No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +6.0 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Sir Oblivion {C?}

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » New Shield/Armor Layout for Ships
 Author New Shield/Armor Layout for Ships
Juxtapose
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2003-11-06 09:08   
Presently, scouts have 1 slot for Armor/Shields. Most Frigates have 2. Destroyers can have up to 4. Cruisers and Dreadnaughts each have between 4 and 5.

Now, for a long time folks have stated that Dreadnaughts are simply too easy to kill. They may have more Hull points than a cruiser, but they have the same Armor/Shield Protection.

Instead of revamping the protective power of Armor and Shields (thus making all ships stronger) here are two ideas:

-----Plan 1: Less Armor coverage, more Armor slots-------------

1. The addition of 4 more Armor/shield slots on Dreadnaughts. Instead of 4 Shield/Armor sides, quartering the ship, these would become half the size and have twice as many. Each Armor/shield slot would cover 1/8 the circumferance of the ship. Number pad keys: 7, 9, 1 and 3 would be remapped for shield modulations for the new slots.

Though the Dreadnaught would still have the same number of Green bars surronding it, the ease in which a Torpedo Cruiser has in pounding on the same section of armor would be greatly lessened; infact doubling the potential Armor/Shield amount available.

Plan 1, section a: Power Drain with 8 shields

8 Shields, either Active or Reactive, would be far too much of a drain on any ICC Dreadnaught. To compensate, Reactor 2000's would become stock in Both ICC and UGTO ships in addition to the existing special slots. These Reactors would be: Large Special Slots, meaning that they can not be exchanged with smaller specials and Cruisers and smaller ships could not utilize them.

This would allow the ICC Dreads to function and would give the UGTO Dreads a significant advantage in Power. This is fair, because ICC do not have to use the Shields, not to mention the AC is really the battle ship of the ICC fleet.

Plan 1, section b: K'luth Special Slot Device

These new Armor/shield slots would be for all Dreadnaught class ships...for all three factions. The reactor, though, would be specific for Human Factions. The K'luth would receive a new special slot: the Matter Extraction Weapon: MAW but personally, I prefer: the Sanquinator Beam...

But 1st....

I would like to see the K'luth automated Reload have a set number or reloads, like a normal reload. I mean, endless supply of matter? Where does it all come from? Orbit a planet and you reload it. Simple, still automated, no problems.

For the Kluth Dread, The MAW.

It is similiar in premise as the Elf, except used for Matter instead of energy. The purpose of this device is to extract material from ships, any ships. The matter is then immediately put towards rebuilding the K'luth Armor...not hull...and a portion also goes towards reloading your automated reload.

Only K'luth Dreads get them and they can't be used by smaller ships.

unless...

Plan 1, section C: Revamping the ELF as an alternate for the MAW

To make this work...one more change: The ELF beam is ineffective against Armor (no energy there). Only effective against Shields and Hull. The MAW is ineffective against Shields (no matter there). Only effective vs. Hull and Armor.

-----Plan 2: Hull size becomes a Positive Modifier for Armor Hit Points

That seems simple enough. The armor/shields hit points on a scout are the base hit points of the armor.

(for those literal minded folks out there, the 100 is an illustration of hit points, a symbol even...not the actual ammount, as yes, I realize that there is a difference between Armor and Shields)

Scout Armor/Shields = 100 + 0% of 100 = 100

Frigate Armor/Shields Modifier = 20% = Armor hp = 120.

Destroyer Armor/Shields = 35% = Armor hp = 135

Cruiser Armor = 50% = 150

Dreadnaught = 250% = 250

A cruiser with 5 Hvy Armors has 750 Armor Hit points. A Dreadnaught with 5 Armor has 1250.

I like the 1st idea better...much more complicated...but this second one seems pretty easy.

[ This Message was edited by: Juxtapose on 2003-11-06 09:12 ]

Pope
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2003-11-06 09:23   
Quote:

On 2003-11-06 09:08, Juxtapose wrote:

-----Plan 1: Less Armor coverage, more Armor slots-------------

Probably a toughie to implement

Quote:

-----Plan 2: Hull size becomes a Positive Modifier for Armor Hit Points

Once i head this was on the board, then i heard it was taken off the board, then i heard it was on the board again..

Gideon
Cadet

Posted: 2003-11-06 10:49   
Quit getting ahead of yourselves, people!

Armor/sheilds are addressed in v1.482.

Email Gideon
Juxtapose
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2003-11-06 11:14   
Oh...1.482? So two weeks after the newest patch ? ( I found a quote in the Dev Arhives that states that the Balance patch was due to go Beta a few short weeks after 1.481 gets released...so this isn't a pipe dream question)

Or...should we expect it in Late Fall/early winter of 2004?

Gideon
Cadet

Posted: 2003-11-06 11:39   
Well, all the numbers and layouts are just about ready for v1.482 (just have to do the layouts for the ICC and K'Luth fleets).

After that, I just write up a short list of code changes required (was kept intentionally short and simple so as to speed the process).

So, it'll be ready by the time we get to the stress testing of v1.481, and just waiting on relativly easy code changes from Faustus before it goes in to beta.

The pre-test balance work, which invovles working out numbers and ratios for every darned thing in the game that relates to ships, will be done.

Semper ubi,
Sub ubi

[ This Message was edited by: Gideon on 2003-11-06 11:40 ]

Email Gideon
Malduc{-GTN-}
Cadet

Posted: 2003-11-06 17:57   
Nice ideas I must say. I like them all, with the exception of the following:

The Kluth MAW and Auto repair. The Kluth ships are supposedly made from an organic material, thus having the ability to HEAL (repair). The reloads are robotic drones that repair the ship. It's like mixing apples and oranges. The Auto Repair shouldn't have to be reloaded, it's not meant to be a reload.

As for the kluth having more armor, I think they have almost too much as it is, especially on the shell and hive.

My two cents.

Malduc

Honor Is All

Sandals
Fleet Admiral
Agents

Posted: 2003-11-06 21:03   
I think the MAW device should have its own thread.

Cool acronym.

BTW, Jux...

AFAIK: All ships will have more universal layouts, ie, no more strange "full armors" on a scout. The balance (between sizes) will entirely be done by the size's strength variation.

[ This Message was edited by: Sandalpocalypse on 2003-11-06 21:05 ]

Ragglock
Marshal
BIOnics Industry Syndicate

Posted: 2003-11-07 06:28   
think some of this could go with this topic

the maw is an nice addition to what i have allready surgestet

new armor on kluth

LOVE the smell of human flesh in the morning smells like MVictory

[ This Message was edited by: Ragglock(KTS) on 2003-11-07 06:30 ]

LOVE the smell of human flesh in the morning smells like MVictory

Goto the website of Ragglock
Page created in 0.017433 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR