No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +5.9 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Sir Oblivion {C?}

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Customizing Ships
 Author Customizing Ships
Sovereign
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2003-11-19 18:36   
I've read suggestions that ships should be able to be customized. Some said change names and so and so. I think it should go farther than that, if possible thats is.

With shipyards coming out and having to 'build' ships, why not make a 'plan' with which to build a ship. There could be another option in the shipyard to customize ships. Creat-a-name and adding/deleting slots.

For adding/deleting slots, I think it should be done with your own credits, not to mention some planet resources. Adding a slot requires enough cargo space. Removing a current slot would increase the space available but also comes at a cost. Each 'chassis' would be empty and have a fixed amount of cargo space with which to customize with. Each chassis would also come at a price. Each slot type would come at a certain cost of credits and cargo space. Weapons and armor could be chosen to face a cardinal direction or for another cargo space, make it FULL. Slots do not come with equipment installed and must be bought at the starport from the customization screen. Certain ships must have a certain equipment installed to be bought and spawned, i.e. Engineering Ships must have a Build and supplies must have a Reload.

Feel free to say my idea is really stupid, it was only a five minute idea.

Bad_Skeelz
Cadet

Posted: 2003-11-19 18:42   
It MIGHT work, but you'd need to have some sort of limits. 6 slot ELF dreads or 12 eccm frigates anyone?

-Excerpt from Vice Admiral Skeelz's court-martial regarding the malignant boiling and eating of K'luth prisoners of war.

Email Bad_Skeelz
Tiggy
Midshipman
Terra Squadron

Posted: 2003-11-19 18:43   
I kind of agree, but it would be VERY hard to balance this out. Firstly, for armour and shielding, FULL should take 4 slots to be fair. And there should be sub-catagories of equipment types that are limited. For example...

An average AC would have a Armour/Shielding Max of 8, meaning you COULD fit a full and four flank shields, or even two full shields if you wish (Obviously not a good idea, but some people like it this way.) Then maybe a weapon max of, say, 12 (A normal weapon slot is 1, a heavy is 2 maybe? And a full arc costs another point.) And beam max of 4 (Once again, maybe the heavies take 2? Full arcs take another point?)

Of course, this is just a rough estimate. I like the idea, but IF it's implemented at all, I think It'll be a long time yet before anything is tdone about it.

Email Tiggy
Sovereign
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2003-11-19 18:51   
Quote:

On 2003-11-19 18:42, Bad_Skeelz wrote:
It MIGHT work, but you'd need to have some sort of limits. 6 slot ELF dreads or 12 eccm frigates anyone?

Each would ship have a limit of cargo spaces. So sticking that many on a ship would be stupid. Besides, ENGINES are slots too, and you MUST have them if you want to do anything. Engines would take the most space of any slot. Massive amounts of creds would be needed to make a super-powered ship so probably the only people capable of doing these things would be those that have been here a long long time.

Sandals
Fleet Admiral
Agents

Posted: 2003-11-19 20:24   
AFAIK this is the direction the game is moving. Not sure how the details would work out.

Koda
Marshal
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2003-11-19 20:43   
Good post/ idea..

i like the Idea that makking your ship should take some time for construction, and adding more building options.

whatever limits that are placed on " customizing " ones own ship, i hope that we might be able to get ship names.. maybe a base list and or a custom name.

and who knows, maybe if it takes a shipyard 1 min to build a stock ship.. Why not have it take a week to build and 10million creds for dream ship?
i would be willing to fight somebodys UBer L337 ship with a million weapons on it, if it took them that much to get one.

As Long As Something Interesting Happens Im For It!

Seresously At this point who cares anymore if someone has 20 Elf beams... Theres Still Flux,, Theres Still many other imballances to deal with.. why not go Crazy for a week

tyme 2 goe sTUpiD KrwazY

[ This Message was edited by: CharAznable on 2003-11-19 20:59 ]

[ This Message was edited by: TheEvilGriffin on 2003-11-20 00:41 ]

Starrest {SNM} {C?}
Cadet

Posted: 2003-11-20 01:38   
Not sure if I like it. I can just see an ICC capping station reconfiged with 8 pulse beams, freeing up more cargo room for inf. Without heavy weapon and weapon slots, plus the room you would gain changing heavy beam to beam, you could end up with over 32 cargo space (just estimating using a 1 slot = 1 cargo). That seems a bit unbalanced.

Pope
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2003-11-20 03:16   
I'ts definitely possible to balance fully custom ships. All you need is a set of base parameters and a few equations.. I've done it before

PS: Maybe i should add that it would most likely require a complete rework of the way the game handles slots, cargo, and ship properties to realize in DarkSpace... so.. uhnf.

[ This Message was edited by: Kamikaze Baron von Richthofen on 2003-11-20 03:18 ]

GunGrave
Cadet

Posted: 2003-11-20 04:23   
If you look at say master of orion and how ships there are configured.. it would mean a nice twist.. plus if say the lay-out of the ship would be shown and one could see visually the parts getting damaged it would help.. one would say try to turn a damaged side away from a enemy and use the good flank to continue firing..

(A diagram of the ship with the slots showing and what is in them.. turning from green to red as sections crumble on the hull..)

Plus why not.. one could say make 1 cruiser a heavy strike cruiser by going only for torpedoes and beams and another cruiser would be configured for anti rocket support kind of like a defense vessel.. the two would have to stick together to work.. each one helping the others weak points..

(The defense vessel could say launch anti missile missiles and have been loaded with pulse beams and shields to simply shield other vessels.. tho it won't last versus another ship attacking it.. (nor can it punch hard to other vessels..) the offensive cruiser can not shield itself against planets.. but is a killer versus other ships.. together capable.. seperate them.. and one is in trouble..)

People could make such vessels.. or go for a mix.. just what they would like.. say a close combat cruiser paring with a long range cruiser.. anything coming close the close combat cruiser would bring only beams to bear.. at long range the other can pound.. but at close range would be in trouble.. seeing the longer reload of the volleys..

Ever thought of say a cruiser with no shield, no armour and only rockets/torpedoes in it.. it's very weak.. but at long range it will give a pounding.. tho anything coming close will scrap it in a second..

Plus say one wants a supply ship.. for 1 reload one needs no badge, for 2 the silver badge, for 3 gold, corresponding with a larger supply ship with more armour and slots..

(Badges giving way to alternative templates with more slots and/or stronger hulls.. (navigator badges for sleeker vessels, but faster.. etc..)

Doran
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2003-11-20 10:27   
sounds a lot like mechwarrior to me
each hull (chassis) having a specific amount of room in it (criticals), and everything you put in takes up X amount of space.

thats not to say i dont think its a good idea

Gideon
Cadet

Posted: 2003-11-20 11:29   
What we have in the long range plans already:

1 - A system where players can put the actual name on their ship, along with a symbol choosen by their fleet to represent their fleet.

2 - A system where players can design the basic layout of their ship from scratch.

Email Gideon
Page created in 0.032029 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR