No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +2.8 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Dreads
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author Dreads
Keja Dogo {C?} (Master windoo)
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2003-12-24 07:02   
It's been a while since i posted an idea in the forums to bare with me...

Basically, we all know dreads are not as powerfull as they used to/should be, this as alot of us know is to do with the fact that F decided to make the recharge rate of larger ships jump drives slower, in order to stop dreads jumping on the smaller ships, allthough his intetions being sound i think that this is kinda a crapy way to fix a problem. It's basically ruined dreads and given the smaller ships too much of an advantage in the field.

So what do you do with dreads? well considering F is VERY unlikely to to change it back so dreads have the same jump drive times, (something that i wouldn't want to happen anyway, allthough i think the difference should be toned some) dreads need another advantage.

Atm, the only advantage dreads have is more wepons, and a slightly more durable hull and as we can see, this isn't a very effective advantage, so giving them more just would make any differnce.

I think all dreads should have repair crews. I think it is silly that something the size of a dread only has a crew capable of repairing ONE system at a time the same as a scout or a frigate. So what i sujest is that a scout can repair 1 system, a frigate 2, a destroyer 3, a cruiser 4, a dread 5, and a station 6 at a time.

You could also have another type of unit that sit in cargo and repair the ship, called, REPAIR CREWS. Each unit could repair 1 sytem at once, thus giving dreads an advantage in another way. (These units would be working on the outboard systems so would get damaged if repairing in combat.)

P.S this is NOT an idea for realism, i am aware that F's goal is not realism it just happens that this idea is quite realistic

\"If you place a thing in the center of your life, that lacks the power to norish, it will eventually poison everything that you are, and destroy you. As simple a thing as an idea, or your perspective of your se

Barthezzz
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2003-12-24 07:09   
Sounds like a plan

Goto the website of Barthezzz
Archon
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2003-12-24 07:21   
the idea of an advantage is cool, but would the dreads get too powerful again?

~Insanity Is Only The Beginning~

Email Archon
Keja Dogo {C?} (Master windoo)
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2003-12-24 07:27   
you gotta look at dreads as they are now, right now they only have an advantage of a few more weapons, and a bit more hull.

\"If you place a thing in the center of your life, that lacks the power to norish, it will eventually poison everything that you are, and destroy you. As simple a thing as an idea, or your perspective of your se

Archon
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2003-12-24 07:31   
but do we want them so strong its unfair for the lil ships. it might turn ppl off.

~Insanity Is Only The Beginning~

Email Archon
Barthezzz
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2003-12-24 07:53   
Of course we do.
Thats the entire point of the game, you play the game to get points and a higher rank so you can get bigger and Better ships then newbies.

As for turning people, Every game in the universe uses this system.
Giving n00bs better ships then Vets is stupid.

PuppetMaster[**]
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2003-12-24 07:59   
Quote:

the idea of an advantage is cool, but would the dreads get too powerful again?

dreads *are* supposed to be powerful. their only purpose is to go in, fry everything, go out. their only purpose is to burst a firestorm that can lighten hell up.

Quote:

but do we want them so strong its unfair for the lil ships. it might turn ppl off.

what smaller ships? frigates? dessies? or cruisers? frigates are supposed to do the recon work for a fleet, dessies go against those frigates, other dessies and as a team against cruisers.
the only opponents a dread should have are other dreads and cruiser, may it be hvy cruisers or ac/bc.
if someone thinks to go in a single dessie against a dread, his problem...

i want dreads to be as they were once. when youve seen one it was too late to pray. maybe not exactly as they were once; not that they can melt down a whole fleet, but maybe 3/4 of a fleet

but anyway: this wont happen ever. but i like the idea of the repair crews

greetz
PM

total_chaoz
Admiral

Posted: 2003-12-24 08:21   
Quote:

On 2003-12-24 07:59, PuppetMaster[**] wrote:

dreads *are* supposed to be powerful. their only purpose is to go in, fry everything, go out. their only purpose is to burst a firestorm that can lighten hell up.

"What Hath God Wraught"

[ This Message was edited by: Total_Chaoz*E* on 2003-12-24 08:29 ]

\"What Hath God Wraught\"

Email total_chaoz
Sorn Duskryn -{Shadewalker}- -VA-
Cadet

Posted: 2003-12-24 08:22   
i like the idea...

dreads like those now arent as strong as they should be!!!

Email Sorn Duskryn -{Shadewalker}- -VA-   Goto the website of Sorn Duskryn -{Shadewalker}- -VA-
PuppetMaster[**]
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2003-12-24 08:58   
Quote:

On 2003-12-24 08:21, Total_Chaoz*E* wrote:

definetly, That is the whole point of gaining ranks is to get bigger ships to own the equivelent of its class and below,there is allways a bigger ship

[...]

No No No when i joined it was still when dreads owned and that got me to subscribe, i wanted them and i played 24/7 till i got them

that's what i think, too

i know it's F's game: his game, his rules. but a little more democracy would be nice. he never asked us, if we like those dreads today (at least i don't know about whether he asked or not). i know many players that want the old-style dreads back and the old-style kluth with lots of firepower and a paper hull. but first the dreads got nerfed, then the roaches, ac will be next. and sooner or later shipps will all be the same, except for their size...

no, im not whining and yes i know remembering the "good ol' days" is off topic and politically not correct. so what?

greetz
PM

I am number one
Don't matter if ya like, hear take it, sit down and write it
- Nelly

[ This Message was edited by: PuppetMaster[**] on 2003-12-24 08:59 ]

Daylight \"The Beginning\"
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2003-12-24 09:00   
Dreads should be, well, a thing to DREAD...HOLY people... what good is a dread that can be toasted by a ship a quarter its sizes...I think dreads should be able to weigh into half a dozen small ships and destroy or scatter them like ducks on a pond on opening moring.... BOOM, dead little ships...and when two dreads meet....OMG it should be EPIC and something to see.

Now at the same time, they should be slow of the old jump drive and thats so a FLEET can take one down. Making the use of dreads and stations something that is used VERY carefully and with support.

I would also like to see dreads be INSANELY expencive!!!! we need to care for our dreads and love them...I saw a post awhile back about having special improvements to ships that have survived...they get rank like players...That I would love to see too...incentive to guard them with incentive to use them..hehehehe

[ This Message was edited by: Daylight (The Beginning) on 2003-12-24 09:04 ]

Email Daylight \
Lupino
Cadet

Posted: 2003-12-24 09:52   
Heck, just put modifiers on any weapons/armor they carry; i.e. Hvy armor on a dread is x5 more powerful then Hvy armor on a cruiser, or something like that

IronDuke
Cadet

Posted: 2003-12-24 10:13   
I think dreads should be more powerful, but slower, in overall speed and acceleration. At the moment it common to see dreads chasing even catching smaller warships. A dread should be able to own smaller ships in combat but the smaller ships should have a good chance to disengage, through speed at the moment the speed differential is to small.

Barthezzz
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2003-12-24 10:21   
Actually Faustus never made any changes to the dreads.
It’s the changes to Weapons and hull/Armor values that pushed the dreads out of their position.
Hulls become a lot stronger, weapons do slightly more damage, The Energy system got changed, etc all this together made the dreads suck.

I wouldn’t worry though, the Balance patch will change the layout of every ship in ds.
Dreads will be beasts, just look at the bomber dread, it will have 9 MIRV bays

Bigwolfe
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2003-12-24 10:45   
i need to get me a bomber dread

Email Bigwolfe
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.025085 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR