No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.1 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » ICC shield gen slots
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author ICC shield gen slots
Axianda The Royal
Fleet Admiral
Terra Squadron

Posted: 2003-10-11 12:54   
Ok i've been thinking why do we have just like UGTO shields on various arcs?

isnt a shield just a big bubble around you ship that protects you?

So why not make EVERY shield slot FULL.

Sure that would mean a AC would get 15 layers to break thru BUT it wont matter where you hit us anymore.

Just a 5 min thought.

- Axi

Jim Starluck
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2003-10-11 13:05   
But that kills the point of being able to re-direct our shields to any particular arc...

I'd personally prefer to have a combination of full and arced shields, like we have on the AC or AD. AND one Heavy Armor under 'em all.

Email Jim Starluck
Gideon
Cadet

Posted: 2003-10-12 03:39   
Technical notes on how a shield generator works, DS style (and many others for that case):

The hull of the ship is covered in a grid like pattern which is a projection grid for the energy field. Each section of grid is powered by a separate generator, generally falling along lines of forward, port, etc. This is for redundancy, and to distribute power load more evenly. This also allows the generators themselves to be spaced out, so a lucky shot doesn't disable all shield capacity at once.

Email Gideon
DOM700 [-IMO-]
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2003-10-12 12:33   
Not like those stupid shields in Star Trek:
*heavy explosions on the bridge*
"we just took a heavy hit, shields down at 99%"

Never forget what you fight for
I have earned my betatester badge for being part of the open beta

Email DOM700 [-IMO-]   Goto the website of DOM700 [-IMO-]
Krim {C?}
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2003-10-12 12:56   
Re: Star Trek Shields

If you watch Nemesis, the last ST:TNG movie, you'll be treated to a wonderful battle scene in which the Ent-E gets the crap beat out of it, the shield "Arcs" are featured very prominently during the battle.
-Krim

GTN - Veneratio est Totus

Goto the website of Krim {C?}
Tbone
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2003-10-12 14:38   
Speaking of Nemesis...

If the Romulans can build ships like that, why doesn't the Federation...?

Email Tbone
Sandals
Fleet Admiral
Agents

Posted: 2003-10-12 14:54   
That'd be too smart...

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2003-10-12 15:02   
That ship was Like a SUPER BIG Flag ship. it had 40(!) disruptor bays. and coutnless torp launchers

Simply put=It owns

Lupino
Cadet

Posted: 2003-10-12 15:07   
Espcially when the Enterprise puttered along at grandpa-er, ramming speed and smashed right through their 70% sheilding

Fatal Command (CO)
Marshal
Fatal Squadron

From: over here in New York noticing some ppl are like canoes.....they need to be paddled.
Posted: 2003-10-12 15:26   
why even worry over shields.....with the lag factor......just paint a big bullseye on your hull....may as well....for all the damage your gonna get compared to what you'll inflict

Email Fatal Command (CO)
Valerius{DK}
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2003-10-12 15:38   
if you look at it on Star Trek, each time the ship is hit, some damage occurs on the ship (mainly the bridge), yet the shields are still holding. In DS9, during the Klingon attack on the station, 1 battleship took out all shields, and 5 minutes later, they where back up again and "holding"

Myon

Email Valerius{DK}
Gideon
Cadet

Posted: 2003-10-12 15:55   
Quote:

On 2003-10-12 14:38, Tbone [NSS Pandora's Box] wrote:
Speaking of Nemesis...

If the Romulans can build ships like that, why doesn't the Federation...?

Welll.....

I am guessing, aside from dramatic emphasis, that there is the question of efficiency.

In the ST fiction, the Federation has been going towards smaller more specialized ships. The Sovereign class starship (Enterprise E), is a wee bit longer than the Galaxy class (Enterprise D), but significantly narrower and shorter. So, the Sovereign is a good deal less massive than the Galaxy class.

Basically, you can have one ship that is twice as effective as the next smaller ship, or you can have four of the smaller ships for the same cost in resources and time. Multiple smaller ships let you be in multiple areas at once, and to attack a target from multiple vectors, which is another advantage to the smaller vessels.

Its similar to why we no longer have any commissioned Battleships on Earth. While each Battleship is more effective than several Cruisers (given that they are each equiped with equivilantly advanced techonolgy), you can field far more Cruisers than Battleships due to cost to construct, maintain, and cost of manpower.

Aircraft Carriers arn't terribly cost effective either, but are able to project their strength over a very large area, and are capable of a very wide variety of missions.

It bounced...

[ This Message was edited by: Gideon on 2003-10-12 15:56 ]

Email Gideon
Juxtapose
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2003-10-12 22:24   
Ever wondered what would happen if they invent people-safe Anti-gravity devices? There is more and more news about it recently, not to mention the U.S. government has admitted developing it (which could mean they have had it for years...or not...)

Won't really need a naval fleet...nor a air-corp... anti-gravity would be like SUV's for the armed forces : they can go anywhere...big or small.

Your Cruisers could attack ships at sea and bomb targets deep inland... not to mention act like tanks and such...

Wonder if they would decommission all the ships and such...

Anyway...

I like the shields and armor. Gives different strategies for playing and (atleast the ICC) a choice in wardrobes... maybe a few different types of armor for the uggies and bugs...like organic (bugs) or types better suited for missles/torps and types better suited for beams and particles...for the uggies only, of course...

Deleted
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2003-10-12 23:11   
What are these anti-gravity things?

Max Kepler
Fleet Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2003-10-13 00:01   
What I would like to see is a dramatic difference between armor and shields, in that armor is a damage reducer and shields are a damage absorber.

For example, a UGTO Frigate is armed with a single Heavy Armor slot. It flys by a planet that fires numbers of IT missiles at it. The armor has a 10,000 HP reducer (arbitrary number). What happens is...
At 100% armor, the armor reduces the damage 100%, absorbing it. So, say an IT missile does 1,000 damage. The damage to ship is reduced 100%, and the armor decreases 10% to a 90% rating.
Now, another IT missile zooms in and hits. This time, however, only 90% of the 1,000 damage is reduced. The ship's hull receives 100 points of damage, and the armor is taken down by 9,000, making it 81%. We'll say a Frigate hull can withstand 10,000 points of damage, so the ship's hull is now at 99%.

Now, an ICC Frigate is armed with a single Active shield slot. It's shield value, however, is only 8,000 HP, but it absorbs the attack. So, the first missile that comes in completely deflected, and the shield now has 87.5% integrity. The second missile comes in, and is ALSO completely deflected. The shield is now at 75%, but the hull has taken NO damage.

What this means is that ships that are 'persecuted' will take on hull damage little by little -- 2 IT missiles that hit the UGTO Frigate far enough apart that the armor is able to regenerate will STILL eventually destroy the ship (though it'll take 200 missiles), whereas ICC Frigate will not. It also means that special weapons, like EMP Cannons, will do slight damage through armor, but not shields. If the UGTO Frigate is at 50% armor and it is hit by an EMP which does 10% damage to all systems, the EMP WILL hit, but only do 5% damage to all systems. If the ICC Frigate is hit, it will do nothing. You will have to completely destroy the shield before EMPs will work. This could also be applied to the ELF beam if it is changed.

Its late, and that explanation most likely sucked. But maybe you can get something out of it...

Email Max Kepler   Goto the website of Max Kepler
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.025980 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR