No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +6.0 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Sir Oblivion {C?}

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Gauss gun place your improvement suggestions here.
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author Gauss gun place your improvement suggestions here.
Axianda The Royal
Fleet Admiral
Terra Squadron

Posted: 2003-10-26 04:16   
Ok my suggestion.

Instead of one " bullet " let it shoot 3 fast " bullets "

and each time you smash the space bar it will take 3 ammo instead of 1.

- Axi

Photox [F|F|I]
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2003-10-26 04:27   
It should be removed so noone could even acidently use it............

Seriously, more damage, so it would be usefull against Kluths dessys....
Lets say it would go trough armor straight to Hull, and 1 hit would damage +5 hull......or something

Tiggy
Midshipman
Terra Squadron

Posted: 2003-10-26 04:58   
Gauss rifles, as far as I've known them, use extremely heavy, solid core slugs. Therefore, I beleive they should cause significant damage (comparable to a SABOT salvo possibly?) and be extremely fast, difficult to dodge. They should also retain their range.

Couple this with very low ammo (around 5-10) due to the large slug size, and a long reload times because of large mass. I think it should still take a a normal weapon slot, just nerf it down a bit from my suggestions to balance it.

Email Tiggy
Novacat
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2003-10-26 07:53   
More damage....

Goto the website of Novacat
Eleda
Cadet

Posted: 2003-10-26 08:10   
Have they fixed he amusing bug where the slug goes right through the ship and either:-

A:Causes damage to the armour/sheilds on the far side of the ship

or

B:Passes through the ship without doing any damage

I havent used the weapon on beta yet so i don't know. I do beleive that all the weapon slot projectile launchers have been upgraded in Beta anyway, with both their speed and the damage they do increased.

Anyway, incase they haven't improved the Gauss gun here is my suggestion-

Leave the weapon as a single shot weapon but make that single shot do the damage of half a full volly of a Railgun, and lower its ammo to 100.Also give it the samge relode time as a railgun.

This way both weapons have the same maximum damage potential before the need to be reloded.The Gauss gun will trade off concentrated damage for range and accuracy.

Remember the aim should be to diversify the weapons without making any one too much better than the others, or that is all anyone will use.

Email Eleda
A Troll =SSC=
Cadet

Posted: 2003-10-26 09:00   
my suggestion is that it breaks through armor and shields easy but it should be ineffective against hull (we got ACs for that job) we could have frigates or dessies armed with gauss guns take out dread armor from a distance while ACs go in close and destroy the ship

Email A Troll =SSC=
_x$witchBladex_ [1.480 Fanboy]
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2003-10-26 10:10   
more damage OR get rid of it...
* [=TB=]Enterprise @39933 sent to Clan: "Thats a lie Switch, you'd never let anyone else drink rum if it were right there. You'd slip teh roofies in and start drinking it yourself and not even realize it."

Bad_Skeelz
Cadet

Posted: 2003-10-26 16:42   
In my opinion the Gauss Gun will need no improvements once the patch comes out. I have seen these in action with the new weapon damage and hit detection, they, like many post-patch weapons, are going to be brutal.

-Excerpt from Vice Admiral Skeelz's court-martial regarding the malignant boiling and eating of K'luth prisoners of war.

Email Bad_Skeelz
Krim {C?}
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2003-10-26 16:58   
Not to stray too far off topic, but I hope to god EMP cannons will be tonned down, for everone's sake, they do way to much damage, a single hit and systems just fry like it's no one's business. If you don't know what I mean, go play Beta as ICC or Kluth, vs. a UGTO ship with ONE emp cannon. Ouch.
-Krim

GTN - Veneratio est Totus

Goto the website of Krim {C?}
Da Dude
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2003-10-26 21:55   
upgrade it to a tri shot , hvy damage slow reload LONG range wep with slow reload and not much ammo . increase the speed and give it a grapics that looks like a yellowish red meteor , give the impact sound a more of a WUMP! and put a " we are under fire by gauss guns " message in case cloaked kluthies want to use it at 1000 GU .

Fatal Command (CO)
Marshal
Fatal Squadron

From: over here in New York noticing some ppl are like canoes.....they need to be paddled.
Posted: 2003-10-26 22:45   
no dude.....make it ICC use only.....heavy hiting......LONG range....SLOWWW reload....say 30 secs per shot..we need some sort of OFFENSIVE weapon to use they cant....defense is fine..but we die quick without good offense....

Email Fatal Command (CO)
Pope
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2003-10-27 03:47   
let's see how it works out with the improved collision checking in beta + corrected weapon damage..

it might actually be feasible

it probably will need a bit more damage though, still.

Gideon
Cadet

Posted: 2003-10-28 17:23   
Quote:

On 2003-10-26 22:45, plungedjet_01*2RA* wrote:
no dude.....make it ICC use only.....heavy hiting......LONG range....SLOWWW reload....say 30 secs per shot..we need some sort of OFFENSIVE weapon to use they cant....defense is fine..but we die quick without good offense....

Actually, that is presented from a false persective.

Concider, if you will, a UGTO ship that has 20,000 worth of offense, 40,000 worth of defense, and 80,000 worth of hull.

Now, think of an ICC ship with 16,000 worth of offense, 58,000 worth of defense, and 80,000 worth of hull.

Over the same ammount of time, the ICC ship will eliminate the UGTO ship's defenses before the UGTO ship can eliminate the ICC ship's defenses. The ICC ship will, therefor, be inflicting system damage on the UGTO ship before the UGTO ship can inflict system damage on the ICC ship. System damage will degrade the offensive effectiveness on the UGTO ship first, giving the ICC ship a further advantage, and ulitmatly, victory.

Mind you, this IS a very simple example, but it shows how sufficient defense can overcome a lack in offense. Defense, of course, is predicated not only on simple outright hitpoints, but also repair rate and the ability to reinforce the damaged area in question.

As to changes in the Gauss Gun. Stick around for v1.482 to see what, if any, changes are performed on this component.

I had a reality check once.

It bounced...

[ This Message was edited by: Gideon on 2003-10-28 17:35 ]

Email Gideon
MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2003-10-29 00:34   
Either more damage or increased rate of fire. I personally would rather have increased rate of fire, but I guess realistically, a gauss cannon would be slow but pack a punch?

Doesn't need more than that, it already has awesome range and a lot of ammo. A ROF increase would make it one helluva gun.

Axianda The Royal
Fleet Admiral
Terra Squadron

Posted: 2003-10-29 04:33   
come on keep em comming.

YOUR idea of an improvement..... dont discuss em just post em

- Axi

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.023072 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR