No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +4.8 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Chubba

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Gate Guard
 Author Gate Guard
The Monty
Cadet

Posted: 2003-09-30 15:51   
Ok, gate Guard came into play because some planets were too close to the jumpgates. There were 2 suggestions made on what to do to solve it. One was move the planets, the other was Gate Guard, now that the homegates are moved away from planets could we please get rid of gate guard?

NoPants2win
Cadet

Posted: 2003-09-30 16:16   
Or at least make the homegates visible. Those things nab far more players that are legitimately trying to get from one place to another then they catch exploiters.

Goto the website of NoPants2win
Hawk™
Cadet

Posted: 2003-09-30 16:34   
I dont go 2 Alpha C because of that cmon 25 seconds isnt enough time 2 pick up your speed.

Email Hawk™
Malduc{-GTN-}
Cadet

Posted: 2003-09-30 17:54   
I agree, I'd like to see this resolved. 25 seconds for a dread or station is not nearly enough time. We lost a UGTO fleet in CD not too long ago because we hit the gate guard. Now there were two fixes to this problem from what I heard a member of the Dev team talking about:

1.) Make home gates visible so you can avoid them (not really my favorite)

OR

2.)extend dictor range to 1250 GU so you are not actually IN the safe zone when you hit the dictor field

I prefer #2, and this is a relatively simple fix from how I understood it. This way you have time to turn your big fat station or dread around and go back the way you came to circumnavigate the safe zone. I'd like to get some people behind me on this suggestion if you agree, getting hit by the dictor field and not being able to escape is somewhat annoying, even if your ship is still in your garage. You just spent 20 minutes getting your ship from your home to theirs then BOOM, one wrong jump and you start all over. Fix this please.

Malduc

Honor Is All

Pope
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2003-09-30 18:10   
Quote:

2.)extend dictor range to 1250 GU so you are not actually IN the safe zone when you hit the dictor field

i can see that..

GateGuard1
GateGuard2
GateGuard3
GateGuard4

Thrie
Fleet Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2003-09-30 18:37   
#2 is interesting... good chance of it being more effective then the current gate guard issue.

I support this Idea number 2 until better suggestion surfaces.

Email Thrie
The Monty
Cadet

Posted: 2003-09-30 19:29   
Erm, whats wrong with just removing the gate guards altogether?

Sandals
Fleet Admiral
Agents

Posted: 2003-09-30 21:05   
i dont think gate guards are in just because of sag hotha.

if you leave gate guard out, there's people that exploit safe zones. so...no.

MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2003-10-01 13:08   
That's why I think with the patch the safe zone should be eliminated.

With the patch, no ship larger than a frigate will be coming from a gate anyway (essentially meaning no ships will be coming from the jumpgate); they'll all be using shipyards so the safe zone isn't needed.

The safe zone was put in place to stop the jumpgate camping that was happening, so if nobody will be coming from the jumpgates anymore why keep the safe zone?

If anyone's worring about not having a safe zone anymore, remember that that's how it used to be, and the problem back then was the jumpgate was the place to get your ships and was thus camped. Now it will be the shipyards that will be camped...do they need a safe zone too? (you see what I mean?)

NoPants2win
Cadet

Posted: 2003-10-01 16:30   
Nice thought sparkles, but then it would be impossible for an anihilated faction to come back, so long as the gate was camped. Meaning 1 butthole could keep your entire faction pinned down (bad).

Goto the website of NoPants2win
MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2003-10-01 19:11   
Well WDPFF I figure if you're forced to use your jumpgate and only get scouts, frigates, transports, and engineers, you already lost. That means every one of your shipyards in every one of your systems is lost. That can only happen if A: you didn't build enough shipyards, and B: your faction is never in the MV. In both cases, your faction lost and pretty much deserved that loss

And to camp the enemy jumpgate to prevent their use of frigates and the small ships is just adding insult to injury, and I don't see anyone wanting to waste their time to do that. Would you want to? Maybe a few sour grapes here would do that, but my guess is most won't. It's not worth the time.

EDIT: How about this? What if the safe zone is activated only when that jumpgate's faction has no shipyards? That will prevent the possible camping of an annihilated faction so they can at least have a slim chance of coming back (note SLIM as they can't get large ships), and also prevent the safe zone exploits because the safe zones are only around at semi-rare times.

[ This Message was edited by: MrSparkle on 2003-10-01 19:16 ]

Pope
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2003-10-01 19:28   

[ This Message was edited by: Baron von Richthofen on 2003-10-01 20:10 ]

Page created in 0.022994 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR