No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.2 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » New Prestige System
 Author New Prestige System
Juxtapose
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2003-10-30 11:16   
Here is a new concept for tallying, earning and creating prestige that I dreamt up in my spare time (I have a lot of free time at work and a computer, so my employers are unwittingly paying me to write this for you)

New Prestige can not be earned by jumping, scoutin, etc... only through acts that have effects on other players...combat, bombing, building and supplying.

New Prestige is completely seperate from Statistics. Stats can only go up... prestige can go down or up.

-----------Earning Prestige------------------------
A new Player, AA, joins DS. His account is given the value of 1000 prestige. Not prestige towards his stats, which would read: 0 prestige, but what his worth is.

Player AA attacks player BB, who has 200 real prestige on his stats (therefore 1200 prestige worth). AA does 1 hull damage vs BB's ship. BB now has 199 prestige, AA has 1 (1001, but 1 on his stats)
------------------------------------------------------------

Say there are 100 players in DS. Each one starts with the value of 1000 prestige. Suddenly there is a finite amount of prestige available to be earned. A mere 100,000!! Well, this won't work...unless....

----------Creating Prestige--------------------

Prestige can be created through 3 methods, all of which require planets, starports and money.

Supply Ships A supply ships spawns at a gate but it has Zero Reloads. Reloads must be purchased at a Starport, where they are automatically availiable, no research needed, for $10 apeice. They sell in packages of 10 or 100 ammounts.

Player BB has 1% hull damage and needs to be repaired. The supply ship, after purchasing reloads then proceeds to convert these into Hull Hit Points. The Conversion of Reloads to Hit Points has the side effect of creating New Prestige.

Now suddenly, there is 100,001 prestige in the 100 player DS universe.

Engineers 1. Builds will require Drones...which can also be purchased by engineers at Starports. A Stock Build comes with enough drones to build a Hub and a Starport...though can be used for anything. Can't build anything, though, without a place to buy Drones to build.

2. Taking out an Engineer comes with a prestige penalty equivalent of the amount of Drones that come with it. You get your prestige back when you use them.

Player AA builds purchases 10 Drones for $10 credits and builds a Mine. He gets 1 prestige, brining his total to 2.. There is now 100,002 prestige in the Universe.

Player BB comes along and bombs that mine: Player AA has 1 prestige taken away and given to BB, who now has 200 prestige again.

Devices Say a stock Assault Cruiser is worth 100 prestige (how much you loose if you die, how much someone gains). This 100 prestige includes the stock components.

If I were to purchase an Anti-Matter Jump Drive and equip my ship with it, my ship now gains a 20% prestige modifier. I die, I loose 120 prestige. Engines could be 5% modifiers. Shields or Armor, 5%, and so on.

Player AA inflicts 1 hull damage on BB, who has a fully modified AC, then that 1 Hull damage is worth 2 prestige (his fully modded AC = 200%)

Now suddenly, there is 100,003 prestige in the 100 player DS universe.

Capturing Planets Player AA has 5 buildings worth 5 prestige on Naix. Player BB has 1 building worth 1 prestige on Naix as well. Player CC comes along and caps the planet: CC gets 6 prestige (not to mention the stats) while AA looses 5, and BB looses 1.

-----------Destroying Prestige---------

If you self destruct at 50% hull and inflict 10% damage on a ship. Maybe you gain 10 prestige for the SD (and your stats go up), but 40 prestige would be subtracted and erased from the DS Universe

Now suddenly, there is 99,963 prestige in the 100 player DS universe.

You Crash your fully modified Station into Sol : 500 prestige gone.

Missions: You apply for a planetary defense mission, 10 prestige is deducted from you. If the mission suceeds, you get it back + whatever $$credits$$ you earned. If the mission fails, you loose the prestige.

-----------Why?---------------------------

Long scenerios with lots of Modified Ships, but most specifically the MetaVerse, would garner successful players a lot more prestige than normal Scenerios.

Flying a modified ship comes with the benefits of being faster, stronger and more powerful, but also comes with the risk of losing twice as much prestige for dying...but even for merely being damaged.

Damage, even damage repaired, will cost you prestige.

Players that build something in Tau Ceti last month will loose prestige if that building is destroyed today.

Supplying will give you lots of extra prestige, but it will cost you credits.

Prestige and Statistics are seperate. Somethings you will get ZERO prestige for, but are necessary for gaining Badges. Like Jumping. Your prestige will go down if you take hull damage, but your Ships Damaged Stats will not....they are seperate.

Lastly and the most unlikely of this new system, but something that should be addressed. If you somehow manage to loose 1000 prestige without gaining any, you, as in your name and player ID is deceased. If you are still alive but at -1000 prestige, you are ok, but if you die with -1000 prestige, you will be brought to a screen that says : You are dead, please choose a new Character.

When, though, have you seen someone with -1000 prestige?

[ This Message was edited by: Juxtapose on 2003-10-30 12:28 ]

Eleda
Cadet

Posted: 2003-10-30 11:47   
Ok, this is good. It doesn't quite get around my problem with promotion past captain rank (this man has supplied 1000 ships, promote him to Admiral!) but is a good start.

I like the fact that (barring building and supplying) there is only a finite amount of prestige available, which means a more balanced distribution of ranks.

Email Eleda
A Troll =SSC=
Cadet

Posted: 2003-10-30 14:43   
well i like the part about modified ships losing doublepres on death but finite pres,what have u been smoking? I'll reread the post some other time i gotta work on getting to admiral

Email A Troll =SSC=
Juxtapose
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2003-10-30 14:52   
Quote:

On 2003-10-30 11:16, Juxtapose wrote:
----------Creating Prestige--------------------

Prestige can be created through 3 methods...

It's only finite because the number would be measurable, not finite in regards to a prestige cap. The only cap would be if you had all the prestige in the game...and however implausible this would be (as it would require every other player that had ever played to be dead...killed by yoy and by that I mean that they would have to have -1000 prestige), it is still possible.

$wiss
Admiral

Posted: 2003-10-30 15:04   
uuummmmm. ok. what happens if i get FF. then does my teamate gain prestige and i loose prestige for him damageing me???

Deleted
Admiral

Posted: 2003-10-30 15:19   
I have a queston:
All ships start out with 100% ship hull, and if your system is based on ship hull percentage points only, then a dread and a scout are virtually the same, with the only difference being how fast they die and their firepower. So does that mean that if a dread kills a dread, it gives the same ammount of prestige (100) to the dread than if he kills a scout? If it does, then what would stop everyone from just attacking smaller ships?

Juxtapose
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2003-10-30 15:21   
Quote:

On 2003-10-30 11:16, Juxtapose wrote:
-----------Destroying Prestige---------

If you cause Hull Damage on a friendly ship then you get no prestige for the damage (but your Friendly Fire stat goes up), but the player that has been damaged looses prestige. That prestige gets destroyed, you still get the Stat and the player you FF'd will probably report you.

As for the Hull damage thingy... this system incorporates all the existing facts and numbers for ship hull hit points etc. If a Scout has 20 Hull hit points and each one of those equals 0.1 prestige and a Dread has 5000 hull hit points, then you get 2 prestige for the scout and he gets -2 and you get 500 prestige for the Dread and he gets -500. If the dread or scout are moded, than you multiply the modification % against the prestige earned per Hull hit point.

[ This Message was edited by: Juxtapose on 2003-10-30 15:24 ]

Captain Caveman
Cadet

Posted: 2003-10-31 03:10   
I like it, apart from one thing. I disagree with the penalty for losing prestige for taking hull damage. That encourages people to run as soon as they start to take damage. Other than that, not bad at all.

Chosen of Chaos{Dictor Lord}
Cadet

Posted: 2003-10-31 03:48   
i agree with CC loosing pres from just loosing hull % i dont like as i like going in guns blazing killing stuff then jumping with as few hull as i can manage cuz i like to cause as much damage as i can =P if im loosing pres for doing that then wats the point in fighting ur garunteed to loose pres ALMOST everytime you fight just from dieing....you could most likly win a fight but loose more than you gained which is the part i dont like.

Page created in 0.022194 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR