No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.1 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » A couple of new teamwork-ship suggestions!
 Author A couple of new teamwork-ship suggestions!
Sardaukar
Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2003-10-23 20:28   
I thought of these during algebra, drafting, and science class, so they should be moderately intelligent as my brain was in non-moron mode...
These are meant to introduce a new sense of teamwork and fill in the gap left by the DS Pilot Idea

ASSAULT GUNSHIP

Same size as a scout-fits in scout class
Flight physics equal to a scouts, perhaps a bit faster and less maneuverable.
1 Cargo space (for modding)(Non Infantry Type)
2-4 [debating] cannons (these fire in a cycle rather than all at once)
1 torpedo launchers [DEBATING] (uses a special high-speed non-tracking sub-fusiontorp(the weakest of torpedos)-damage torpedo ONLY, with differnt types that utilize multi-minibomb warheads, armor piercing, antishield, etc. The antishield/armor only do damage to those targets, mininal hull damage. Scattershot basically releases a few scattered sabots instead of a warhead for hitting mines, etc).
1 engine
1 Reactor 500 (non moddable, once available)
1 light beam
1 light armor
NO JUMPDRIVE [Read the second ships description for justification before you shout]

The Aslt GS essentially becomes the 'DS Pilot' subgame suggested once, as the craft is relatively easy to destroy, but very fast and, as it is an Assault Gunship type craft, well armed. Its major limit is the lack of a Jumpdrive and ineffectiveness unless it has a squadron.

AGS recieve Assault Missions, where they must intercept and destroy a target, or drive a target away from a friendly (must drive target 500gu from the target for 1:30)

===================================================== =====================================================

CARRYALL-CLASS SUPERTRANSPORT

Used to shuttle damaged craft to safety, get other ships thru a thick defense field, or carry AGS' to a hotzone. The cargo cannot be identified unless the enemy has extensive ECCM/Scanner systems, as the bay would be very ECM-shielded on its interior only.
This would be a dreadnought-sized(can carry ONE cruiser, TWO destroyers, or 8 Aslt Gunships) or cruiser-sized (can carry 4 Aslt Gunships) vessel with one huge rectangular armored bay with engines, a bridge, etc. When a craft hits G to dock with an CST, the CST owner will be alerted to press an as of yet undetermined button to open a massive bay door (5 seconds to open/close). The docking-craft will then fly into the bay and be held in place by numerous invisible tractor beams. The CST is used to deliver AGS to a hotzone or bring other craft through a similarly dangerous area, protected within the heavily armored hull.
40 Cargo Space (Non-infantry type, when available, until then cargo is 10)
6 Light Beams (primarily for point defense)
6 Hvy Armor
4 Engines
One button to open/close the bay doors
1 Jumpdrive
1 Mass-transit Superbay (indestructable as long as the ship is in existence, ships within the vessel have 5 seconds to get clear should the CST be destroyed)

Max speed: 15-20gu/s (depending on % of Superbay occupied)
Low-Medium Maneuverability (Same as above)

Recieves Supertransport Missions where it must bring a mass of resources between systems and AGS Carrier missions, where it must deliver AGS to their mission-targets.

[ This Message was edited by: Wolfram {C?} on 2003-10-24 15:39 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Wolfram {C?} on 2003-10-24 15:41 ]

'A1Tyrael
Cadet

Posted: 2003-10-23 21:24   

[ This Message was edited by: Tyrael {SNM} on 2003-10-23 21:24 ]

Hello Joe! ;)

Guard
Cadet

Posted: 2003-10-23 21:31   
It sounds like a good idea

Email Guard
Tellaris
Grand Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2003-10-23 23:21   
I've *ALWAYS* been in favor of ships that can launch player ships, so I say, YAH! Go for it!

NoPants2win
Cadet

Posted: 2003-10-24 00:43   
I would like to know why a space borne craft requires wings of any kind. And, for that matter, why the wings cause the ship to slow down when they unfold, despite increased thruster power.

I would also like to know what colorful language you intend to use when you get interdicted and slaughtered by 8 high powered, ultra-maneuverable, unstoppable hit and run ships armed with armour piercing torpedoes. I seriously can't think of any fleet of conventional ships that would stand a chance against these things. I tried, but I can't.

-edit: Imagine 8 modded combat destroyers coming at you, only they are faster, smaller, more maneuverable and pack armour piercing torps.

[ This Message was edited by: WDPFF on 2003-10-24 00:47 ]

Goto the website of NoPants2win
Kamikaze Chicken
Cadet

Posted: 2003-10-24 00:59   
Im with WDPFF, as cool as it sounds it just wouldnt work. Not only would it take a lot of coding but it would simply be overpowered.

[ This Message was edited by: Kamikaze Chicken on 2003-10-24 01:01 ]

chris aka sunshine
Cadet

Posted: 2003-10-24 01:34   
sorry m8, but this ships just sound ueber

we're already working on new ship&weapon layouts.. watch our for some cool stuff somewhen after 1.481/1.482

Email chris aka sunshine   Goto the website of chris aka sunshine
Sardaukar
Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2003-10-24 14:59   
Quote:

On 2003-10-24 00:43, WDPFF wrote:
I would like to know why a space borne craft requires wings of any kind. And, for that matter, why the wings cause the ship to slow down when they unfold, despite increased thruster power.

the wings mount the weapons and position the wingtip thrusters. when the wings are closed, the thrtusters are closer to the ships center of mass and provide more forward thrust. when extended, they allow for sharper turns.
Quote:

I would also like to know what colorful language you intend to use when you get interdicted and slaughtered by 8 high powered, ultra-maneuverable, unstoppable hit and run ships armed with armour piercing torpedoes. I seriously can't think of any fleet of conventional ships that would stand a chance against these things. I tried, but I can't.

the torpedos dont track, so you'll have to be a REALLY bad pilot to not be able to dodge them. They are about as fast an FT, i suppose, and are used for hitting things like stations (once the stations get their proper hull ratings, at least) and the torpedos are not modifiable with regular ones. the variation-types (antishield, armor piercing, etc) do not inflict much hull damage, only damage to what they are calibrated for. And the damage is less than thatt of a Proton Torpedo. The interdictor was an optional idea for defending the carrier, I'm removing it now.
Quote:

-edit: Imagine 8 modded combat destroyers coming at you, only they are faster, smaller, more maneuverable and pack armour piercing torps.

these ships have hull values equal-to or lesser than that of a scout, with a single sheet of armor. A few torpedos would cripple them.
and to escape, all ya gotta do is JUMP.

[ This Message was edited by: Wolfram {C?} on 2003-10-24 15:07 ]

NoPants2win
Cadet

Posted: 2003-10-24 15:24   
Quote:

They are about as fast an FT...
And the damage is less than thatt of a Proton Torpedo.

Already in game, they are called fusion torpedoes.

Quote:

the torpedos dont track, so you'll have to be a REALLY bad pilot to not be able to dodge them. They are about as fast an FT, i suppose

With a fast ship I can hit you better with non tracking torps. Especially non tracking f torps. How do you think we survived in ACs before they tracked?

Quote:

these ships have hull values equal-to or lesser than that of a scout, with a single sheet of armor. A few torpedos would cripple them.

I can tag a modded ead in a scout with 1 heavy armour.
If I got hit in a scout by fusion or proton torpedo I would probably head straight to the doctor's. I can dodge most ftorps in my 5 heavy armour cruiser.

I like your idea, but no torps. And better go for 1 engine. I dont think the engine lets you have unfolding wings either.

[ This Message was edited by: WDPFF on 2003-10-24 15:34 ]

Goto the website of NoPants2win
Sardaukar
Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2003-10-24 15:33   
WDPFF wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

They are about as fast an FT...
And the damage is less than thatt of a Proton Torpedo.

Already in game, they are called fusion torpedoes.

ah, my mistake thenn. the damage should be less than the least powerful torpedo... the F torp, hten. i guess.
[/quote]
Quote:

Quote:

I can tag a modded ead in a scout with 1 heavy armour.
If I got hit in a scout by fusion or proton torpedo I would probably head straight to the doctor's. I can dodge most ftorps in my 5 heavy armour cruiser.

Theres the catch, tho. You cannot flee without reaching your carrier and escaping. This adds a an imperative to assign at least one craft to protect the CST while you do what you set out to do. Going to reduce speed tho, to make the AGS a slightly easier target.

Gideon
Cadet

Posted: 2003-10-28 17:43   
Ooooorrrrr....

We could develop a system in the future which would let players fly fighters....

Just a thought, as such a system is a long ways away from now.

I had a reality check once.

It bounced...

[ This Message was edited by: Gideon on 2003-10-28 17:44 ]

Email Gideon
4cemje
Cadet

Posted: 2003-10-28 19:57   
Im with Gidion.

Sardaukar
Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2003-10-28 22:28   
Tasty.

Page created in 0.021180 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR