No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.2 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » New Planet Def:Ground Based Anti-Ship Anti-Missile Anti-Aircraft Defense Base
 Author New Planet Def:Ground Based Anti-Ship Anti-Missile Anti-Aircraft Defense Base
A Troll =SSC=
Cadet

Posted: 2003-10-16 14:56   
This recently popped into my head i got it somewhat from a game called Ace Combat 4.in this game they had this Superweapon made up of about 5-6 Anti Asteroid cannons that the enemy turned to an anti aircraft weapon.
the shells made quite a big explosion if u played the game u probably know what i am talking about.
What i am proposing is a DS equivelent it works like this.

Effective Range:200-800gu allthough the shells can actually go about 1000 gu it would be only effective against fighters,mirvs and pcms at that range.

Blast Radius:effective ship damage 0-100gu.missle,Mirv,and fighter destruction 0-250gu.

Damage Potential:can destroy Mirvs easy,PCMs slightly harder but the blast radius makes up for it.
Against Ships its devestating even to dreads.
It is an Unguided projectile so the farther u are more chance of a miss.
Also the closer u are to the battery the more damage u get because of kinetic energy damage (damage caused by the speed and force of a projectile).

Special Note:The battery can shoot down fighters in the planets atmosphere.Effective radius against fighter strikes to planet about the size of Asia.
These batterys fire at a target a salvo of 6 shells at high speed although it loses speed and effectiveness against farther targets.
They also use up lots of power and there is a long delay between salvos.

I see this as being able to destroy mirvs from a cloud bombrun in one salvo,being able to provide fire support against enemy ships,and defend planet from enemy fighters engaging planetary targets (like going in and bombing friendly troops and structures.)

Oh yeah a limit to the number of these structures per planet should be imposed say 2-4 per planet (to cover all sides of a planet).
Any suggestions or complaints?

[ This Message was edited by: Cobra 1-1 (Merc Corps) on 2003-10-16 15:54 ]

Email A Troll =SSC=
Gideon
Cadet

Posted: 2003-10-16 15:22   
I suggest you edit your post to remove the weird bits that were inserted because you had spaces at the beginning of sentances (paraghraph indents).

Email Gideon
Valerius{DK}
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2003-10-16 15:22   
why not make it so, when it fires, all DBs and shields lose ALL energy for 10 sec or so and that the weapon must be fired manualy (so not to inflict total caos on the planet). That way, the weapon is uber, but comes with a high cost. Reload time should be 4 minutes at least, or it would just shoot to often.

My opinion on it, it might work, but im more concerned about the balance off it. It would make cloud bombing a near impossibility, when enemies are in the system.

Myon

Email Valerius{DK}
A Troll =SSC=
Cadet

Posted: 2003-10-16 16:04   
How bout this for the guns to engage an enemy ship it would require a friendly ship to lock on and send the target coordinates back to the gun battery (there should be a key u can press that toggles the data feed from ship to battery).

About the thing about having the Def bases and shields go offline it wouldn't work out.The guns are essentially giant Gauss Cannons that fire big shells with a large blast radius and it needs its own power plant (a fusion plant is minimum but solars feed more power to it and let it charge up its shots faster) to fire each salvo.

By the way the cannons will auto target anything within 400 gu any farther than that it would require targeting info from other ships.To take these out a couple of fighters have to enter the planet atmosphere and bomb the cannons.Because the cannons can also engage planetside fighters expect heavy losses but if u put in enough fighters the cannons will be destroyed.

Note:If a fighter takes part in a strike against planetary cannons and survives it will get an elite rank and a big promotion assuming the cannons are destroyed that is.

Email A Troll =SSC=
TwoFly {C?} The Redeemer
Fleet Admiral
Evil Empires Inc.

Posted: 2003-10-16 17:30   
I think this would be a great idea, but what if you made the Energy use of the planet pretty low, leave the damage very high, but make it targetable? That would make it semi possible to be able to take a planet with say.... a station, yet still leaves a chance to really hurt something. The firing rate could also be increased if needed, but i think that this would be a great idea.
-General George Patton

Tellaris
Grand Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2003-10-16 17:44   
And why not add an instakill button and get over it?
It would effectively do that to anything smaller then a cruiser. Maybe even cruisers.

As far as I know, Palestar does not want any kind of weapon that can instakill anything. Even a scout. Maybe mass amounts of that weapon (eg, the lasers on an EAD instakilling a scout) but not a weapon that is capable of killing something in one salvo.

A Troll =SSC=
Cadet

Posted: 2003-10-17 14:50   
oh yeah about the instant kill thing a direct hit from one of the shells will vaporize scouts,supplys,trannys,destroyers,and cripple cruisers.
2 hits will annhilate any cruiser in the game and penetrate Dread armor completely and cause 20% hull damage.
3 will cause heavy damage to dreads and moderate damage to station armor.4 will kill a dread and mess up a station and its systems (but not kill it).a entire salvo from a gun battery will anhillate any ship in the game even stations.

Also Gunbatterys can be ordered to use certain shell types.It uses the appropriate shell depending on the target but can be ordered to use a different shell type.
A list of the shell types for the orbital guns.
1.Mk1:standard shell effective against everything.
2.Mk2 ASGS:Ship killing shell these have splash damage reduced to around 30gu.
3.Mk3 AM-AA:Anti fighter-Anti-Missle shell blast radius 300gu highly ineffective against ships
4.Mk4 APAS:Armor Piercing version goes through armor and shields quite nicely to detonate inside the ship causes moderate hull damage on impact (provided armor is destroyed which happens on contact with one of these babies)
5.Mk.5 Dread Killer:does just what it says heavy shell going at about 500gu will penetrate any armor there is and cause extreme damage.
No splash damage and shuts down the gun that fired the shell for 5 minute because of overheat.
Be sure not to miss with one of these cause 5 minutes of ur uber ship killer shut down is not fun.

Email A Troll =SSC=
Tiggy
Midshipman
Terra Squadron

Posted: 2003-10-17 19:22   
The only change I'd like to add is give fighter bases some PD

Email Tiggy
A Troll =SSC=
Cadet

Posted: 2003-10-18 10:21   
sounds good

Email A Troll =SSC=
Page created in 0.017502 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR