No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +5.6 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Chubba

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Idea(s) UBER DOES NOT = BAD/BROKE
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
 Author Idea(s) UBER DOES NOT = BAD/BROKE
Keja Dogo {C?} (Master windoo)
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-01-11 16:27   
I seem to have a wave of "no uber ships" posts, so let my clarify.
The basis of this idea is not to have UBER SHIPS. It's to do with policy. You must admit that having the same attitude to a home system attack as a back system attack is rather unrealistic (not to mention unbalencing for the game), for any faction. All these factions are very proud and wouldn't take atacks on their home system lightly.
In reality, there's no need for these ships to be any better than normal ships. They would just be set up differently. ok, SLIGHTLY more uber... but what's wrong with that? they won't be able to leave the system. And you guys are allways moaning that home systems get taken so easilly.... If you ask me this is a fun, interesting, realistic method of making the home systems stronger.

"the enemy attack is often beneficial, to the stealthy" - Elfstar

[ This Message was edited by: Elfstar {C?} on 2004-01-11 16:29 ]

\"If you place a thing in the center of your life, that lacks the power to norish, it will eventually poison everything that you are, and destroy you. As simple a thing as an idea, or your perspective of your se

Grimith
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2004-01-11 18:16   
~The ship idea isn't a bad idea at all, in my opinion. The base suggestion of it seems pretty sound... and I'll agree with it. For example, if I'm challenged to a debate or a discussion or insulted about something I really don't have that much knowledge or skill at, it doesn't bother me that much (like sports, which I couldn't care less for). However, if someone challenges me and insults the way I play chess, for instance, I take great offense to it because I pride myself on the way I play it. Simple as that.

~No, I didn't digress with that first paragraph. I was trying to put it into Layman's Terms, seeing as how we all probably aren't part of massive organizations that control whole systems.

~And I really, really, REALLY do think that the broadcasting idea is a good one. The way it is, people could broadcast if there actually was an invasion in their systems, but they'd probably be beaten with a huge stick for broadcasting and disrupting everyone when the invasion didn't apply to them or something. And you'd at least need an active person in there (we'll just assume people are dancing away in the lobby ). Now... well... hey... THERE'S AN ATTACK! GET YOUR ARSE IN THERE AND DEFEND!!!

Goto the website of Grimith
Tbone
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-01-11 18:28   
This has nothing to do with this thread, but just to clarify something:

The history link to the left is NOT the right history. The actual history of DarkSpace is found here in the Universe News Forum

http://www.darkspace.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=17041&forum=121&0

Email Tbone
Keja Dogo {C?} (Master windoo)
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-01-11 19:02   
Infact T-Bone. That link does have some relevance. The history of 2118 CE, shows the GCC taking extreem measures (co-incidentally building an uber ship ). to stop earth from being destroyed.

"In secret, the GCC had been playing a major gambit. In stationary orbit over the North Pole, the GCC had been working on a ship construction yard for the last year and a half. Designated Bifrost Station, it was originally designed to build long range probes and colony ships to the rest of the worlds in the Sol system for possible use in the rebuilding of Earth. Now, she had a different mission. Hoping for the best, the GCC decided to build a torpedo warship in Bifrost Station’s births. Designated the Guardian, this ship was specifically designed to get to Ragnarock and deliver as much weapons fire as possible in the hopes of diverting it’s path...

December 7, 2118 CE: Several attempts are made to push Ragnarock using the Guardian’s engines. They prove far too weak to make any kind of appreciable change in the asteroid’s vector. At 09:54:12 they send a simple message to Earth, “We give our lives for the lives of Humanity. May you all see better days.” Shortly there after, the Guardian explodes in a massive uncontrolled fusion reaction, consuming all of her torpedo and engine fuel in one cataclysmic blast."

"the enemy attack is often beneficial, to the stealthy" - Elfstar

[ This Message was edited by: Elfstar {C?} on 2004-01-11 19:14 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Elfstar {C?} on 2004-01-11 20:35 ]

\"If you place a thing in the center of your life, that lacks the power to norish, it will eventually poison everything that you are, and destroy you. As simple a thing as an idea, or your perspective of your se

Tbone
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-01-11 21:21   
Both of those are also in the new history.

Email Tbone
Astral Viper
Cadet

Posted: 2004-01-11 21:45   
i like the idea ships tasked soley to defend the centers of that races civilization is realistic and would be a necesity with tach drives allowing people to zoom across the galaxy. And these same ships would be the pride of that race/people/civilization for they would be the last wall between life... and extinction. So if this idea is implemented it would make sense to have them slightl better than the same ships in the in their class. what would u prefer defending ur family? top of the line state of the art ships built to defend the system at all costs or else. Or ships that are merely off the shelf. another reason these ships would perform better is there crew. these crew mebers know they are it theres no where to go nothing to fall back to they would work with a passion and a ferver only imaginable to people in the same situation. think about i speak only the truth and common sense.

p.s. if u dant have anything constructive to add than dont reply its that simple or mrely say u dont like it.

*edited for sig*

Beware the strike of the VIPER

[ This Message was edited by: Astral Viper (Save the Gaifens) on 2004-01-11 21:46 ]

GTN wasnt just a Fleet it was a Family we all were and still are and always will be brothers in our hearts.

From the ashes of Earth we rise like a pheonix spreading our wings

Email Astral Viper
NightDragon
Cadet

Posted: 2004-01-11 21:47   
well if they make like 3 different defense platforms, IE. Missle, FIghter, Torp

it would make things harder to get, expect for icc.... thats why torps would be best agisnt them i would think, 2 reactors on a platform and 6 torps would equal alot fo hurt

piomega4
Cadet

Posted: 2004-01-11 22:06   
I support the idea of AI-controlled, fairly permanent orbital defense platforms around key homeplanets. It makes sense, and it's balanced.

*edit*
Bear in mind, said platforms would be immobile or have almost no mobility.

[ This Message was edited by: piomega4 on 2004-01-11 22:07 ]

Astral Viper
Cadet

Posted: 2004-01-11 23:17   
The homeguard ships hes talking about are NOT ai they are players

GTN wasnt just a Fleet it was a Family we all were and still are and always will be brothers in our hearts.

Email Astral Viper
Tbone
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-01-13 11:07   
Quote:
well if they make like 3 different defense platforms, IE. Missle, FIghter, Torp

Quote:
I support the idea of AI-controlled, fairly permanent orbital defense platforms around key homeplanets. It makes sense, and it's balanced.

Have a gander at the development log.

Email Tbone
Antdizzle

Posted: 2004-01-13 13:29   
Quote:

p.s. if u dant have anything constructive to add than dont reply its that simple or mrely say u dont like it.

now tell me if i'm wrong but in a america you voice your opinion(DS is located in USA) so if i dun like i'm gonna say so..and give a reason....now as to flame don't flame it but saying uber ships are bad isn't a flame ...

i dun really like the idea but.....well... i dun like it cause uber ships die!(player controlled

[ This Message was edited by: Sarge =SG-1= on 2004-01-13 13:31 ]

Grimith
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2004-01-13 15:45   
Quote:

On 2004-01-13 13:29, Sarge =SG-1= wrote:
i dun really like the idea but.....well... i dun like it cause uber ships die!(player controlled

~If uber ships die, then they aren't that quite uber, huh? After all, if they were uber, then supposedly they'd have enough power to take any ship of lesser value in one-on-one combat and strike a decisive victory or at least come out on top.

~Each ship has its advantages and disadvantages. Stations, the biggest ships that we can control, are supposedly the 'uberest' things in terms of raw power. Yet, they can't dodge a single thing at all (unless the station jumps or the other player's targeting computer sucks). Things like mines and flux beams/waves still do a considerable amount of damage---especially to a Hive, which only has one repair bay and its auto repair (compared to the ICC's 3 reloads). And these ships go slow, too... a maximum of 5 gus a second. It's a pain to run into a jump disruptor field when in one of these things, and your chances of catching up with anything that isn't paying attention to you is relatively slim --- your only true hope in a station is to jump them and give off the best alpha strike you can.

~Imagine a ship with more capabilities/power than a station, now.

~These ships would nearly be stuck with where they were stationed (no pun intended) if they wanted to carry a greater armament (including more engines, more energy, more weapons, more hull/armor, or other items). Actually getting them in a good alignment to jump would be a formidable task in itself. They might guzzle down so much fuel that it could very well be improbable to get them out of the system---and, even if you did, you would lose prestige at an insane rate. Everything could out-manuever you, including stations.

~Okay, maybe I over-exaggerated the "improvements" that this new so-called 'uber' ship would be getting. Just trying to drive my point, here.

~Anyway, this new ship probably wouldn't be dying anytime soon. To begin with, if it's mobility is so restricted, there's a good chance the player won't be wasting a jump just to catch a few foes here and there (like I would in a station). This ship is stuck to the home system, _at least_. This means that, if you get into a massive battle at the jumpgate against one of these uber ships (it's an imaginative example, okay?), you won't have to worry about those things coming in after you if you exit the gate (and since these things will be removed... you can easily presume that you're going to have a wide range of safety space out there).

~And the chance of luring this ship into a trap would have to be small... this isn't just a station that any Fleet Admiral can get with the right badges and the right resources. This is a ship that, suggested by Elfstar, could require at least another Fleet Admiral to authorize. Furthermore, I don't think any suicidal or players that lack-in-intelligence would actually gather the authorization to drive this thing that costs more than a station (you know who those crazy, gullible people that aren't effective at forming cohesive defensive manuevers are).

~With all of these factors, the ship could probably end up being stuck at a planet. Given the fact that this is the home system, this planet will most likely have an interdictor base latched onto it and defense bases. Depending on the strength of the planet and the type of missles that the defense bases shoot out, this alone could deter the suicidal maniacs that just like to charge at a station and blow up over and over until the thing dies (believe it or not, I'm sure people would do that even if they weren't near their home system, a friendly system, or a planet with modding capabilities). There will also probably be allied ships near the planet or allied ships that are going to jump near the planet as soon as the enemy becomes apparent. Now, if the uber ship gets that boost in power, this will probably mean that not that many people will want to approach the planet. However, sticking near the planet would subject them to the planet's defense bases, the ships by the planet, and possibly even the uber ship itself if it's equipped to fight long-ranged combats.

~Now, to go back to your original point... about how uber ships just outright die. Instead of carrying on about picky and critical technicalities... I will do something somewhat 'constructive'. You show me a force with this new version that could take a planet from the home system of an enemy with this uber ship, the power of at least an additionall ally, the power of actually having the ship spawn area so close by, the power of the actual planet or cluster of planets you may be attacking, and the ability to mod new ships if they lose theirs (I won't even add in the new changes that will come like giving defense bases the chance to shoot down infantry drop pods)...... and I will show you someone that applauds such an extreme force of teamwork, because that's what this game is all about.

~I carried on way too much about this... ugh... must be the vile oppressors at school......

Goto the website of Grimith
Antdizzle

Posted: 2004-01-13 16:38   
^^ likes

Astral Viper
Cadet

Posted: 2004-01-13 20:05   
elf didnt say anything about super stations. ships ( destroyer cruiser and dreadnughts) that are slighty better than average and used soley for defense of the home sytems aka cradles of that civilzation. i have to admit that one definetely came from right field in my opinion

Email Astral Viper
$wiss
Admiral

Posted: 2004-01-13 20:21   
wow this post went from a pretty cool idea to a complete flame fo Elfs ideas. Shame on you all!! WEll, i kinda like the idea it would also help if you were opposing a larger invasion force!

or as a matter of fact, why not have pre-modded defence ships that can be only used in the home system, you would select these from the home system jumpgates. This would save time, because it is useless taking an unmodded ships against a moded group.

You won't feel so sweden after I kick you in your finland!

Freshman girls, get em while they're skinny -So True....

[ This Message was edited by: Swiss on 2004-01-13 20:24 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Page created in 0.019944 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR