415 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR