No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +5.6 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Chubba

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Idea(s) UBER DOES NOT = BAD/BROKE
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
 Author Idea(s) UBER DOES NOT = BAD/BROKE
Keja Dogo {C?} (Master windoo)
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-01-11 02:06   
As i understand it, there will be 2 new ranks. And as far as i can see these ranks are completly pointless.

For a while now i've been thinking about the home systems, and how they can fall allmost as easilly as the others, the only advantage to the defenders being that they have their home jumpgate in the system. And now that i think of it, with shipyards this advantage will be lost...

In a real situation, i think that the policy of the high command of any faction would be very different to that of an attack on a neighboring or far out system. UGTO High command would take far more drastic messures stop any threat to SOL than they would to say, Delta pavonis. So part 1 of my idea is this...

UGTO: Home Guard, ICC Home Guard and Kluth Queens Guard
Edit:ok, I've had a lots of no uber ships replies. So I'm editing this post to clarify that UBER is NOT A BAD WORD. UBER DOES NOT = BROKEN. By UBER i mean SLIGHTLY better than normal ships. To put into perspective. I think a part modded HEAVY CRUISER on FA is uber. And that's the kinda of advantage i'm talking about. But i don't think that any ships should be UBER uber. Personally I think that all ships should be toned a little, to make battles last longer. Plus the acctuall advantage of the ships isn't the mainstay of this idea. If you look, i only have a few lines explaining what the ships would acctually be like. This is open to suggestion... could i have some suggestions, instead of tons no uber ships replies?

EDIT: SPECIAL ships drafted to fight in the home sytems ALONE. They would problably be cruiser class ships. They have more seige wepons than normal; fighters, missiles ect. They would also be ok in close combat. Mabey destroyer class for close combat?
If a ship like this attempted to leave the system, they would recive a message like "UGTO Home Guard 1, you are very close to leaving SOL space. Retreat imediately" If they carried on, they would loose an UNBELIVEABLE amount of prestige, mabey even the rank required to take the ship. Then they would loose prestige at an exponential rate if they didn't return to their home planet for court marshall within 5 minutes. Mabey 10 prestige a minute rising to 100 after 10 minutes? (I'm not sure if that's exponential but you get the idea ) Mabey limit these ships to 5 per faction? (not sure about this). Making ships a high rank doesn't seem to do much. One thing is for sure though they would use SILLY amounts of resources (side note: I'm not sure how well the resources system is going to work even for normal ships, you always get too much resources or too little to keep it balenced. And if you ask me, it's a DAMN hard thing to balence)
Or...
High command Auturisation. You could make it so you need a certain number of Fleet Admirals or whatever to authorise such mesures. These measures woudn't be without their risks or drawbacks. With the special ships idea you'd be using SILLY amounts of resources and for a ship that can never leave the system. So you wouldn't get a bunch of n00b FA's authurising Home guard ships just for the hell of it (well i hope not )

Thanks, Elf

P.S. I'm not sure if the High command thingy has been posted before, if it has I am sorry.
P.S.S my versions better

"the enemy attack is often beneficial, to the stealthy" - Elfstar

[ This Message was edited by: Elfstar {C?} on 2004-01-11 17:23 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Elfstar {C?} on 2004-01-11 17:23 ]

\"If you place a thing in the center of your life, that lacks the power to norish, it will eventually poison everything that you are, and destroy you. As simple a thing as an idea, or your perspective of your se

Sorn Duskryn -{Shadewalker}- -VA-
Cadet

Posted: 2004-01-11 04:01   
I like the idea... you couldt say, that those ship are experimental, and they now, as a "last defense", they take it out to defence their homesystem.

And I'd like if those ships would have new technology.... and to be able to fly those ships, you'd have to do a test. No clue how this test would be!

Email Sorn Duskryn -{Shadewalker}- -VA-   Goto the website of Sorn Duskryn -{Shadewalker}- -VA-
Barthezzz
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-01-11 04:48   
5 Uber ships = Bad.

People simply shouldnt be able to fly to an enemy homesystem this easy.
Of course, jumpgates going away will actually make doing that a lot harder, or atleast more boring

Goto the website of Barthezzz
Axianda The Royal
Fleet Admiral
Terra Squadron

Posted: 2004-01-11 05:45   
Aye Uber ships are not a good idea..

the homeguard idea is sound just make em like the AI's dumb as hell but a pain in the behind

- Axi

chris aka sunshine
Cadet

Posted: 2004-01-11 07:44   
no ueber ships hehe.. i'm sure we'll find a better way to guard the home systems of each faction =)

Email chris aka sunshine   Goto the website of chris aka sunshine
Antdizzle

Posted: 2004-01-11 08:01   
nay 2 the uber ness! (lemme keep my AS though)

peanutbutter
Cadet

Posted: 2004-01-11 08:04   
why not simply send an automated broadcast message by the server to the MV and the chat like "The UGTO homesystem is under attack.....all hands to battlestation!" as soon as an enemy enters the system. repulsing them should not be a big problem. to post AI guards at the gates wouldn't help much since i don't need even a sup to enter the system without using the gates. it just takes a little bit longer.

Email peanutbutter
Binks
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2004-01-11 10:22   
Or, in my opinion, the home systems main planet (mars for sol, no clue on the other factions home worlds) gets a perminate ai station or 2 in perminate orbit to defend the planet, that way whoever fights to repulse the nme gets a bit of extra defence and the stations can hold the nme off for a little while while the fleet gathers back home