Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +4.6 Days

Search

Anniversaries

22th - Tellaris
17th - Oskar von Reuenthal

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Darkspace killjoys
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author Darkspace killjoys
unknown force
Cadet

Posted: 2003-09-15 17:08   
There is a saying that goes 'death by a thousand cuts' and it aptly describes the numerous little things that take away from the enjoyment of darkspace.

I shall attempt to list some of them and I am sure I will have left out some but these are the ones that come to mind at the moment and are not listed in any order of importance.

1. waiting for research to finish on a planet is like ' watching paint dry '
if research times are speeded up maybe by 50 percent than it would be all the more tolarble.

2. running out of fuel. I fly dreads most of the time in the MV and to get to the systems without gates can be tricky in some cases. There are times when it is Impossible to reach a friendly planet in the system to refuel when flying in alone. hmmm WHY not give us more fuel capacity? No battle was ever lost because of fuel capacity so it seems like its just another item to make the game annoying.

3. those nasty things that give you a red jump line like jumpgates and asteroids. Do we really need to know that an asteroid is in the jump path??
ditto for jumpgates which I jump right thru anyway. It just adds up to more wasted time trying to figure out whats causing the red jump line.

4. penalty for scrapping buildings on a planet. At the moment it seems that you lose more for scrapping than you gain from building so in the long run you will lose all your build points. In the MV especially, everybody needs to scrap structures now and then. It is inevitable if you want to play the game effectively. At the least the penalty for scrapping should be reduced a bit.

5. long jump times. If everybody had shorter jump times in the game it would simply mean less waiting and more time playing. How about reducing jump times by 50 percent? Jumping for nearly a minute across some systems is just plain annoying.

6. getting around in the MV takes too long. Just for example, the travel time between the two farthest systems in the MV is unbearable. I can probably cook my dinner in the time that it takes. Perhaps the /connect command should be allowed to some degree in the MV. It sure would make things more engaging and more active. Currently when I see activity in a system that is half a dozen jumpgates away, it just really takes away your enthusiasm to even bother.

7. logging/ getting disconected- this is somewhat related to number 6.
We all get disconected at some point and I guess that is unavoidable but when you throw in the long travel times in the MV and then you get disconnected and have to start all over? Talk about wasted time!
Similarly in order to change ships in the MV without sding or dying you must log and go back to your home system and then spend all the time traveling back which again equals more wasted time.

Well thats all I want to list now but I do want to say that I still think DS is a great game and have played it now for about a year and over that time these little annoyances have persistantly plagued my play experience enough that I wanted to make this post.

$wiss
Admiral

Posted: 2003-09-15 17:16   
here here

Krim {C?}
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2003-09-15 17:19   
Quote:

On 2003-09-15 17:08, Unknown Force wrote:

I Agree with this point, research time in Scenario is horribly slow, actually, I don't like the research system at all, because it would make no Cannon sense that if a Colony Hub was destroyed, suddenly the people loose all knowledge of all technology ever invented. A bit silly, but a nessicary game mechanic, I can understand.
Quote:

2. running out of fuel.

Good point, there is no combat relationship to Jump Fuel, as you've pointed out, it really only relates to long jumps. Soon with the Patch, all systems will be "long jump systems" without shipyards. Is this a good thing, or a bad thing, i'm not sure. The larger the ship, the more fuel it takes to jump.
Quote:

3. those nasty things that give you a red jump line like jumpgates and asteroids. Do we really need to know that an asteroid is in the jump path??

In some cases I think we do need to know. I don't agree that Jumpgates shouldn't have a line, I think it's important as well, or you might get sent to another system by mistake. This is all moot however, as the Jumpgates are going to be done away with.
Quote:

4. penalty for scrapping buildings on a planet.

I agree, I don't scrap things for a reason, if I do it anymore, i'm going to loose my silver eng badge. I think the dev's are working on a solution to this, what thier ideas are, i'm not sure however.
Quote:

5. long jump times.

I disagree. Jump times are approriate now. 30 Seconds can mean life or death. If you can attack an opponents planet while he's on the other side of a system, you know it's going to take him some time to get there and reinforce. I belive jump times are fine. Plus, remember what they were before the JD speed increase?
Quote:

6. and 7. (MV travel time, and Discon.)

Both will be offset with the upcomming Shipyard system in Beta, check it out, lots of new features in beta.

-Krim

The world is full of darkness, we are the one true light.

[ This Message was edited by: Krim {C?} on 2003-09-15 17:21 ]

GTN - Veneratio est Totus

Goto the website of Krim {C?}
Tbone
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2003-09-15 17:40   
Quote:
if research times are speeded up maybe by 50 percent than it would be all the more tolarble.

Build some research labs. I build more then most people, and I'm not bothered by it.

Quote:
2. running out of fuel. I fly dreads most of the time in the MV and to get to the systems without gates can be tricky in some cases. There are times when it is Impossible to reach a friendly planet in the system to refuel when flying in alone. hmmm WHY not give us more fuel capacity? No battle was ever lost because of fuel capacity so it seems like its just another item to make the game annoying.

Why are you so far away from a friendly system alone and with no supply? What could you possibly do in a dread alone in an enemy system. Only ship that oculd do something alone is the Command Dread, and it has its own reload so it doesn't have fuel problems.

Quote:
ditto for jumpgates which I jump right thru anyway. It just adds up to more wasted time trying to figure out whats causing the red jump line.

You will want to know if an asteroid is in your jump path once the 1.481 is released. They can really hurt you last time I checked. As for jump gates, do you want to be heading into a battle somewhere and find yourself in the ship selection screen or, in the case or Epsilon Eri, right beside a possible enemy planet? Because in beta, hit detection with the jump gates is much better, and you will go into them when you jump through them.

Quote:
4. penalty for scrapping buildings on a planet. At the moment it seems that you lose more for scrapping than you gain from building so in the long run you will lose all your build points. In the MV especially, everybody needs to scrap structures now and then. It is inevitable if you want to play the game effectively. At the least the penalty for scrapping should be reduced a bit.

This is true. The penalty needs to be lowered. But the reason you seem to lose more then gain is because you only gain prestige for the first building to set down. What I mean is if you build 5 defense bases at the same time, you only get the prestige for the first defense base (or so I was told, I would gladly be wrong on this).

Quote:
5. long jump times. If everybody had shorter jump times in the game it would simply mean less waiting and more time playing. How about reducing jump times by 50 percent? Jumping for nearly a minute across some systems is just plain annoying.

Obviously you weren't here with the old jump drive speeds. Right now we have 2400gu/sec and 3000gu/sec for Tachyon and AM Drives. The old speeds were 600gu/sec and 1000gu/sec. Speeds are fine.

Quote:
6. getting around in the MV takes too long. Just for example, the travel time between the two farthest systems in the MV is unbearable. I can probably cook my dinner in the time that it takes. Perhaps the /connect command should be allowed to some degree in the MV. It sure would make things more engaging and more active. Currently when I see activity in a system that is half a dozen jumpgates away, it just really takes away your enthusiasm to even bother.

Shipyards in 1.481. Check them out.

Quote:
We all get disconected at some point and I guess that is unavoidable but when you throw in the long travel times in the MV and then you get disconnected and have to start all over? Talk about wasted time!
Similarly in order to change ships in the MV without sding or dying you must log and go back to your home system and then spend all the time traveling back which again equals more wasted time.

See above.

Email Tbone
Null {C?}
Admiral
Evil Empires Inc.

Posted: 2003-09-15 17:47   
Quote:

I have to utterly disagree with you here, a little more than a year ago, I believe, all ships had half the amount of jump fuel that they do now, and in my opinion the game was markedly more fun to play. Especially in scenario, you didnt have the other side come over and bomb your planets when they were barely started building, teams were able to build up their resources before going into battle. Some will say that is the way the game should be played, I will say that it is definitely more fun that way. In the MV having the enemy in your homesystem was a BIG event. Now your enemy can just walk into your homesystem at any time with a huge fleet and cap as much as possible before resistance shows, because, it's not like it's a big deal.
I would however not be against having jumpdrives refuel faster at friendly planets and having drive reload times be a bit faster couldnt hurt. But, if anything, fuel should be reduced not increased.

-Null

Spiffmode the Unimpressed
Cadet

Posted: 2003-09-15 18:13   
Quote:
Quote:

Build some research labs. I build more then most people, and I'm not bothered by it.

I would like to see them re-implement super queing research (so that you could fill up the research queue) this would allow people to easily build multiple planets at a time. (I believe this was taken out because people would queue up research, lock, and forget about it)

I would like to see Lock limits in the Scenario servers (if you lock a planet, it stays locked for 30 min, unless unlocked by same rank or above) that would fix the builders forgetting about there planets. I also think it would be easier then a voting system to unlock planets locked by FA's.

Quote:
Quote:

This is true. The penalty needs to be lowered. But the reason you seem to lose more then gain is because you only gain prestige for the first building to set down. What I mean is if you build 5 defense bases at the same time, you only get the prestige for the first defense base (or so I was told, I would gladly be wrong on this).

Your right on this Tbone, an easy way to get pres is build structures one at a time (just pay attention to your drones)

Specterx
Fleet Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2003-09-15 18:36   
Disagree with everything but the points on research and scrapping prest. The rest will just serve to make DS more attractive to the instant-action twitch players.

Email Specterx   Goto the website of Specterx
Starrest {SNM} {C?}
Cadet

Posted: 2003-09-15 18:50   
Quote:

With the current version of DS those asteroids are a bit annoying...sure they make you look a little more closely when jumping. However, they are not all that big of a problem in my oppinion. It seems a bit picky to me.

As for the other issues brought up...they don't really have validity with the coming patch/update. Your research problem is one of impacience...this game isn't about getting the biggest baddest ship out and using it from the beginning of a round (scenario)...its requires time and pacience to get the resources and tech needed; and if you have something on a planet (MV) that you want removed just scrap it, or ask someone else to (there are usually a number of ppl around with no concern about dropping a few build points). But remember that someone else probably built that planet...dont' be destorying their work (unless its the enemy and your bombing it to the groung).

*And I understood that your get build points only from structures built with a "build". If your remote building you get nothing. Thus the dedicated Engy is reworded for sticking by his planet and getting the job done. And with scrapping structures...there needs to be a penalty, and I believe the penalty was added to keep ppl from grabbign one planet and building it up only to scrap and build again, thus getting 2x the Points for 1 planet*

As for your heading out into the far reaches of the MV with a dread...if you don't have a supply ship around your just asking for problems. This game isn't a CounterStrike, Wolfenstein, etc. type of game. Its requires teamwork and stratagy to pull off. Find yourself a group of ppl you like to fly with and trade off bringing a supply ship. If your in a fleet you should be doing this already.

[ This Message was edited by: Starrest {C?} on 2003-09-15 18:52 ]

The Monty
Cadet

Posted: 2003-09-15 20:29   
Quote:

2. running out of fuel. I fly dreads most of the time in the MV and to get to the systems without gates can be tricky in some cases. There are times when it is Impossible to reach a friendly planet in the system to refuel when flying in alone.

I think this should stay the way it is, going on a far trip? better bring a supply.
Quote:

Being as how asteroids actually kill you in beta, I think the red line is required.
Quote:

Not a bad idea.
Quote:

Ummm, Im not too keen on this idea. It should take some time to travel long distances.
Quote:

The shipyard feature should reduce the time it takes to get to one of your systems alot, considering we no longer have jumpgates.
Quote:

See #6.

Just my 2 cents.

Lith Ragond
Cadet
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2003-09-15 20:36   
i like #6s dont u monty?

anyway... this borders and a suggestion/discussion of DS, but as i've seen mostly what i would label "dev feedback" moving it to the appropriate forum.

Koda
Marshal
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2003-09-16 01:59   
@Null, during those days of smaller fuel capacity, were there more active players In the MV?

DarkestVorlon
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2003-09-16 04:32   
Research I agree with, in the MV its definately a nessacery thing. Its the only thing that stops a newly captured planet without a hub to become a deathstar in only a few minutes, in Scenario its rather useless, Scenario is a instant action game style after all.

Jump times and fuel are important and should be made more prevelant. When I was Kluth I could lonog jump with a AM drive across have the bloody distance from Sirius to CD give or take, Kluth got boring for me because of that and other reasons. And fuel has always been a deciding factor in naval battles, early WWII immediately after pearl US strike groups were in very poor shape fuel wise, mainy a air battle was lost or became a draw because of low fuel. If you want fast action, stick to FA. MV are for those who like a strategic game more then a tactical one.

Scrapping I also agree with, I have lost count how many times Ill be in MV and have to scrap a planet nearly to its hub and rebuild it because of a noobish engineer screwed up majorly. And what do i get for rebuilding a entire planet to be a effective center for my factions war effort? half of the prestige for building the planet as a negative number. You should get equal prestige to build a planet as scrap it, so if scrapping takes away 15 points building one should GIVE 15 points. In addition, the dev's possibly havent considered that not everyone in a military force will be a engineer, I know I am not. I only fill that role when no one else is around with any skill in it, otherwise Im in a combat ship.
Former Member of Agents.
Former Member of NX.
Founding and former member of KIGR.

Email DarkestVorlon
Dwarden
Admiral
CHIMERA

Posted: 2003-09-16 06:29   
Orbit any planet with hydrogen (e.g. gas giant) and it will reload ur fuel

Null {C?}
Admiral
Evil Empires Inc.

Posted: 2003-09-16 09:08   
Quote:

On 2003-09-16 01:59, CharAznable wrote:
@Null, during those days of smaller fuel capacity, were there more active players In the MV?

Free trials aside, there were more active players in general.

The Reaper
Cadet

Posted: 2003-09-16 11:31   
Holy quote-arama Batman!

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.027661 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR