No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +2.7 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Automatic Defenses
 Author Automatic Defenses
UnknownWarrior
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2003-12-30 20:33   
Of course we all know of the automatic defenses on planets and deathstars etc.

Now i was thinking that the player ships could have automated defense turrets for their own protection. What i had in mind, was a low based level of laser or short beam.

IMO this would be like a RailGun, Psi Cannon etc. And if it was to be a Beam Cannon type, it would only be a CL300 or Pulse Laser(ICC Only of course) Since those two beam types do mainly no damage at all to other ships.

Here is how the defense turret system would work for all races

Scout: 0 Turrets(Dont need em due to speed)
Frigate: 2 Turrets(one on each side)
Destroyer: 4(one on front, portside, starboard, and rear, or two on port and starboard sides)
Cruiser: 6
Dreadnought: 8
Station: 10
Engineer: 2
Transport: 2
Extractor: 2

See the bigger the ship we all know they move a little slower, so this would mean the bigger the ship, they would have two more turrets than the ship class under them. Another suggestion for this is a numbering system, this way you could aim a certain amount of turrets to fire on one target. Hint word CERTAIN since we dont need a stations main complement of weapons plus ten more firing on one ship at a time, that would be a little bit of over kill per say.

So to use these turrets, you would use the Numbering Buttons on the keyboard on the Backspace row, for easy reach.

Another suggestion(developers can insert if they want)Would be each turret would have a certain area they could fire, like our current portside and starboard weapons used on the Minelayer Dessie on the ICC and the Manadible on the Kluth. They could have just basic fireing arcs, or just be certain weapons that could deal just slight bits of things, or have a mixed variety.

Now of course, Modding the weapon turrets to different weapons will be of course at the Developing Teams descretion.

Now you guys can flame me all you want, im not asking for this to go in right away, i was thinking more along the lines of 2005 or 2006, maybe late 2004 if we can get the 1.482 patch to come out after the 1.481 patch we are currently waiting for

Just my two cents

-Raven

[ This Message was edited by: Raven on 2003-12-30 20:37 ]

Email UnknownWarrior
NoPants2win
Cadet

Posted: 2003-12-30 21:19   
I frankly don't see the use. How are these beam turrets any different then the ones we have now? Why would you want a pulse beam that fires at ships? Also, I don't really want stupid AI controlling my weapons and wasting my energy by fireing ineffectively. I can control my weapons better myself. Even worse, it will probably cause a lot of friendly fire. I know current point defense is a bit buggy, and point defense weapons aren't performing as well as they might, but I fail to see the need for these turrets.

Goto the website of NoPants2win
Sonlox ~hes that sexy~
Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2003-12-30 21:28   
well not a bad idea...keep them coming

waiting for 1.483 since September 10, 2004

Goto the website of Sonlox ~hes that sexy~
Tiffy Rando
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2003-12-30 21:30   
While we're on the subject... I don't know how hard this would be to code, but a little PD coodination between different ships would be nice... so no two ships fire their PD lasers at the same target, the way they do now

I've seen a lot of shots wasted because of that

$yTHe {C?}
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2003-12-31 11:37   
@Pants...

I think he means turrets of weapons that automatically attack enemy ships nearby, not just the missiles and fighters that they do now

A Troll =SSC=
Cadet

Posted: 2003-12-31 12:31   
i was thinking the turrets should be AAA turrets that shoot down fighters and incoming missles but on bigger ships the turrets should have enough power to damage other enemy ships.They would fire only if given standing orders such as engage enemy air,engage ships, or engage all. Otherwise they would be inactive and not draining energy.

Email A Troll =SSC=
Gideon
Cadet

Posted: 2003-12-31 12:41   
Okay, here is the deal. There are a few issues, depending on what exactly we are talking about here.

Issue 1: Weapons (any offensive device) that automatically attack other players.

This is right out. No way. Taking control away from the player, and placing it in the realm of an automated system is detrimental to the gameplay theme we are following. It would bring DS closer to EvE, and further away from being a distinct product. It would also reduce the ammount of control players would exercise over their ships. This is all detrimental from our perspective.

Issue 2: Projectile weapons (any non-beam) that is used for point defense.

Issue 2a: Code does not support non-beam weapons damaging projectile class objects (namely, fighters and missiles) with the exception of the pulse shield. This is to be addressed, in line with certain plans we have for fighter vs fighter/missile/bomb combat.

Issue 2b: Here is the meat of the situation. We have been tossing around, on and off, eliminating beams as the primary point defense device. Beam weapons would move to being primarily for ship to ship. You could use them for point defense, but fire rate, power requirements, and limited numbers present would all work against them being terribly useful as defense weaponry. A sort of flak cannon and a possible anti-fighter/missile/bomb missile launcher would be created as options for the small weapon slot. Accompanying this would be a general rework of the overal beam and weapon slot placements and number.

The problem this creates is that it massivly changes the feel of DarkSpace. While I am personally inclined to follow this route, it would majorly change how the game feels while playing it. This is no small thing, and must be concidered very carefully. Such a deep and important discussion has not taken place (we would definatly require Faustus to lead such a discussion), so for the forseeable future beams are the primary defense weapon.

Email Gideon
Page created in 0.053052 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR