Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +2.7 Days

Search

Anniversaries

20th - Relient
19th - Entil-Zha the Starkiller

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Energy Management screen
 Author Energy Management screen
Sicksence
Cadet

Posted: 2003-12-13 14:36   
I was busy killing people the other day when as usual my systems went down and i died, and i thought to myself in the last closing moments that i wish a could put all the remaining energy into just one or two systems instead of all systems trying to come back online at once!

I mean if it were real life they wouldnt bother putting power into weapons if they were in serious trouble, you'd try and run!

So i came up with the idea of an energy management system!
A screen not to different from the the F3 screen, were you could set up 3 (or more) different energy configs.

For example one to push more power through weapons to finish an enemy off, one to route all power to the engines to give you a chance to escape, and one for shields/cloaks and other items such as ecm/eccm to give you a few more seconds in combat!

The energy configs would be activated by a hotkey (so long as there a key not already used ), so you dont have to loook away to much, and in the management screen you could choose how much you want the 3 different configs to effect the power distrbution, so you couls set it up that if you want all power to go to one systems or just 50% to one so you can still fight!

It's a bit complex and im sure it could be simplifed for newcomers e.g. have a set of presets, but i think it would make combat much more interesting or in the least add another aspect to it other than stearing and bashing the spacbar!

Email Sicksence
Bobamelius
Grand Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2003-12-13 14:40   
I always thought something like that would be nice...

Infantry Jettisoned...

[ This Message was edited by: Bobamelius {R.I.P. Beau} on 2003-12-13 14:40 ]

Email Bobamelius
Axianda The Royal
Fleet Admiral
Terra Squadron

Posted: 2003-12-13 14:53   
As i've heard a energy management system IS in the works or at least on the to do list.

dont ask me how it will work i dont know that.

- Axi

Antdizzle

Posted: 2003-12-13 15:00   
I Like. that would save me from some horrible death

Grimith
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2003-12-13 15:26   
~Yeah. Especially when your JD is like 98% recharged and you can jump if you just had a little bit more energy to finish the completion (eh... something like that... just think of JD problems)... if I could put all my power into it, I'd be able to run. Instead. shots to my back break the thing when it was so close to being ready.

Goto the website of Grimith
Ceridan
Cadet

Posted: 2003-12-13 15:28   
*Ceridan vote to have an nrg manager and a spelling checker that can be use in french classes:)

stuck in Univercity limbo

Gideon
Cadet

Posted: 2003-12-13 16:25   
Quote:

On 2003-12-13 14:36, Sicksence wrote:
I was busy killing people the other day when as usual my systems went down and i died, and i thought to myself in the last closing moments that i wish a could put all the remaining energy into just one or two systems instead of all systems trying to come back online at once!

I mean if it were real life they wouldnt bother putting power into weapons if they were in serious trouble, you'd try and run!

Yep.

Quote:

So i came up with the idea of an energy management system!
A screen not to different from the the F3 screen, were you could set up 3 (or more) different energy configs.

Actually, it could just be a part of the engineering screen. No need for a separate area.

Quote:

For example one to push more power through weapons to finish an enemy off, one to route all power to the engines to give you a chance to escape, and one for shields/cloaks and other items such as ecm/eccm to give you a few more seconds in combat!

The energy configs would be activated by a hotkey (so long as there a key not already used ), so you dont have to loook away to much, and in the management screen you could choose how much you want the 3 different configs to effect the power distrbution, so you couls set it up that if you want all power to go to one systems or just 50% to one so you can still fight!

How about a fourth hard-coded setting, which balances power between all systems, resetting you to default.

Quote:

It's a bit complex and im sure it could be simplifed for newcomers e.g. have a set of presets, but i think it would make combat much more interesting or in the least add another aspect to it other than stearing and bashing the spacbar!

Actually, it's "complex system, simple execution" which is great. A system which is complex in it's dynamics, yet simple in how players interact with it is a very good system.

I like this idea. It allows for player control on a detailed level (by setting preset levels) while giving the players a simple way to interact with it in combat (using hotkeys).

Have you concidered giving more than just three pre-sets? Let players define up to, say, six different levels, so that they can define power settings for a variety of situations.

Would you use the same presets for all ships, or would the settings be stored with each ship in the database, requiring you to define presets for each ship individually?

War is a history of mistakes. You hope you make fewer than the other guy.

[ This Message was edited by: Gideon on 2003-12-13 16:28 ]

Email Gideon
Sicksence
Cadet

Posted: 2003-12-13 16:46   
i just used three examples that i thought of, if anyone can think of more...ie above mention standard config, they should be added and i think its a good idea to include user defined presets for the stored ships in the MV.
Think of it as another way to mod your ships!

Email Sicksence
Axianda The Royal
Fleet Admiral
Terra Squadron

Posted: 2003-12-13 17:16   
would these be bound to 1 ship or would they affect all ships you take?

- Axi

Sicksence
Cadet

Posted: 2003-12-13 17:54   
You would have to have a different config for each ship type, cause a TC has much higher energy need than say a BC, so though it could be posible to have a universal set of configs i say it would make sence to have different sets for each ship type.

Email Sicksence
PuppetMaster[**]
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2003-12-13 18:00   
Quote:

On 2003-12-13 16:25, Gideon wrote:

Actually, it could just be a part of the engineering screen. No need for a separate area.

I'd prefer it in the Numpad1 helm. Maybe somewhere close to the "Find next supply/Depot" icon...

Tiffy Rando
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2003-12-13 21:03   
No Num pad is already used for shield rotation...

Maybe the pre-made stting could be bound to the F1 F2 F3 keys...

It's a great Idea... anyone who's ever played any of the X-wing sims would know... being able to siphon energy is extrmely useful.

Actually mentioning that, the ability to drain shields to power weapons or engines would also be quite useful.

I'll leave the rest up to you programmers...

Make it work, please, sometime within this century

Max Kepler
Fleet Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2003-12-14 00:16   
Wait, are we talking about devoting a certain percentage of power, or having some kind of new system where you can boost some things to the detriment of others?

Say we are taking all our energy from shields and putting it into weapons, and say you are out of power (0 on the energy reserve). Would doing this simply let all the weapons recharge at once (instead of only recharging as many as it can) or actually boost the recharge time? Or both?

Email Max Kepler   Goto the website of Max Kepler
Page created in 0.023793 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR