Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +2.6 Days

Search

Anniversaries

20th - Relient
19th - Entil-Zha the Starkiller

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Orbiting planets should be less stressfull
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author Orbiting planets should be less stressfull
unknown force
Cadet

Posted: 2003-12-03 18:06   
Its always annoying when your ship lags into a planet or you hit a planet that has a very close orbit requirement.
Don't see why it needs to be so difficult.
I think the game would be more enjoyable if orbiting planets was not a source of stress. There are plenty of sources for that already.
Would be nice if you could orbit a planet without worring about crashing into the planet. How about a wider safety margin?

SmellyTerror
Cadet

Posted: 2003-12-03 18:15   
I've only ever had a problem with it when I smack into a moon, and I run with about 500 ping... How often does it happen to you?

Oh, there are the times when I abort a jump because of massive enemy presence, but forget that I left the "Orbit" lock on while I scan the map for a safe harbour. MV folk must think I have some kind of plan which involves sending my supply ship into enemy dread fleets. A very very bad plan.

Hmmm, who's the poor fool flying straight into that fleet?

Bleep bleep bleepeepeepeepeepeepeepeep (about a thousand enemy contacts hitting the boards)

Oh. It's me.

Koda
Marshal
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2003-12-03 18:46   
/me looks at a tally of 150+ planet collisions ...

One thing that Ive been finding works is to look at your Latency [ ALT + P ] to determine if its a good idea to Orbit or not.

I agree that Orbiting is a big Pain in the rear... If our ships were a lot smaller or planets be bigger.. I dont know the best solution.

[ This Message was edited by: CharAznable on 2003-12-03 18:46 ]

NoPants2win
Cadet

Posted: 2003-12-03 19:24   
I smack planet all the time. I usually try to take a screenie of it. I plan to make a massive flash movie later of all the planets I've hit, in different ships from all 3 factions. It sets you back what? 5 minutes? I dont get too worked up about it.

Goto the website of NoPants2win
Doran
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2003-12-03 22:14   
[edit]

its not really a problem unless your laggin (which happens) or in a crusier or larger (which is most likely a hit box issue and those shield/armor rings are a lot bigger across the width of ship than they need to be. they fine front to back tho)

Quote:

On 2003-12-03 18:46, CharAznable wrote:
One thing that Ive been finding works is to look at your Latency [ ALT + P ] to determine if its a good idea to Orbit or not.

thats another idea, keep ping and fps data on alt+p but strip out the rest of stuff there (dont know what most of it is, and i dont code/model or otherwise have any use for it) and put it into small hud along the top of the screen (over near the group tab maybe)

/me wraps it up
orbiting isnt overly stressfull (cept maybe with S1) but ill agree it could be less so

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2003-12-03 23:48   
S1 requires skill though.

If the planet keep track of how many people crash into them, then for S1, they wouild have to invent a new word for the number it would be so much.

-Ent

warren
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2003-12-05 08:09   
i think the armour cricles need to be smaller on ships especially the stations armour cricle i cant count how many times my armour just nicked the planets and i went boom.

Koda
Marshal
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2003-12-05 09:46   
Quote:

On 2003-12-05 08:09, Warren wrote:
i think the armour cricles need to be smaller on ships especially the stations armour cricle i cant count how many times my armour just nicked the planets and i went boom.

Yeah, that would be a great solution.

Wyke {ThorsHammer}
Cadet

Posted: 2003-12-05 12:04   
Quote:

On 2003-12-03 18:06, unknown force wrote:
Its always annoying when your ship lags into a planet or you hit a planet that has a very close orbit requirement.
Don't see why it needs to be so difficult.
I think the game would be more enjoyable if orbiting planets was not a source of stress. There are plenty of sources for that already.
Would be nice if you could orbit a planet without worring about crashing into the planet. How about a wider safety margin?

Well said I would be quite happy for planet collisions to be removed absolutely. It is not much of a jump to conclude that the avionics systems, fly-by-wire and navigation computers of star-ships make planetary collisions so remote a possibility as to be effectively impossible.

--additions--

We already see this idea in action, since ships never collide, despite the erratic manouvours required of them by their player captains, a much more difficult task for navigation/avoinics computer, than avoiding a retro-grade orbit.

A game play possibility could be that smallers ships (i.e. dessies or smaller) are actually landing on the planet. Or that orbital bouys and/or tugs automatically orbit [larger] ships in space-docks/quay (not shipyards/dry-dock) where ships are constructed and repaired.

At the moment all ships orbits are geostationary orbits, i.e. above the same point on the ground all the time. However this will change with the next version of DS with planet surfaces rotating below; these game orbits will become HE[P]O, High Earth [Planet] orbit. A geostationary orbit is ~36k km for earth, anything above this is a transfer orbit, where an object escapes the planets gravity naturally over time. It seems more likely that ships parked in orbit would be above the transfer point not below it.

Also how about ships in orbit actually orbiting the planet ? The ships could move around the planet at the same speed at the surface.

removing planet collisions would improve game play and it will become more realistic!

[ This Message was edited by: Wyke on 2003-12-05 12:54 ]

Email Wyke {ThorsHammer}
Starfleet.
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2003-12-05 12:27   
i think it's more a problem of connection or computer because i never had problems with orbiting planets, i don't think this problem comes from the game itself

Email Starfleet.
Gideon
Cadet

Posted: 2003-12-05 13:00   
Heh, most of my planet collisions come from a time way back when every third time you would go to orbit a planet, you would lag and crash into it. The rest are from stupid mistakes on my part.

I have absolutly no problems with orbiting right now. Perhaps it's some kind of lag between your client and the servers? Use alt-p to check your connection stats. The "Offset" readout should give you an idea of your lag. A reading of zero is normal. Any positive or negative number indicates that you are out of sync with the servers.

Email Gideon
DOM700 [-IMO-]
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2003-12-05 14:03   
same here Gid, but still I am proud of those

Never forget what you fight for
I have earned my betatester badge for being part of the open beta

Email DOM700 [-IMO-]   Goto the website of DOM700 [-IMO-]
Grimith
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2003-12-05 15:32   
~Though there have been a few times that I've crashed into a planet while sitting absolutely still or my armor ring just barely nicked it, I can't really complain. A bit of my collisions are due to lag from me having other programs open which knock me out of AIM (hence why I also have more deaths. People choose to IM right when I'm in the middle of nowhere instead of at a safety zone). My fault, as I don't disable Norton for the moment or knock up an away message on AIM.

~Besides those moments (and the times where my computer's been on for more than five days), I'm able to orbit just fine. Unless the servers are stuttering... or my ship's autopilot is too stupid to slow down quick enough (I try to manual as much as possible these days after seeing that )... or I'm in the middle of swerving with a scout and kiss the dirt...... I manage to orbit just fine.

Goto the website of Grimith
Novacat
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2003-12-05 15:54   
One of the solutions is to have a model-hitbox instad of a bubble, that should reduce planetary collissions considerably

Goto the website of Novacat
Bigwolfe
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2003-12-05 21:18   
true! i had a problem yesterday that i jumped to a planet, it was white line, clear, nothing ahead of me....i jumped, i got there, as i put my ship on orbit mode to Ooi, and Boom, my ship explored 93.9 GU from a planet really small....i lost 70k on that ship and the worst part is i just modded it LOL....
not to mention i couldn't respawn...

Email Bigwolfe
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.023768 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR