No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +4.9 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Chubba

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Weapon Type ID / WireFrame
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author Weapon Type ID / WireFrame
-=//RirusAxis\\=-
Cadet

Posted: 2003-10-03 09:46   
Hey,

this has probably been brought up already but...

SOmething I've noticed when playing in the MV is that when I'm trying to mod my ship and I want to try out different weapons and stuff I can't tell what weapons I can load onto my ship or not.

None of the items that you can buy or sell tell you whether they are heavy weapon or what type of class the weapons are or not, not only that, but I can't tell what slots I have on my ship that I can rotate wepons around on, maybe I'm missing something (and if I am, please let me know =P) but I think that's something of a problem, especially for someone new, or even someone who doesn't have all the weapon memorized (me, on both accounts -_-')

All that would need to be changed is an extra line in the descrip of the weapon/device at the starport so you can see what slot it fills, and an extra line when you have the item in cargo or right clicked where it says what type the item is, and even on the empty boxes when you've removed something from it's compartment and it's in cargo, a right click on the empty box would tell you what slot it is and what type of item can be placed there (this could also be done in the f3 screen (with or without a wireframe) as even just an extra couple of words (heavey weapon/beam/special) in front of what ever is in the slot at the time

~Rirus
...run

Juxtapose
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2003-10-03 12:04   
If the item or device you wish to purchase at the starport is red-tinted that means it can't be used on your current vessel...you can still buy it, though.

Gideon
Cadet

Posted: 2003-10-03 12:39   
Also when you click on a component in your storage, the slots it doesn't fit in dim.

Email Gideon
Pope
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2003-10-03 14:47   
and when your right-click on a component you have mounted, it shows its slot type. voila.

Grimith
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2003-10-03 15:44   
~It still doesn't show what type of item something is in the starport, though. I mean... something easy like engines or a jumpdrive... you can guess where that goes. But, whenever I first started playing, I remember having to buy things first and see which slot they went into. Even if the items that you CANNOT fit into your ship are red, that still doesn't tell you what types of items the items that will go into your ship are. I mean, I thought Psi Missles were Heavy Weapons, but I had to buy them and look to see that they were Normal.

~Of course, now that I've played for a little while, I know which item fits in which slot, but it's still confusing.

Goto the website of Grimith
-=//RirusAxis\\=-
Cadet

Posted: 2003-10-03 15:58   
...that doesn't help much.

If I'm trying to mod a dread (which I won't be for a while =P) and I have a certain amount of heavey weapon/medium weapon/weapon slots and I don't knwo which is which or even know what weapons I buy at starport go into which slot, I don't think it's such a good idea to buy stuff without knowing where it goes, or even if I'm buying the wrong thing for the wrong slot, etc.

It's true that you can keep the stuff in cargo and just fly into the jumpgate to drop off mispurchased items (instead or reselling them for 1/10 regular price ><') it's just a bit of extra time, but it would be easier if you could just tell what you're buying, you know?

that's my opinion anyways =/

~Rirus
...run

Gideon
Cadet

Posted: 2003-10-03 16:33   
Well, seriously, however.

Why don't you fire up a 2d art program and show us what you would like for the interface?

Seriously.

I am always interested in such suggestions, and we will need to overhaul some of the interface for v1.482 (Faustus hath decreed it). So, let's see a visual representation of your idea.

Email Gideon
Sandals
Fleet Admiral
Agents

Posted: 2003-10-03 17:39   
you know i was thinking of doing something like that gid but me art skills suck. i'll see what I can do though.

Fatal Command (CO)
Marshal
Fatal Squadron

From: over here in New York noticing some ppl are like canoes.....they need to be paddled.
Posted: 2003-10-03 22:21   
easiest,simplest least complex and confusing way to find out what can go where.....ASK.....wow........a weird concept..

Email Fatal Command (CO)
MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2003-10-03 22:22   
I think all he wants is for the items to show what SLOT they belong to in the BUILD and STARPORT screens so you can decide if it's worth buying or even worth building (I've seen newer players research and build PCM's right away thinking they can mod them ).

Seems a simple addition to the code?

Doran
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2003-10-03 23:02   
dont have much drawing skillz either but i did take some screenies from cyberstorm2 (as i referenced in the hangers and multiple decks thread)
and slapped some arrows and text on em to sorta show what ds stuff would be where if the ship selection menus/mod screens were changed for this wireframe ship model stuff and i dont know so on with teh crummy pics

1 gif, 3 frame, 10sec/frame

Tiggy
Midshipman
Terra Squadron

Posted: 2003-10-04 09:04   
A bit off topic, but I remember playing a demo of that Cyberstorm... is it good?

Email Tiggy
Doran
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2003-10-04 17:31   
i suppose so
its a 2d strategery game ala starcraft or warcraft that can be either realtime or turnbased (player's choice) its made by Dynamix (no longer exists), set in the starsiege universe (earthsiege, starsige, tribes1,tribes2, et al.)

something i dust off every once in a while

google up "Cyberstorm 2" and you can get some reviews and whatnot
linky

–•• ––– •–• •– –•
(This space for rent)

[ This Message was edited by: Doran on 2003-10-04 17:33 ]

-=//RirusAxis\\=-
Cadet

Posted: 2003-10-04 20:41   
Quote:

On 2003-10-03 16:33, Gideon wrote:
Well, seriously, however.

Why don't you fire up a 2d art program and show us what you would like for the interface?

Seriously.

I am always interested in such suggestions, and we will need to overhaul some of the interface for v1.482 (Faustus hath decreed it). So, let's see a visual representation of your idea.

heh, well...if my art skills we even remotely basic (ie any good =P ) I would...

Mr. Sparkle is right, I do want to see a piece of text denoting slot type added to the star port, but also to the ship interface thing (bottom left of screen when playing the main game and you can click items on ship to set them to keys) so you can see what the slots are =]

Doran is also right, I would like to see something almost exactelly like the screen shots he has up (nice screens by the way, do you have a link to that game? =D ) on the f3 screen, this would be a HUGE help =D

Necessity is not the grand "Mother of all Invention" we all worship, necessity is merely an innocent face, the old theatre's "Happy" mask, that greed wears to hide itself behind...Greed is the true Mother of all Invention...
...Control is an Illusion...
...run...

[ This Message was edited by: -=//RirusAxis\\=- on 2003-10-04 22:11 ]
...run

MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2003-10-04 23:44   
RirusAxis it does show you what slot it is on the main screen when you right click it. When you click, say, a Proton Cruise Missile to assign it a number, it will say it's a Heavy Bomb...that's the slot, heavy bomb slot. A torpedo will show Heavy Weapon, a scanner Special, a railgun Weapon, a MIRV Bomb, etc.

I suggest you right click everything your ships have and get to know what slots all the different items use.

You have to use that info to plan your modding. So for example, you find out from right clicking a PCM (proton cruise missile) that it's a heavy bomb slot, and you know from right clicking everything else that there's no other heavy bomb slots available unless they already have a PCM. So you now know you can't mod with a PCM, and you don't bother researching or building them. BUT, you also find out from right clicking stuff that IT missiles and torpedoes are heavy weapons, so you can research and build a torpedo to replace an IT missile and vice versa. You also find out, like a lot of vets have, that mines are also heavy weapons Another popular vet finding is that builds and reloads are the same slot and thus interchangeable (ever engineer in a supply ship? or supply in newbie server in an engineer?)

I just want that slot designation added to starport and factory build screens too. Heck add it to the research screen too! I personally know what the stuff is now so it's not for me, it's for the new players. This is actually some pretty confusing stuff for a new player; we all kinda take it for granted.

[ This Message was edited by: MrSparkle on 2003-10-04 23:53 ]

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.019409 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR