No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +5.5 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Chubba

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » UGTO reply to Ambush Mode
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author UGTO reply to Ambush Mode
Max Kepler
Fleet Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2003-12-27 15:12   
I just decided to start a new topic for this one, though I advise you read Barthezzz's post here for the balancing issue.

First of all, I love Barthezzz's idea, and I like the idea that there should be a 3-5 second startup/shutdown time... just... because Anyway, on to the idea...

Name: Sensor Decoy System (SDS)
Price: Same as SIF or LDF (or whatever they were)
Slot: Special
UGTO Only

This device, when a UGTO is stopped, will project three fake UGTO ships into nearby space that will stay there until destroyed or until the UGTO ship moves (with the same name, specs, and damage of the ship using it). These fake ships will not be able to move, but _will_ fire on enemy ships. Of course, the weapons will do no damage. The device will use up some power, but not a whole lot. Once the ships are projected, the ship using it CAN move, but it will simply deactivate the fakes. Shooting one of the fake ships will destroy it (1 hitpoint).

The purpose of this device is to confuse enemy ships either entering a system, attacking a fleet, or whatever. It could also be used to scare away enemies...

Scenario 1:
*ICC ship enters system through JG, sees 12 UGTO ships*
"OH MY----"
*sees all the ships firing on him*
"AHHH!"
*goes back through JG*

Scenario 2:
*K'luth enters through JG cloaked, sees 8 UGTO ships*
*surveys situation, knows there are fakes*
"Maybe its this one..."
*alphas one of the ships, the fake disappears*
"Uh oh..."
*real UGTO ships (and fakes) start firing on him*

You get the idea

EDIT:
As an after note, this is not really intended to work on Stations so much, since that would just be.... well, the energy required to make a fake station signature would be insanely high.

We are open for new Initiates. Click here for more info.
Fleet Page

[ This Message was edited by: Max Kepler on 2004-01-01 20:29 ]

Email Max Kepler   Goto the website of Max Kepler
Axianda The Royal
Fleet Admiral
Terra Squadron

Posted: 2003-12-27 15:49   
hrm Hologram decoys?

- Axi

DarkWard
Chief Marshal
Team Germany

Posted: 2003-12-27 16:06   
This would fit to my idea I had long time ago, a device called ship displacement generator. Basically it projects the image of the ship somewhere around the actual location within 200 gu for example).

- DW

Antdizzle

Posted: 2003-12-27 18:36   
i like along w/ the SIF for icc

Ceridan
Cadet

Posted: 2003-12-27 18:42   
Quote:

On 2003-12-27 16:06, DarkWard wrote:
This would fit to my idea I had long time ago, a device called ship displacement generator. Basically it projects the image of the ship somewhere around the actual location within 200 gu for example).

- DW

*Ceridan reads the reply and then think of a Displacer Beast( in AD&D) but in the DS universe*

stuck in Univercity limbo

Russian Roulette with Muskets
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2003-12-27 18:51   
since it is so easy destroyed, the fake should be able to move around and such.

It will do the same the projectin ship does.
(the position of the fake should be chosen randomly within 500 gu radius of the true ship)

this will increase power consumption, the faster the more power.
Same with weapons, to project aditional holographic images (the projektiles for example) even more power is needed.

Power usage should also be smaller on smaller ships and scale up with ship size.

(why not let 1 scout have 4 fake images? would realy increse their lifespan without actualy increasing their combat abilitys)

Flux waves should destabilize the images, destroying them

Patryn
Cadet
Evil Empires Inc.

Posted: 2003-12-27 19:31   
Quite amazing actually that the reverse of Entropy happens in this Thread.

What actually amazes me is the fact as one simple idea has now grown into something utterly ridiculous.

Icc was looking for something to balance the scales between the 3 factions, since we Kluth have the cloak, and UGTO has the ever annoying Flux. But it never seems like peeps are satisfied with what they have so generously been given to enjoy this game.

Always the point is lost.

Signature size too large, please resize.

What do you see when you t

DarkWard
Chief Marshal
Team Germany

Posted: 2003-12-27 20:44   
it's not about balance, it about gadgets....

a dispaclement generator will certainly move with the ship.... tho with the cost of energy.

Daylight \"The Beginning\"
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2003-12-27 21:00   
Hay...this K'luth likes it..sounds neat and adds to our game play big time...Anything that adds to the need for using tactics rather than smashing the space bar works for me...sound perty cool!

Email Daylight \
Raiders
Cadet

Posted: 2003-12-27 22:49   
I like it too. Now to just figure out something for the kluth....

Death is just the first step along an unknown path

Email Raiders
Barthezzz
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2003-12-28 05:10   
Sounds cool to me, i think it would be better to Not Let the Fake ships shoot but to let them move instead.

This will gives cruiser class ships and below an advantage; They can freely fly around the enemy ship and the enemy will have no clue who the real ship is.

The only way they could see it would be by keeping an eye on where the shots are coming from.

Also Splash damage should not harm the fakes.
Otherwise it would be to easy to destroy them by accident

This weapon would be great for flux scouts

Oh and all /t messages to the fake ships should be forwarded to the real player

Goto the website of Barthezzz
Koffi Khan
Cadet

Posted: 2003-12-28 08:34   
my 2 cents....

it is a projection from a ships device so i see no need for a hologram of mere light to be destroyed by direct or splash damage.

however this energy projection can be distorted by energy fluctuations internal or external to the ship. This means that if the fakes are hit by either direct fire or splash damage they will shudder or flash or some other special effect. (depending on the intensity of energy more intense special effect) this would also mean that if the ship is cruising around a planet the fakes would look real and would scare the hell outta any other ships (going with the whole intimidation thing) and in small scale battle slow to average speeds will allow a reliastic fake. However if the ship speeds up to high speeds your fakes will be useless as they will screw up also mashing the space bar for alpha's all the time will mess em up too.

If u have a pilot who can control his ship so as to keep the fakes realistic enough (using weapons wisely etc) then it can be a real advantage.

It would take some skill and practise to master the art of this potential addition to the UGTO armory.

also other things like flux and pulse waves and anything else u can think of would mess the fakes up

i think that this system of using the holograms would require some skill on the other factions as well...the holograms are easily disrupted but u would need to keep your eye on em or else....with several ships flying round with the fakes up and running it would be hard to track each indivdual fake.

anyway love the idea and jus decided to put in some idea's bout it

u may or may not like em?

A Troll =SSC=
Cadet

Posted: 2003-12-28 10:13   
About the fake ships,well in Emperor:Battle for Dune they had a unit that created fake units but here's the catch the units did damage when they engaged the enemy but disintegrating when they were damaged, run over or touched by a enemy unit.I was thinking that the fake ships did damage but if u damaged the fake it would disappear.

Email A Troll =SSC=
Koffi Khan
Cadet

Posted: 2003-12-28 10:18   
it might be good but i think it would be stretching from the whole hologram idea i mean how could it actually do damage....its more for intimidation and confusion...methinks anyway

Axianda The Royal
Fleet Admiral
Terra Squadron

Posted: 2003-12-28 10:21   
Well after seeing some AI ships i noticed that some of em fly in formation.

i've seen 5 destroyers in a nice wedge formation.

If we could add to the device some sort of way to CHOOSE your position in such a formation then it would solve the problem of " oh just shoot the center one thats always the real ship ".

Also they wont fire but if YOU fire then and the nmy sees it then your fried cuz he will know which on to fire on.

- Axi

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.022231 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR