No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +5.4 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Chubba

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Super Carriers
 Author Super Carriers
Firestorm
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2003-12-31 12:50   
Personally, I think that each faction should recieve their own "Super Carrier." A vary large ship approaching the size of a station that carries almost nothing but fighters and point defense, it would also go well with the fighter mods that was posted earlier. The UGTO would get the Agencourt-Class Carrier from the fan fiction forum, and the ICC should get an Eddings-Class Carrier, while the K'Luth could get a something similar to a hive.

Also I have ideas on some new weapons. For example, a cannon called the Gauss Rifle that happens to be in the heavy weapons class, but is strong enough to actually damage ships now.

Or the Friend-or-Foe missile, a short-range (or long-range) missile that can be fired at random without a target. It should automatically search for enemies within a certain distance of it and pursue them. If it can't find any, it should just fly in a straight line.

The autocannons should be weapons of various sizes and strengths that will be much like a railgun except require ammo and be more powerful.

Maybe some new hazards out in deep space like more entities or new creatures. Comets and meteors that appear at random or solar flares that come off stars.

The scenery could look better too. Adding moving objects: comets, meteors, asteroids, galaxies, black hole-like things, star-clusters and other objects in the background would make the game look more interesting and pretty.

Lastly, non-lethal solar flares should come off stars too and cause effects in some planets like the nothern and southern lights. I bet they would look great with visible cityscapes on the planets.

McSwindle
Admiral

Posted: 2003-12-31 12:54   
Mmmmmm... LAGGY!

Email McSwindle
Antdizzle

Posted: 2003-12-31 12:57   
hmmmmmm..kluth no ....ugto no ......icc no .....

Gideon
Cadet

Posted: 2003-12-31 13:09   
Quote:

On 2003-12-31 12:50, Firestorm wrote:
Personally, I think that each faction should recieve their own "Super Carrier." A vary large ship approaching the size of a station that carries almost nothing but fighters and point defense, it would also go well with the fighter mods that was posted earlier. The UGTO would get the Agencourt-Class Carrier from the fan fiction forum, and the ICC should get an Eddings-Class Carrier, while the K'Luth could get a something similar to a hive.

Or, we could just make the UGTO carrier dread, and the stations work correctly according to intended design, and not have to add anything new to replace things we have that don't work.

Quote:

Also I have ideas on some new weapons. For example, a cannon called the Gauss Rifle that happens to be in the heavy weapons class, but is strong enough to actually damage ships now.

Or, we could just make the Gauss Gun work correctly and do appropriate damage, and not have to add anything new.

Quote:

Or the Friend-or-Foe missile, a short-range (or long-range) missile that can be fired at random without a target. It should automatically search for enemies within a certain distance of it and pursue them. If it can't find any, it should just fly in a straight line.

Interesting. Perhaps as a function for the PCM, after it and it's controlling AI get a major overhaul. Turn it into a smart missile. I'll go you one better, in that it would automatically fly around obstructions, like a cruise missile, in order to reach it's target.

Quote:

The autocannons should be weapons of various sizes and strengths that will be much like a railgun except require ammo and be more powerful.

Or, we could de-suck the Railgun, and not have to add anything new.

Quote:

Maybe some new hazards out in deep space like more entities or new creatures. Comets and meteors that appear at random or solar flares that come off stars.

The scenery could look better too. Adding moving objects: comets, meteors, asteroids, galaxies, black hole-like things, star-clusters and other objects in the background would make the game look more interesting and pretty.

Such things are on our to-do list, though the scale of objects like star-clusters and galaxys would preclude them from having any real visable movement or usefulness in the game.

Quote:

Lastly, non-lethal solar flares should come off stars too and cause effects in some planets like the nothern and southern lights. I bet they would look great with visible cityscapes on the planets.

I'm thinking that a eruption of solar plasma would be pretty lethal. We are not against adding random events to "spice the game up", and have several things on our to-do list towards this end. Northern and southern lights are probably a bit beyond the scope of the DS game engine as you would have to be on a planet to really see them. Also, individual buildings on planets is way beyond the scope of our game engine. Can you imagine just how much pain being able to zoom in that far would inflict on client PCs?

Email Gideon
Sandals
Fleet Admiral
Agents

Posted: 2003-12-31 13:16   
Ahhh, but it would be pleasurable pain.

Sovereign
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2003-12-31 17:06   
A super carrier is pretty much a flagship (or fleet carrier some may call it) which is in the works now anyways, at least I think so.

=Shadow-Drakken= *SA-X*
Cadet

Posted: 2003-12-31 17:16   
Thats a great idea =D

Goto the website of =Shadow-Drakken= *SA-X*
Firestorm
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2003-12-31 18:23   
I like the idea for the PCM, and BTW, I made a mistake and didn't mean for the galaxies, star-clusters, and black hole-like objects to be moving, but actually part of the background, like the nebulae you see in most of the maps (a.k.a. the scenery that you can change in the map editor).

Page created in 0.013988 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR