No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.1 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » New Faction?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author New Faction?
Firestorm
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-01-03 20:06   
I have seen in the preliminary art section of the screenshots a Legion-Class Cruiser, and on the back of the DS game box, it says "Subscribe to and participate in a massively multiplayer world, shattering campaigns and receiving dynamic content updates of new ship types, races, technology, and strategies..."

So I was just wondering, is there going to be any new factions, ships, weapons, etc? It sounds like a really good idea to me.

_x$witchBladex_ [1.480 Fanboy]
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-01-03 20:44   
yea i would like to see some new weapons...possibly even a new Faction. I heard rumors about a new faction that will be implemented in one of the next few patches, is this true? if so, can we get soem in sight on this?

-Switch

[ This Message was edited by: _xSwitchBladex_-|-Bomber-|- on 2004-01-03 20:44 ]
* [=TB=]Enterprise @39933 sent to Clan: "Thats a lie Switch, you'd never let anyone else drink rum if it were right there. You'd slip teh roofies in and start drinking it yourself and not even realize it."

Grimith
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2004-01-03 21:18   
~There will be a new faction: The Legion... in the storyline, from what I know, it is the faction that drove the K'luth away to Sirius. I believe it is entirely mechanical... meaning that there isn't any living tissue (Dur ). The faction itself is supposed to be a big counter to the K'luth... or to at least balance it out. You have the humans... you have a completely organic faction... and then you have a completely metallic faction.

~There are other changes going around in development, too. You can either cruise the forums, check the development log out, or wait until someone that knows more about this stuff replies in this thread.

Goto the website of Grimith
WhiteWolf
Cadet

Posted: 2004-01-03 21:24   
Err.....

Assume DarkSpace is static....

dynamic content is not really possible right now....

The Admins have decided on a more static update system with large, infrequent updates, rather than small, frequent updates.

worstnightmare {seraphim}
Cadet

Posted: 2004-01-03 22:30   
i didnt know the admins had a say in it, i thought it was upto the developers and anyway large infrequent patches have a tendency to never get past beta testing so many players will be agitated at this small frequent fixes to things broken and new stuff done in bits unless there is something major coming up would suit the darkspace .wob file system so much better so....
http://www.darkspace.net/profile.htm?lang=en&sid=867791861

Email worstnightmare {seraphim}
Barthezzz
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-01-04 05:08   
There wont be a new faction. Not a player controlled one anyway.
2 Reasons:
-DarkSpace doesnt even have enough players to fill 1 faction let alone 4...
-The Legion is going to be the almighty butcher of all that is biological, everybody would automaticly switch to this faction and the game would die.

As for ships and weapons; the next patch

Goto the website of Barthezzz
Russian Roulette with Muskets
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2004-01-04 05:35   
machine only faction?

new fodder for the flux.....

-Ashiya-
Vice Admiral

From: The United Kingdom Of Great Britain And Northern Ireland.
Posted: 2004-01-04 07:19   
Larger Infrequent patches are BETTER in numerous games where there have been small freqeunt ones they end up disrupting code somewhere else and this causes a problem that when fixed causes another.. Larger Infrequent ones are completely revamped code and thus cause no more problems.. as for new faction.. if there are ever enough players.. Yup maybe..
but
with the story element being added (i beleive) then there maybe AI ship appearances to enhance the storyline..
anyway im not one for long posts so here ya go..

Email -Ashiya-   Goto the website of -Ashiya-
Mephesto_Odium {Sirius 1 Jockey}
Cadet

Posted: 2004-01-04 09:01   
What's the holdup on the current patch anyhow?

Barthezzz
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2004-01-04 09:04   
There is no hold up, its just a lot of work for 1 man to do.

Goto the website of Barthezzz
Lark of Serenity
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2004-01-04 12:52   
to my understanding from a previous post by faustus, after the balance patch he hopes to go back to the usual update schedule thingy?

Badboyz
Cadet

Posted: 2004-01-17 12:00   
DO ANY OF U PLAY WARHAMMER??

well maybe a good idea for a new faction would be based on somthing like the NECRONS they are completey a metalic race i have loads and loads of picture s ideas plans and stuff already drawn up .. if only faustus would realize my talents =( im very good at designing .. so if u have any probs designingnew ships i have all ready got about 300 drawn up designs with are very good ..(and arnt in crayon )

hear no evil speak no evil see no evil .. until u meet me

Goto the website of Badboyz
Bobamelius
Grand Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2004-01-17 12:07   
The Necrons rule

I am Not a happy camper.

[ This Message was edited by: Bobamelius on 2004-01-17 12:07 ]

Email Bobamelius
Coalition
Cadet

Posted: 2004-02-17 06:35   
Or Berserkers (Saberhagan style).

If you are doing Necrons, then their ships would be very powerful, but horribly expensive. So a scout would cost as much as a cruiser, but would have similar firepower levels.

For Necron similar capability, planets would develop troops slowly, but they could gate from one world to another, that is under attack. So if you invade Luna, troops from Ganymede will start showing up. Higher up in the tree, you could get ship gating capability, allowing ships to immediately return to a planet under attack. They will have a small fleet, but it will be everywhere, defensively.

Machine Race options:

One option, might be for the Machine race to automatically regenerate, but it requires Metals on board to do so (figure like Repair, but each 5 Metal counts as 1 Supply).

For population, each building could be fully automated (no pop needed), but a higher initial cost. Production would be faster, but research would take longer.

Similar effect for troops. Barracks would develop them faster, but they gain grade slower (if at all). Maybe 30 sec to build troops, but they never get better than average.

A Machine Space Station could be a giant sphere, with weapons all around, and its own extractor (Extractors used to refill Supply modules). Maybe even a pair of HEAVY beams, slow firing, but ships take horrendous damage under them (useless as PD though).

Heavy Metals would get converted to Supply on a 2:1 ratio.

I like Necrons too (BFG-List member). Warscythes are next (Necron warfleet).

One Option might be an "Invasion Fleet scenario":

Essentially, a single system is chosen (no prestige gained from combat).

The invasion fleet has ~20 stations, a bunch of dreadnoughts, and hordes of smaller stuff.

The AI ruels for the invasion fleet are:

1) If ship larger than self appears, attack it.
2) If attacked, attack enemy.

So players start on one side of the system, and begin building up planets, getting tech, and industry made up. They start deploying larger warships, and attacking the alien fleet. The players learn one thing quick:

If they attack with a cruiser, all vessels destroyer sized and smaller return fire (etc for larger vessels. Hint, don't attack w/ a station immediately).

When the player attacks with a scout, only the targeted scout (or larger) returns fire.

So players have to steadily warp in, destroy a ship, and warp out. If they leave the fleet, the targeted vessel gets repaired.

So the players have to deal with the fleet as it proceeds further in, taking out their colonies, and their support base.

Best effect, is if construction vessels are not allowed in this scenario, to simulate the effect of losing colonies as the aliens attack.

(For those who recognize it, Ork Waaaggghhh!!!)

philll
Admiral

Posted: 2004-02-17 07:37   
read my new forum for an idea

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.025487 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR